Is there any point in pursuing a career in engineering if... Watch

Obsidian440
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
If you have a 2.1 in Chemical Engineering and were unsuccessful in obtaining internships, placements and work experience opportunities and you have no family or close friends who work in any technical area.

Am I right to feel graduate schemes only take on people who have worked as an intern or placement students.

I am extremely sad because I always said yes to try new things, volunteer and enrich myself to achieve my high ambitions to find the people who didn't bother with being more than your degree are more successful than me and now all my experiences are irrelevant to these graduate schemes.

Now I feel I have to apply to jobs I could have applied to through apprenticeships and after my A levels. Honestly I just feel university is the biggest scam, it was meant to help my family to progress out of poverty not stay in it and help me achieve my dreams I wanted to do something extraordinary.
Student-95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Experience helps but it's not essential. Also, graduate schemes aren't the only entry level positions.

How many positions have you applied to and how many interviews have you had?
Last edited by Student-95; 4 weeks ago
Obsidian440
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student-95)
Experience helps but it's not essential. Also, graduate schemes aren't the only entry level positions.

How many positions have you applied to and how many interviews have you had?
Roughly 600 and only 1 interview, 3 video interviews, 5 online tests and 1 telephone interview since first year at university ranging from gradcracker, company sites, speculative letters, linkedin, indeed, reed, cv library, targetjobs, part-time jobs, recruitment agencies and most my applications have been to entry level positions.
lightningbladex4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
which university did you go to
ParagonProxy
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Obsidian440)
Roughly 600 and only 1 interview, 3 video interviews, 5 online tests and 1 telephone interview since first year at university ranging from gradcracker, company sites, speculative letters, linkedin, indeed, reed, cv library, targetjobs, part-time jobs, recruitment agencies and most my applications have been to entry level positions.
Hello Obsidian440,

Sounds incredibly tough. However, those numbers look a bit odd, if you are applying to internships and grad schemes they usually automate initial applications onto the testing stage,-- shouldn't you have done far more than just 5 online tests and 3 video interviews?

If you have made 600 applications and are still not managing to obtain a position, that would most definitively indicate that it is your application which is in the wrong here. Have you got it checked out by a professional or a senior with some years of experience in the field?

Don't give up hope, and definitely do not compare to people who focused very hard on their studies - be happy they did well. Your experiences definitely count for something and I would strongly encourage you to apply for graduate schemes once they open this year.

Kind regards,

Paragon
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As above, with those numbers your application is no good. There is a CV help forum here where you can upload your cv to get another perspective.
Obsidian440
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student-95)
As above, with those numbers your application is no good. There is a CV help forum here where you can upload your cv to get another perspective.
I have uploaded my cv on student rooms helper yesterday and been working on it today. I just feel like a failure and don't know why I exist anymore. Its my 4th year of applying for getting my first technical work experience.
Obsidian440
Rep:
?
(Original post by lightningbladex4)
which university did you go to
Bradford its ranked 3rd for my course in the 2019 year of my graduation according to the guardian. Besides I know plenty of people who went to my uni and are on their 2nd work experience who weren't as active as I was in the extra curricular areas.
Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Bradford its ranked 3rd for my course in the 2019 year of my graduation according to the guardian. Besides I know plenty of people who went to my uni and are on their 2nd work experience who weren't as active as I was in the extra curricular areas.
Unfortunately this is a case of where the uni you went to really matters unless you have A LOT of experience. How come you didn’t apply to work experience placements from year 1 of your course? So many people sit on their laurels until graduation rather than sorting well-rounded applications early and fitting in a good amount of work experience before they graduate. You could have used the careers service at your uni for example to help you
Obsidian440
Rep:
?
(Original post by ParagonProxy)
Hello Obsidian440,

Sounds incredibly tough. However, those numbers look a bit odd, if you are applying to internships and grad schemes they usually automate initial applications onto the testing stage,-- shouldn't you have done far more than just 5 online tests and 3 video interviews?

If you have made 600 applications and are still not managing to obtain a position, that would most definitively indicate that it is your application which is in the wrong here. Have you got it checked out by a professional or a senior with some years of experience in the field?

Don't give up hope, and definitely do not compare to people who focused very hard on their studies - be happy they did well. Your experiences definitely count for something and I would strongly encourage you to apply for graduate schemes once they open this year.

Kind regards,

Paragon
Not all 600 were graduate schemes half of these are entry level jobs only wanting a CV, majority of the application don't even reply to let know you failed, I found it incredible frustrating only getting passed the initial for the number of fingers I have on my hands, between 30/50 per year were the online forms from gradcracker, most of the applications I applied to required CV + CL, I avoided the likes of BP, GSK...etc because I knew the competition would be too high, I focused on SMEs and made speculative applications to places where I had links to or seen passed students from my uni succeed at.
Obsidian440
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bazyli)
Unfortunately this is a case of where the uni you went to really matters unless you have A LOT of experience. How come you didn’t apply to work experience placements from year 1 of your course? So many people sit on their laurels until graduation rather than sorting well-rounded applications early and fitting in a good amount of work experience before they graduate. You could have used the careers service at your uni for example to help you
I applied to internships in my first year and second year, placements in my 2nd and third year while juggling 10 different roles to enrich myself at uni and completing my chemical engineering course. I started working on CV in the 3rd week of uni booking my first careers appointment, each year I regularly contacted the careers department and seeked helped on applications I was most invested in.

I suffered a lot mentally and now there is no reward or show for all my hard work and I am in £50K in debt because I come from a poor background it just seems like i was better off aiming low and doing an apprenticeship from 16 that way I could be supporting my family at home.
Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I applied to internships in my first year and second year, placements in my 2nd and third year while juggling 10 different roles to enrich myself at uni and completing my chemical engineering course. I started working on CV in the 3rd week of uni booking my first careers appointment, each year I regularly contacted the careers department and seeked helped on applications I was most invested in.

I suffered a lot mentally and now there is no reward or show for all my hard work and I am in £50K in debt because I come from a poor background it just seems like i was better off aiming low and doing an apprenticeship from 16 that way I could be supporting my family at home.
Life’s hard, what can I say
Obsidian440
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bazyli)
Life’s hard, what can I say
You are right, life's hard, I am just not cut out for it, all those who mocked me were right about me all along, I feel so stupid for trying, dreaming and believing I could change my life around.
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
1 interview, 3 video interviews, 5 online tests and 1 telephone interview

you've been given some very bad advice by careers advisors if those are your response rates.
Obsidian440
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
1 interview, 3 video interviews, 5 online tests and 1 telephone interview

you've been given some very bad advice by careers advisors if those are your response rates.
I have tried to check out what top unis advice are for career help and read engineering careers advice in magazines.
Student-95
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You are right, life's hard, I am just not cut out for it, all those who mocked me were right about me all along, I feel so stupid for trying, dreaming and believing I could change my life around.
Don't be silly, you've just been going about it the wrong way. You have plenty of good experience to include in your applications but your old cv was written poorly so nobody knew about it. Finish fixing your cv then get back to applying. Drop the self pity for when you get to interviews.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
14.29%
Disagree (0)
0%
Neither agree or disagree (3)
21.43%
Agree (5)
35.71%
Strongly Agree (4)
28.57%

Watched Threads