Study6076
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hey i just wanted to ask the people who got 9s when they started revising and what techniques they used and how much they revised?
devonricketts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I only got three 9s (& five 8s and a measly 7 in maths) at GCSE but I was predicted quite a few more before.

I started revising back in September before my exams in June and I certainly overworked myself. I'd recommend that if you do start in September of Y11 that you only make revision resources and go over things you struggle with - no need to try and revise everything!

It got so bad that I had burned myself out by April and thus I didn't revise as hard during GCSEs which may be why I didn't do as well as I had liked, but I'm still happy with my grades. I'd say start proper revision in January but again don't go too excessive with it; make time for friends, extracurriculars and hobbies. After all, your mental health is superior.
Last edited by devonricketts; 4 weeks ago
jadarose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got six 9s and two 8s. I started moderate revision in September which consisted of making sure I understood the topics, doing a couple practise questions, making some flashcards for end of topic tests. I would say from September to March, don't worry ahout memorising anything (except short term for mocks), just focus on understanding the content. Then from April, look over the spec and make sure you've covered all the content and start doing full exam papers for practise. Don't do exam papers from September because they are a limited resource, and you don't want to keep doing the same exam papers bc you'll end up memorising the markscheme rather than testing yourself (if that makes sense)
turarchy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It really depends on your natural ability.
I got 5 9s and did very minimal revision throughout year 11, only doing ‘proper’ revision the night before the exams. If you’re getting 7s, 8s, and 9s without revising then this will probably be enough. If you’re getting 6s you’ll want to put in a bit more work.

As for what revision is effective I would strongly advise doing past papers, especially for subjects like maths where similar questions pop up every year.

Don’t overthink GCSEs or you’ll burn out. They’re relatively easy unless you’re struggling to pass.
DGeorge13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got all 9s and started 30 mins 3 x a day in year 10 then built up to 3 x 1.5 hour segments a day in year 11. Everyone is different though
Taycamgame
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Most subjects I just revised the night before, you know, like most people.
I suppose that payed off for most things as I got atleast a 7 on most of my subjects, the lowest two being a 5 on English Lan (which you can't really revise for anyway) and a 6 on Biology.
I managed to get an 8 in Business Studies, usually I'd be aiming for a 9 but I ended up running out of time on the final question of paper 1 :/
I ended up with 2 9's, one in Computer Science and the other in Maths. Computer science was also a night before, but maths is the only one I actually revised heavily for on the lead up to exams (because I'm doing further maths next year and couldn't risk getting less than a 7).

Basically, it depends on the person. For me, revision on the night before worked for most subjects. I probably didn't need to revise for maths as much as I did and honestly, I probably should have spent some of that time revising for other subjects.
Shadowfang616
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got 6 9’s and I didn’t really revise much in year 10 but defs suggest revision over the summer to prepare for yr11. I made flashcards for all my subjects except maths which helped a lot in remembering content which I would look at the day before the exam. I suggest making rev material often. Over any holiday do lots of exam practice. Study the content before you are taught it in class as that counts as extra rev. For maths I just constantly practiced.
mez_merising
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6032444
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
10.81%
Disagree (3)
8.11%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.03%
Agree (12)
32.43%
Strongly Agree (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads