harrybill90
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everybody,

I did a law degree, then went to teach English in China for 6 years. I love teaching and think it's the career for me.

I'm thinking of applying for a secondary geography PGCE (which I studied at A-level), I've been told I could get onto the course with a subject knowledge enhancement course but would I have a realistic prospect of getting a job afterwards? Or would schools much prefer actual geography graduates?

If not I would consider primary, but I think secondary would be my first choice.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Harry
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by harrybill90)
Hi everybody,

I did a law degree, then went to teach English in China for 6 years. I love teaching and think it's the career for me.

I'm thinking of applying for a secondary geography PGCE (which I studied at A-level), I've been told I could get onto the course with a subject knowledge enhancement course but would I have a realistic prospect of getting a job afterwards? Or would schools much prefer actual geography graduates?

If not I would consider primary, but I think secondary would be my first choice.

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Harry
Geography is a shortage subject, so you'd definitely have a realistic prospect of getting a job! If you've got otherwise good academics, the SKE shouldn't harm your prospects too much!

Some schools may prefer actual geography graduates, but a) they may not have a wide choice of candidates and b) if your application is otherwise strong, this won't necessarily stop them inviting you to interview.

I did a Biology SKE last year and then completed my PGCE this year, and I was able to get a job in an area of the country where the teacher shortage isn't so severe. My degree wasn't as unrelated as geography and law, but I did get my job over others who had degrees in the subject they wanted to teach

Your teaching experience abroad would also contribute to your employability!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%