Am I crazy to do economics without maths?

Watch
Blue.142
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In my gcse I got a 7 in maths. I want to study economics at uni with Spanish. However I don’t think I am good enough to do A level maths. Some uni websites say that I could do economics and Spanish without maths but will I be rejected because I haven’t done maths? Also what other subjects are good to do with economics a level as I need a 3rd subject other than Spanish
Iju
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Blue.142)
In my gcse I got a 7 in maths. I want to study economics at uni with Spanish. However I don’t think I am good enough to do A level maths. Some uni websites say that I could do economics and Spanish without maths but will I be rejected because I haven’t done maths? Also what other subjects are good to do with economics a level as I need a 3rd subject other than Spanish
If you don't think you're good enough to do A-level maths then I'm not sure an Economics degree would be a very good idea. Imo if you have a 7 at GCSE maths you'll be fine at A-Level.

If you don't do it, I doubt the very top unis would take you, but you would probably be able to find a place at a decent one. It would also mean you're having to learn a lot of A-level maths from scratch at university anyway, with others on the same course having a head start.

It's definitely possibly to do Economics without Maths, but I would very strongly encourage you to take it anyway.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What makes you so sure you want to do Economics at uni when you haven't even started the A level course yet? There are some Economics degrees that don't require A level maths (only a good GCSE in it) and no, you won't get rejected for not having Maths if they don't state that it is a requirement for people to have it. Or you could choose Business with Spanish instead, that will normally have less maths content to it.
Last edited by harrysbar; 1 year ago
emegan02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Not taking maths is not an issue. At Exeter, I believe if you have a 7 in GCSE maths, you are able to do economics at degree level. What about Sociology, Psychology or Chemistry?
emegan02
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think a 7 is good enough for A level maths. You of course can take economics at uni without doing the A level. For example at Exeter, you just need at 7 at GCSE maths. I'd recommend doing A level as it sets you up well for uni. With Economics, Geography, Business and maybe a language would complement it well.
dontwatchthat8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
are economics, media studies and photography good a levels to take if i want to pursue a career in business or study at university?
dontwatchthat8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
which a levels best compliment economics(not maths)?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by dontwatchthat8)
are economics, media studies and photography good a levels to take if i want to pursue a career in business or study at university?
Yes they are fine if they accept those a levels
(Original post by dontwatchthat8)
which a levels best compliment economics(not maths)?
As a degree or a level?

Please dont bump an old thread but make a new discussion for a new post
etienne26
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
BA Economics possibly may have less maths than Bsc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.9%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (652)
41.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (324)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.6%

Watched Threads