The Student Room Group

How much do you need to write for your EPQ first draft?

Hi, I'm a bit confused about how much you need to write when you submit your first draft of your EPQ. Do you need to write the full thing (5000-6000 words) or half of it or...?
Original post by serannya
Hi, I'm a bit confused about how much you need to write when you submit your first draft of your EPQ. Do you need to write the full thing (5000-6000 words) or half of it or...?

Wait where are you getting 6000 words?
The most you can write is 5500 if I’m not mistaken.
It’s your first draft, so you can go over as you’ll probably edit it down later if needed. Basically write the whole thing and your supervisor will check it and suggest any changes.

Or you could write an introduction and take it to your supervisor to make sure you’re on the right track.
Reply 2
Original post by S.carter
Wait where are you getting 6000 words?
The most you can write is 5500 if I’m not mistaken.
It’s your first draft, so you can go over as you’ll probably edit it down later if needed. Basically write the whole thing and your supervisor will check it and suggest any changes.

Or you could write an introduction and take it to your supervisor to make sure you’re on the right track.

My supervisor is a teacher who retired after taking on supervision. I can't go to him for help. Is it necessary for me to write the entire thing? Would it be okay if I submitted half of it or so for the first draft?
My supervisor is a teacher who retired after taking on supervision. I can't go to him for help. Is it necessary for me to write the entire thing? Would it be okay if I submitted half of it or so for the first draft?

What do you mean you can’t go to him for help?
The EPQ log form and your report has to be checked by him regularly and he needs to advise you on it, without a supervisor you can’t really do an EPQ as he has to fill out certain sections in the log book.
Yes, you could submit half to check if you’re on the right track, I’d recommend giving it a go and going for 4500-5000 words so you have all your ideas down, so any advice you get will be easier to implement.
Reply 4
Original post by S.carter
What do you mean you can’t go to him for help?
The EPQ log form and your report has to be checked by him regularly and he needs to advise you on it, without a supervisor you can’t really do an EPQ as he has to fill out certain sections in the log book.
Yes, you could submit half to check if you’re on the right track, I’d recommend giving it a go and going for 4500-5000 words so you have all your ideas down, so any advice you get will be easier to implement.

I started the process in May. He took on my proposal, changed the question a bit, approved my proposal and filled out certain sections of the log book until June/July. Over Summer, I've heard nothing from him as I know he's now retired from teaching at my SF college. He said I'd get a new supervisor in September when I start Y13, but unfortunately, my first draft is due before I go back, so before I get to meet them or find out who it is. I'm told the new supervisor will be a new teacher who's starting at my SF college as well, so I don't have a lot of hope.

Anyways, thank you for your advice. I will obviously try to write as much as possible, and hopefully all of it, but it eases the stress knowing I don't HAVE to write a full 5000~ word essay. Especially since my question is so complicated.
I started the process in May. He took on my proposal, changed the question a bit, approved my proposal and filled out certain sections of the log book until June/July. Over Summer, I've heard nothing from him as I know he's now retired from teaching at my SF college. He said I'd get a new supervisor in September when I start Y13, but unfortunately, my first draft is due before I go back, so before I get to meet them or find out who it is. I'm told the new supervisor will be a new teacher who's starting at my SF college as well, so I don't have a lot of hope.

Anyways, thank you for your advice. I will obviously try to write as much as possible, and hopefully all of it, but it eases the stress knowing I don't HAVE to write a full 5000~ word essay. Especially since my question is so complicated.

Ahhh i see, it really isn’t good that your school haven’t given you a new supervisor beforehand as it does make it a lot easier- they know what people need to do to get good grades.

Yeah, I’d say just give it a shot but if you’re really struggling then it’s better to write a couple of good paragraphs than 10 pages of waffle hahah
I think you can be 10% over or under for 5000 words- so either 4500 or 5500.
Anyway good luck!

Also it really helps if you cite sources throughout rather than having to go through the whole thing at the end.

Write the whole thing or longer, do not make it shorter than 5000 words. A good piece of advice my supervisor gave us when we were writing our first draft is "we want to improve the quality not quantity during the second draft". A 5000 word essay is a heavy undertaking and a large part of it is attempting structuring something so long so you can later improve it. If you only write half you will not be able effectively edit it afterwards because it half an essay will no allow you to figure out the structure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending