petitcroissant
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm due to study a Law degree in september but i'm worried i'll be bored by it, I've looked through the modules, looked through exam papers and reading material and it all seems convoluted and difficult and i'm someone who is easily bored however when i attended my unis open day they made the taster lectures pretty interesting.
Still, I am wondering if I should switch to politics despite this being a less prestigious degree to hold, because i'm very interested in social justice and also think it'd be easier to achieve a 1st or 2:1 in it.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 4 weeks ago
i think i may be the only TSR user who genuinely doesn't think studying law is boring. but i always argued my work from a political and/or philosophical perspective and not just a list of 'rules'. i mean, you must know the rules but you need to understand why we have them and if they are worth anything.

if i had to do it over again tho, i'd probably do a politics degree. i took two politics modules in my final year and i *think* it's easier to get a first in that subject than law, which is not easy. what is your ultimate goal career wise? ps i wouldn't study a degree because of it's so-called 'prestige'. there are lots of law degrees in the UK that are not prestigious anyway.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A lot of people seem to say law is boring but I really think it depends on the type of law you're studying. Some law can be really interesting and you can consider the topic in question from many viewpoints.
Other topics can be quite tedious where the "rules" aren't so clear cut or where there's no consensus on an issue, but even that can make for an interesting read.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I always heard the hardest part of a law degree is convincing yourself you're actually interested in it for some reason other than hypothetical job prospects...
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
I always heard the hardest part of a law degree is convincing yourself you're actually interested in it for some reason other than hypothetical job prospects...
The hardest part is finding enough time in the day to even breathe. :lol:
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Aye, it's convoluted and difficult. Few people can enjoy it.

Give it a week or two, though. Your uni might let you transfer to another easier course when you're there.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I loved my favourite law modules more than I would love my favourite politics modules. Which is why I'm doing a Master's and trying to publish my stuff.

But at least 2/3rds of my degree were boring shet that, at best, involved boring debates about obscure areas of the law that are rarely even used in real life. I'm increasingly of the opinion that law doesn't deserve to be a discipline of its own - just teach economists and other social scientists how to use Westlaw lol
petitcroissant
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Joleee)
i think i may be the only TSR user who genuinely doesn't think studying law is boring. but i always argued my work from a political and/or philosophical perspective and not just a list of 'rules'. i mean, you must know the rules but you need to understand why we have them and if they are worth anything.

if i had to do it over again tho, i'd probably do a politics degree. i took two politics modules in my final year and i *think* it's easier to get a first in that subject than law, which is not easy. what is your ultimate goal career wise? ps i wouldn't study a degree because of it's so-called 'prestige'. there are lots of law degrees in the UK that are not prestigious anyway.
Thank you for your response!
So how comes you would do politics over law if you enjoyed studying your degree?
I’m not sure what my ultimate goal is, I mean human rights lawyer, immigration lawyer and criminal lawyer have seemed interesting to me but I know there’s little money in it, the hours are tedious and the workload load can be depressing with little reward because of how these cases tend to go. But that’s what made me think politics would be better suited to me because I’m interested in how power affects all of us and politics is current and literally affects all of us, in my opinion there’s more chance of me ending up in a job that will impact society in some way even if it’s very localised lol. The degree i’m due to start is at a top Russell group buts it’s a BA (joint honors) and my uni ranks higher for politics than law (5th for pol, 20smth for law) Anyway sorry for ranting.
Can you tell me more about your law exams? Was it difficult to get a first or high 2:1? and what career paths has ur degree op her up to you?
A lot of questions I know.... I’m sorry 😅
Last edited by petitcroissant; 3 weeks ago
petitcroissant
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
A lot of people seem to say law is boring but I really think it depends on the type of law you're studying. Some law can be really interesting and you can consider the topic in question from many viewpoints.
Other topics can be quite tedious where the "rules" aren't so clear cut or where there's no consensus on an issue, but even that can make for an interesting read.
You say types of law but aren’t the core modules the same everywhere you go? Granted my uni does have interesting optional modules in years 3 and 4 but it’s the core modules that I’m scared will bore me to death. And when I’m bored to death I don’t work hard at all. Thank you for ur response btw!!
petitcroissant
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
well... that plus parental pressure and you’ve caught me out aha....
petitcroissant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
Aye, it's convoluted and difficult. Few people can enjoy it.

Give it a week or two, though. Your uni might let you transfer to another easier course when you're there.
Yeah I emailed my uni!! They said it’s fine if I try it for a week or 2 then speak to my department
petitcroissant
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohanGRK)
I loved my favourite law modules more than I would love my favourite politics modules. Which is why I'm doing a Master's and trying to publish my stuff.

But at least 2/3rds of my degree were boring shet that, at best, involved boring debates about obscure areas of the law that are rarely even used in real life. I'm increasingly of the opinion that law doesn't deserve to be a discipline of its own - just teach economists and other social scientists how to use Westlaw lol
Congrats for getting through the boring shet, I don’t think me and my 5 second attention span have the willpower. Good luck on getting your stuff published
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by petitcroissant)
You say types of law but aren’t the core modules the same everywhere you go? Granted my uni does have interesting optional modules in years 3 and 4 but it’s the core modules that I’m scared will bore me to death. And when I’m bored to death I don’t work hard at all. Thank you for ur response btw!!
Yeah, you have to take certain modules for it to be a qualifying law degree. That's exactly what I mean though, some of the core modules can be interesting but some are mind numbingly boring. I loved Contract, but Land law for example was both tedious and boring.
petitcroissant
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Yeah, you have to take certain modules for it to be a qualifying law degree. That's exactly what I mean though, some of the core modules can be interesting but some are mind numbingly boring. I loved Contract, but Land law for example was both tedious and boring.
Is looking through exams and pdfs on the modules a good way for me to know if i’ll enjoy them or not so I can make a decision to switch early on?
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is looking through exams and pdfs on the modules a good way for me to know if i’ll enjoy them or not so I can make a decision to switch early on?
I think that you should go through 2 or 3 weeks of just grinding through the reading, preparing for classes/tutorials, etc. Things that you'll be doing for 3 years if you commit to the law degree.

I don't think that exam questions are a great way of determining anything, because most of them will make no sense to you and the minority that do will either be super-dull or super-interesting (and therefore not necessarily representative of the bulk of what you'll be studying).
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I wouldn't bother looking at exams so early on but I'd definitely suggest trying to find some cases, or look for some law books to read (you can find plenty of previews on Google Books) You'll be reading and summarising notes the majority of the time so it's probably best to start with that.

As Johan said, looking at the exams will probably be the worst thing to do since you wouldn't have the foggiest what to do with it unless you're taught some content, they look really daunting first hand.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Difficult to know if you'll enjoy law by looking at exams, modules or cases/textbooks. You don't know this stuff yet, it will all look foreign and weird, and hence you're much more likely to say "nah, it's not for me". Law relies a lot on background understanding to progress.
username4410594
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It can be very boring parts of the Law, however I find the exams not as boring since I like problem questions and problem solving. Once you learn the content the exam will not seem as daunting or as boring. Most unis let you change after first year so perhaps give the law a year and see if you like it or not?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.6%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (230)
58.38%
No (138)
35.03%

Watched Threads