Going to do alevels chem and bio pls help

Watch
Sximaaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone , I’m planning to do alevels biology and chemistry. Can someone with Grades A/A* help me and give me tips please. I’m looking at the spec and past papers and WOW 😂 it looks really difficult!! So please help me everyone with tips and tricks that helped you
TheOnlyIzzy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi ! I just got an A in biology so maybe I can help with that a bit.

- try and condense it as much as you can. throughout the whole year do proper notes (on a laptop) of each page after the lesson you covered it in. go through the textbook and highlight the most important bits, and then copy them down word for word onto an organised word file.

- later when it comes to revision, use these notes to then condense again onto a flashcard. you should be aiming for a around 1-2 flashcards per page. and it should be pretty clear, not crowded. test yourself over and over again.

- go through the past papers and learn how the mark scheme answers a question, and then try and answer in that format on closed book past papers.

- each question in an exam contains a 'que word' (analyse, describe etc). each of these is either A01, 2 or 3 (or a combination). learn which is for which, else you could get a question in an exam and write down all the right stuff, but it wasn't what the question wanted.

- last thing that really helped me towards the end is youtube videos. if the book is confusing, watch youtube tutorials until you find one that describes it in a way that makes sense.

hope all these help!!!! and good luck!!1
mpcwa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sximaaaa)
Hi everyone , I’m planning to do alevels biology and chemistry. Can someone with Grades A/A* help me and give me tips please. I’m looking at the spec and past papers and WOW 😂 it looks really difficult!! So please help me everyone with tips and tricks that helped you
Which spec? i did ocr.

Chemistry = I got an A. Found it pretty hard. Some people found it easier than biology, but I found it harder. Depends if you prefer applying stuff or just memorising loads of stuff.

Definitely revise as you go along. Make neat notes. Practice. With the organic stuff the SYNTHESIS MAP is key!!! I just revised that and barely had time to do anything else and got an A. That synthesis map is like 50% of everything you need to know.

Biology = I got an A*. Make sure your notes are looking fresh as you go along. Some people struggled with exam technique but I didn't really, I have quite a good memory and just wrote down pretty much everything I could remember for some questions and it got me marks.

Do practice questions from the start if you have time, but if not just make sure your notes are always comprehensive so that when you get to the end of year 13 all you need to do is read them through and practice.
TheOnlyIzzy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by IzzyGC)

- try and condense it as much as you can. throughout the whole year do proper notes (on a laptop) of each page after the lesson you covered it in. go through the textbook and highlight the most important bits, and then copy them down word for word onto an organised word file.

- later when it comes to revision, use these notes to then condense again onto a flashcard. you should be aiming for a around 1-2 flashcards per page. and it should be pretty clear, not crowded. test yourself over and over again.

- go through the past papers and learn how the mark scheme answers a question, and then try and answer in that format on closed book past papers.

- each question in an exam contains a 'que word' (analyse, describe etc). each of these is either A01, 2 or 3 (or a combination). learn which is for which, else you could get a question in an exam and write down all the right stuff, but it wasn't what the question wanted.

- last thing that really helped me towards the end is youtube videos. if the book is confusing, watch youtube tutorials until you find one that describes it in a way that makes sense.

oh and if you're doing edexcel Pearson (biology B) I still have all my word document notes from that. if you're doing that exam board, I can send you them
Meg1Smith
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I suppose my experience is a little different... I’ve only done first year but got two A*s.
I’m not really a note person. Idk what exam boards you use but I generally just used the textbooks - all the information is presented clearly unlike class notes. I tended to write up revision cards with questions on one side and answers on the other after every topic using the textbook to revise for end of year exams.
I found chemistry much easier, but as someone mentioned earlier, it depends whether you prefer memorisation (chemistry) or application (biology).
Practise papers are a must but there aren’t enough of them!
Genuinely don’t stress too much, just try to memorise the content through the year, looking at the spec, and you’ll be fine. Good luck!
mpcwa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
oh yeah, forgot to add- definitely type up notes on a Word document to start with. makes it so much clearer and you can add stuff. then put it onto a spider diagram or flashcard if you want to after that. My word documents were longggg (sometimes like 30 pages per topic) but somehow I just remember stuff. And even though it was 30 pages, once i knew the content quite well it only took like 15 minutes to read through. Sometimes I did condense it a lot more after that though
Sximaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by IzzyGC)

Thank you so much x
Sximaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpcwa)
oh yeah, forgot to add- definitely type up notes on a Word document to start with. makes it so much clearer and you can add stuff. then put it onto a spider diagram or flashcard if you want to after that. My word documents were longggg (sometimes like 30 pages per topic) but somehow I just remember stuff. And even though it was 30 pages, once i knew the content quite well it only took like 15 minutes to read through. Sometimes I did condense it a lot more after that though
Will definitely try that !! Thank you
Sximaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpcwa)
Which spec? i did ocr.

Chemistry = I got an A. Found it pretty hard. Some people found it easier than biology, but I found it harder. Depends if you prefer applying stuff or just memorising loads of stuff.

Definitely revise as you go along. Make neat notes. Practice. With the organic stuff the SYNTHESIS MAP is key!!! I just revised that and barely had time to do anything else and got an A. That synthesis map is like 50% of everything you need to know.

Biology = I got an A*. Make sure your notes are looking fresh as you go along. Some people struggled with exam technique but I didn't really, I have quite a good memory and just wrote down pretty much everything I could remember for some questions and it got me marks.

Do practice questions from the start if you have time, but if not just make sure your notes are always comprehensive so that when you get to the end of year 13 all you need to do is read them through and practice.
Hiii, could you post a picture of the synetheis map if that’s okay with you?
mpcwa
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sximaaaa)
Hiii, could you post a picture of the synetheis map if that’s okay with you?
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/359182...n-pathways.pdf

You won't understand what most of this means for ages but it's so useful for organic stuff
Sximaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpcwa)
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/359182...n-pathways.pdf

You won't understand what most of this means for ages but it's so useful for organic stuff
Thank you and damn what am I getting myself into 😂😭😭😭😭
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.27%
Less motivated (189)
68.73%

Watched Threads