Worth doing Psychology conversion MSC if I have a Psch Bsc that is accredited? Watch

HaleStorm26
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've been wanting to do a Psychology Masters for a while but I am in full-time employment. The only Psychology masters I am coming across which can be studied online (and so accessible for me) are Msc Psychology conversion courses so I have signed up and been accepted on the University of Derby online Psychology Msc. It also happens to be a conversion course.
I'm just wondering whether it is worth me doing this and whether it is the equivalent of a regular Psychology Msc course? My undergrad is in Psychology and that degree was BPS accredited so I don't need the accreditation. I am just wanting to do a Masters and this seems like the only option.
Lmort003
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What will you study on this course that you haven’t already done? What do you want from the MSC and does this give you that?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by HaleStorm26)
I've been wanting to do a Psychology Masters for a while but I am in full-time employment. The only Psychology masters I am coming across which can be studied online (and so accessible for me) are Msc Psychology conversion courses so I have signed up and been accepted on the University of Derby online Psychology Msc. It also happens to be a conversion course.
I'm just wondering whether it is worth me doing this and whether it is the equivalent of a regular Psychology Msc course? My undergrad is in Psychology and that degree was BPS accredited so I don't need the accreditation. I am just wanting to do a Masters and this seems like the only option.
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that conversion courses are designed for those with a first degree unrelated to Psychology, as a way to bring them up to the required level of knowledge/accreditation. You'd already have the required knowledge given that you've done an accredited degree before, so if what I think is correct, you'll just be repeating the content of your first degree.

Are there any online master's in related areas that would be more worth studying? Why do you want to do a master's in the first place (e.g. career advancement)?
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that conversion courses are designed for those with a first degree unrelated to Psychology, as a way to bring them up to the required level of knowledge/accreditation. You'd already have the required knowledge given that you've done an accredited degree before, so if what I think is correct, you'll just be repeating the content of your first degree.

Are there any online master's in related areas that would be more worth studying? Why do you want to do a master's in the first place (e.g. career advancement)?
This.

Conversion courses are for non BPS accredited degrees.
Nmys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't do it. It will be covering everything you already know, and I would personally find that extremely boring. Masters are meant to be specific to hone an interest in a certain field, so doing a general MSc Psychology has basically no merit, especially if you want to pursue doctoral study.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (6)
7.59%
Disagree (5)
6.33%
Neither agree or disagree (22)
27.85%
Agree (32)
40.51%
Strongly Agree (14)
17.72%

Watched Threads