Advice on whether to do further maths at A-Level Watch

AW_12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So in my GCSEs I had an A* for Maths and an A for numeracy. But with maths I had 110 UMS marks and the requirement for an A* was 109 so I just made it.
Taking this into consideration, would it be okay for me to do further maths?

Overall I’m thinking of taking Biology, Maths, Further Maths and History. I’d probably drop Biol at the end of the first year.
m2b
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Basically the same happened to me I scrapped the 8 and decided I wasn’t really talented/ passionate enough to take on further so i left it
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why wouldn't it be? As long as you're prepared to put in the work required, and you enjoy doing maths and find it interesting, there's little to reason to believe you couldn't do well in it with your background as described.
AW_12
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Why wouldn't it be? As long as you're prepared to put in the work required, and you enjoy doing maths and find it interesting, there's little to reason to believe you couldn't do well in it with your background as described.
I was concerned that just getting an A* wouldn’t be enough. But yeah I do enjoy maths. Thanks for the reply!
AW_12
Rep:
?
(Original post by m2b)
Basically the same happened to me I scrapped the 8 and decided I wasn’t really talented/ passionate enough to take on further so i left it
Was it really demanding?
harrysbar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AW_12)
So in my GCSEs I had an A* for Maths and an A for numeracy. But with maths I had 110 UMS marks and the requirement for an A* was 109 so I just made it.
Taking this into consideration, would it be okay for me to do further maths?

Overall I’m thinking of taking Biology, Maths, Further Maths and History. I’d probably drop Biol at the end of the first year.
I think you should give it a go if you enjoy Maths and might want to continue it at uni. If you start with 4 A levels you always have the option of dropping your least favourite one at a later stage if it becomes a bit too much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate