Unexpected gap year in personal statement.

Watch this thread
bluedae
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am writing an economics personal statement, aiming to get offers from the top universities. However, I am unsure whether to briefly address I actually quit an art foundation course, hence I had half gap year and also why I will end up having another gap year (since entry date is 2020).

I have actually always done art and design subjects throughout GCSE and A-levels. After my a levels I had started a foundation art course because I wasn't sure what type of art degree I wanted. It turns out I didn't want to study an art degree at all, at the same time I picked up an interest for economics. I quit my foundation course back in December and self-taught an economics alevel. Would it make me seem fickle and not committed to mention I dropped out of a course? But wouldn't it also be weird not to explain why I am in a 1.5 gap year period after A-levels and why most of my qualifications are art and design?
Vin2000
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I’d say definitely don’t mention the fact that you want to take alther gap year. Just act like you’re applying for this year, and once they (hopefully) give you an offer, mention that you’d like to take the gap year.

As for the six month break and leaving the other course, thats up to you really. I’d probably just mention the things you did during the six month break and try not to mention that you left another course, but if you do feel you have to mention that you left, just be sure to add in stuff saying that you’re more mature now, more ready for fully committing to a course etc due to the fact that you did all this amazingly helpful stuff on your gap year.
bluedae
Rep:
(Original post by Vin2000)
I’d say definitely don’t mention the fact that you want to take alther gap year. Just act like you’re applying for this year, and once they (hopefully) give you an offer, mention that you’d like to take the gap year.

As for the six month break and leaving the other course, thats up to you really. I’d probably just mention the things you did during the six month break and try not to mention that you left another course, but if you do feel you have to mention that you left, just be sure to add in stuff saying that you’re more mature now, more ready for fully committing to a course etc due to the fact that you did all this amazingly helpful stuff on your gap year.
First, thanks for answering, but it's not I want to take another gap year, its that I will inevitably be on another one before I start my course. I am applying now for 2020 entry since 2019 entry is finished and I don't plan to go through clearing. Tbh, this year wasn't even a gap year, I literally went from one course to another self-taught one.

So, would you say it would be alright not to explain why I changed from art to economics and why I am not in university right now already?
Vin2000
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Oh ok, I understand now. You’re applying in time for the January deadline, got it 😅.

I don’t think you have to explain why you’re not doing an art related subject anymore. I think universities generally understand that sometimes, this sort of thing happens. People’s interests change. Just be sure to link everything you learnt from your art qualifications to economics, transferable skills and things like that.

Maybe you could very briefly mention this gap year then, and explain that you wanted to spend some time catching up with the other economics students by learning economics a level, as you want to be fully prepared for the course. You don’t have to, but I think it would show your commitment and how motivated you are.
bluedae
Rep:
(Original post by Vin2000)
Oh ok, I understand now. You’re applying in time for the January deadline, got it 😅.

I don’t think you have to explain why you’re not doing an art related subject anymore. I think universities generally understand that sometimes, this sort of thing happens. People’s interests change. Just be sure to link everything you learnt from your art qualifications to economics, transferable skills and things like that.

Maybe you could very briefly mention this gap year then, and explain that you wanted to spend some time catching up with the other economics students by learning economics a level, as you want to be fully prepared for the course. You don’t have to, but I think it would show your commitment and how motivated you are.
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (41)
16.8%
The paper was reasonable (97)
39.75%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
21.72%
It was TERRIBLE (53)
21.72%

Watched Threads