WinterKuma
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So I narrowly missed my firm and insurance choices, and currently don't have a backup uni. I have applied for several unis in Clearing just in case, but have no interest in any of them. Instead, I'm keen on unis in Canada, in particular University of Toronto and the University of British Columbia (UBC) which accept A-Levels. My question is, would it be a better idea to enrol at a random uni and then transfer, or take a gap year and reapply (to both Canadian and UK unis)? I'm planning to enrol in an intensive Japanese language course in Japan, and then at a summer school in the US, should I take a gap year.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you enrol at a uni right away you'll have to pay money. If you take a gap year you won't.
WinterKuma
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
If you enrol at a uni right away you'll have to pay money. If you take a gap year you won't.
So what should I do?! I don't have a concrete plan yet for the gap year, and I don't want to regret wasting a year...
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by WinterKuma)
So what should I do?! I don't have a concrete plan yet for the gap year, and I don't want to regret wasting a year...
You should start by contacting said international unis and see if they'll accept a transfer from a UK university.
WinterKuma
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
You should start by contacting said international unis and see if they'll accept a transfer from a UK university.
Yes, they do accept transfers from the UK.
Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I took a gap year straight after a levels too and got a full-time job with a consultancy firm 4 weeks after so it really doesn’t take a long time to plan
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes, they do accept transfers from the UK.
What were your A level grades? Are they enough for UBC etc? How will you pay for your tuition? How will you pay for the Japanese language school?
WinterKuma
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
What were your A level grades? Are they enough for UBC etc? How will you pay for your tuition? How will you pay for the Japanese language school?
AAAA plus an A in the EPQ. Yes, they're enough. I don't have problems regarding finance.
WinterKuma
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bazyli)
I took a gap year straight after a levels too and got a full-time job with a consultancy firm 4 weeks after so it really doesn’t take a long time to plan
How did you apply for it?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
AAAA plus an A in the EPQ. Yes, they're enough. I don't have problems regarding finance.
That's good. What are you hoping to potentially major in in Canada?

What's your level of Japanese like? Where are you thinking of going for your language studies in Japan?
WinterKuma
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
That's good. What are you hoping to potentially major in in Canada?

What's your level of Japanese like? Where are you thinking of going for your language studies in Japan?
Economics. I have very limited knowledge in Japanese, but plan to improve over the next month. I'm thinking University of Tokyo, Kyoto, Tohoku, etc. but I will confirm my choices after consulting an agent on Tuesday. I would also like to work at the same time, but don't know what or where to apply, or whether to start something myself...
Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How did you apply for it?
I found openings at various local firms and emailed my cv around. They were impressed with my a levels and my interview so they offered me a job as a financial analyst and I’ve honestly learnt so much this year. How long is your course in Japan for because they only hired me due to my availability for the year. You’ll have plenty of opportunities to learn languages at uni (depending on where you go). At lse there’s a lot of choice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?