help- A level subject to go with Eng lit and Geography?!?! Watch

studiesss_123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am about to start sixth form and my current options are English Literature and Geography. I don't really know what I want to do in the future but I am considering journalism or law- I love learning about different cultures, the environment and the world and am passionate about travel.
I really don't know what to choose for my third option. My GCSE options were triple science, art, religious studies and geography, as at the time I was really focused on pursuing a science based career. Now though I have sort of lost interest in science :/
What shall I choose for my third option? My sixth form doesn't offer religious studies, which I would have taken, as this goes really well with my options, so my only current options are english language, sociology, art or a science, as my last option. Please helpppp I dunno what to do aha :/ thank you!!!
ujabri
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
History!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A foreign language, Religious Studies & Ethics or History would be good choices. :rambo:
studiesss_123
Rep:
?
hmm, might consider history- it would go well with my options- thank you! Didn't do it at GCSE tho so don't really know what it's like. Did you enjoy it?
I would have done a language but didn't do one at gcse and now I wish I had lol :/
eilish1903
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
biology. the skills you'll learn from it will really help and it'll look good when you get round to ucas.
studiesss_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by eilish1903)
biology. the skills you'll learn from it will really help and it'll look good when you get round to ucas.
thanks- gonna look into it. Do you think it goes with my other subjects?
It's such a hard decision aha :/// Don't want to take a subject and not enjoy it, but I also want to make sure I can get into uni
tani.i
Badges: 3
Report 3 weeks ago
Considering your options, I would recommend Sociology (I've never studied it), but one of my friends wants to become a journalist and she is studying English Lang.,Sociology and Psychology at the moment. In terms of Sociology, she finds very interesting and relevant learning how society behaves when there is conflict/controversial ideas are discussed in particular. Also, I think it would be a good mix with your other chosen subjects. But most importantly, remember to choose what YOU think you will enjoy!
Good luck with everything!
studiesss_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by tani.i)
Considering your options, I would recommend Sociology (I've never studied it), but one of my friends wants to become a journalist and she is studying English Lang.,Sociology and Psychology at the moment. In terms of Sociology, she finds very interesting and relevant learning how society behaves when there is conflict/controversial ideas are discussed in particular. Also, I think it would be a good mix with your other chosen subjects. But most importantly, remember to choose what YOU think you will enjoy!
Good luck with everything!
Thank you! Sociology does look really interesting and I do think it goes well with my other subjects. The only thing that puts me off taking it is that I've heard that its kind of like a soft subject and like Unis don't like it :/ is that true? Or shall I take it?- my friend is taking it and she said on the taster day that I would really enjoy it as it is kind of similar to some of the stuff we did in RS. Thank you for your advice tho- I really appreciate it aha
eilish1903
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by studiesss_123)
thanks- gonna look into it. Do you think it goes with my other subjects?
It's such a hard decision aha :/// Don't want to take a subject and not enjoy it, but I also want to make sure I can get into uni
I think biology will help because it requires a different kind of thinking. you have to apply a lot of the knowledge you learn to different scenarios they give you but i think it'll go well because geography is also classed as a science and English includes a lot of inferring of information. If you was to do history you wouldn't really learn any different skills from what you will in English. The subject content is obviously different but the skills are pretty much the same. You'll also have to do required practicals if you do biology, which you'll get a practical endorsement certificate for. This will show unis you're a competent thinker, can plan investigations, follow instructions and solve problems. Plus having to plan investigations will help you when it comes to your dissertation in uni. Biology may require a fair bit of self studying to make sure you get the top grades, but in my opinion its like that with any a level. Plus if you decided to take biology n need help with anything hit me up. I've just finished a biochemistry degree and im now going into teacher training for sciences so I can help 😊
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hmm, might consider history- it would go well with my options- thank you! Didn't do it at GCSE tho so don't really know what it's like. Did you enjoy it?
I would have done a language but didn't do one at gcse and now I wish I had lol :/
You could do A level Religious Studies. Extremely, extremely interesting and most of it is common knowledge. Definitely an easy way to get a great grade.
studiesss_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by eilish1903)
I think biology will help because it requires a different kind of thinking. you have to apply a lot of the knowledge you learn to different scenarios they give you but i think it'll go well because geography is also classed as a science and English includes a lot of inferring of information. If you was to do history you wouldn't really learn any different skills from what you will in English. The subject content is obviously different but the skills are pretty much the same. You'll also have to do required practicals if you do biology, which you'll get a practical endorsement certificate for. This will show unis you're a competent thinker, can plan investigations, follow instructions and solve problems. Plus having to plan investigations will help you when it comes to your dissertation in uni. Biology may require a fair bit of self studying to make sure you get the top grades, but in my opinion its like that with any a level. Plus if you decided to take biology n need help with anything hit me up. I've just finished a biochemistry degree and im now going into teacher training for sciences so I can help 😊
Wow, that is very good advice and makes a lot of sense- thank youuuu!! going to definitely consider it as an option! Never really though of biology in that way, but I suppose it would be a good subject to support English and Geography, and the skills learnt would be useful for the careers I am looking into.
studiesss_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
You could do A level Religious Studies. Extremely, extremely interesting and most of it is common knowledge. Definitely an easy way to get a great grade.
Yeah, I would have done but the sixth form doesn't offer it as an option :/
tani.i
Badges: 3
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you! Sociology does look really interesting and I do think it goes well with my other subjects. The only thing that puts me off taking it is that I've heard that its kind of like a soft subject and like Unis don't like it :/ is that true? Or shall I take it?- my friend is taking it and she said on the taster day that I would really enjoy it as it is kind of similar to some of the stuff we did in RS. Thank you for your advice tho- I really appreciate it aha
I've never heard of Sociology being considered a soft subject. However if you're worried that your UCAS application won't be competitive enough by studying this subject, you could choose English Lang or maybe, something more Science related like Biology, which was mentioned in one of the posts above, although you wrote that you sort of lost interest in Science. As someone who's taking all three Science A Levels, I think that you will need A LOT of interest to persevere in studying one of them, so decide what's best for you.
proudmonkey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am about to start sixth form and my current options are English Literature and Geography. I don't really know what I want to do in the future but I am considering journalism or law- I love learning about different cultures, the environment and the world and am passionate about travel.
I really don't know what to choose for my third option. My GCSE options were triple science, art, religious studies and geography, as at the time I was really focused on pursuing a science based career. Now though I have sort of lost interest in science :/
What shall I choose for my third option? My sixth form doesn't offer religious studies, which I would have taken, as this goes really well with my options, so my only current options are english language, sociology, art or a science, as my last option. Please helpppp I dunno what to do aha :/ thank you!!!
I would consider doing politics as your final option. It is less rigorous than History but still highly regarded by universities. Furthermore, it could prove beneficial in Journalism.
studiesss_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by tani.i)
I've never heard of Sociology being considered a soft subject. However if you're worried that your UCAS application won't be competitive enough by studying this subject, you could choose English Lang or maybe, something more Science related like Biology, which was mentioned in one of the posts above, although you wrote that you sort of lost interest in Science. As someone who's taking all three Science A Levels, I think that you will need A LOT of interest to persevere in studying one of them, so decide what's best for you.
Thank you - going to look into Sociology some more as I do think it looks very interesting, aswell as Biology. Yeah, I am a bit worried that if I take Biology I won't enjoy it :/ but it's been like such a long summer and I haven't done any work for so long aha, so I don't know if I've just gotten out of work for a bit, if you know what I mean? My initial options were Biology, Chemistry and Geography but over the summer I did rethink it and change my mind, but I may find I will like Biology? I am so indecisive it's terrible ahaha
studiesss_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by proudmonkey)
I would consider doing politics as your final option. It is less rigorous than History but still highly regarded by universities. Furthermore, it could prove beneficial in Journalism.
Will consider it- thank you
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
History
Or failing that, a language.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you're considering journalism or law then what you take with those other two hardly even matters to be honest, if you're doing English lit you've p much already covered your bases. In your place I'd probably do history as it's very good for contextualising stuff, but the main concern should be picking something you think you're gonna like enough to actually work hard in it.
studiesss_123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
If you're considering journalism or law then what you take with those other two hardly even matters to be honest, if you're doing English lit you've p much already covered your bases. In your place I'd probably do history as it's very good for contextualising stuff, but the main concern should be picking something you think you're gonna like enough to actually work hard in it.
Yeah, okay- thank you!!
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah, I would have done but the sixth form doesn't offer it as an option :/
Ah, that's a shame. In that case, definitely consider History. Extremely interesting and very, very useful analytical skills that will be relevant to both Law, Journalism and anything else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?