ahpleasehelpme
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I received my GCSE results a few days ago and am a little worried they aren't good enough to be considered a place at Oxford university. I would love to apply there to study English literature but have been underwhelmed by a few of my GCSE results. I achieved 5 8s (A*), 1 7 (A), 1 6 (B) and a 5 (C-argh!) I did get my top grades in English and history etc, which would play a role in the course iteslf but the 5 and 6 have worried me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especcialy when i am choosing my A levels. Thanks.
inspiringcolours
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
GCSEs are not as important as A Levels. These are very good results and two grades are not going to stop them from giving you an offer. They consider GCSE, AS, and predicted grades, your Personal Statement, your reference, your written work, your entrance exam, your interview, any courses you've been on and probably more (I'm a Cambridge applicant myself, currently about to start Year 13, so I know the process well.) GCSEs are a tiny aspect of that and both Oxford and Cambridge have said that even if somebody had extremely low GCSE results, it would be counteracted by good performance throughout sixth form. I really wouldn't worry about a 5 and a 6. Good luck with Sixth Form and your application!
ahpleasehelpme
Rep:
?
That’s great to hear, thanks so much for the response. Best of luck with your Cambridge application!
ahpleasehelpme
Rep:
?
(Original post by inspiringcolours)
GCSEs are not as important as A Levels. These are very good results and two grades are not going to stop them from giving you an offer. They consider GCSE, AS, and predicted grades, your Personal Statement, your reference, your written work, your entrance exam, your interview, any courses you've been on and probably more (I'm a Cambridge applicant myself, currently about to start Year 13, so I know the process well.) GCSEs are a tiny aspect of that and both Oxford and Cambridge have said that even if somebody had extremely low GCSE results, it would be counteracted by good performance throughout sixth form. I really wouldn't worry about a 5 and a 6. Good luck with Sixth Form and your application!
Thats great, thanks so much for your advice. Best of luck with your Cambridge application!
m_j_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I feel the same way, before the exams I was predicted, 10 9s, 2 8s and 1 7 but ended up with 5 9s ,3 8s ,1 7, 3 6s and a 5 (8A* 1 A 3 B 1 C) and I feel like I absolutely screwed up my chances to get I to Oxbridge med school
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ahpleasehelpme)
I received my GCSE results a few days ago and am a little worried they aren't good enough to be considered a place at Oxford university. I would love to apply there to study English literature but have been underwhelmed by a few of my GCSE results. I achieved 5 8s (A*), 1 7 (A), 1 6 (B) and a 5 (C-argh!) I did get my top grades in English and history etc, which would play a role in the course iteslf but the 5 and 6 have worried me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especcialy when i am choosing my A levels. Thanks.
Have a look on the Oxford website to see what their A level requirements are.
ahpleasehelpme
Rep:
?
(Original post by m_j_)
I feel the same way, before the exams I was predicted, 10 9s, 2 8s and 1 7 but ended up with 5 9s ,3 8s ,1 7, 3 6s and a 5 (8A* 1 A 3 B 1 C) and I feel like I absolutely screwed up my chances to get I to Oxbridge med school
Oh no, those are still incredible results but I relate to you in the disappointment. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.
ahpleasehelpme
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scotney)
Have a look on the Oxford website to see what their A level requirements are.
Thanks. I’m taking a level English Lang, lit and classical civilisation which is deemed appropriate on their website. My friend was also accepted after studying these so hopefully I’m steering myself back on to the right track.
m_j_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh no, those are still incredible results but I relate to you in the disappointment. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.
O wow, that’s a lot. You got great too, don’t forget 8=9 in Oxford’s eyes lol. So imo your more than fine.
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by m_j_)
O wow, that’s a lot. You got great too, don’t forget 8=9 in Oxford’s eyes lol. So imo your more than fine.
Have a look at the Are my GCSE's good enough for' thread by Artful Lounger as it gives a lot of useful info on Med Schools.
ahpleasehelpme
Rep:
?
(Original post by m_j_)
Yay that’s great, do they not see much difference in them? I was worried they would see a huge gap (despite it only being one grade different haha)
ahpleasehelpme
Rep:
?
Have a look at the Are my GCSE's good enough for' thread by Artful Lounger as it gives a lot of useful info on Med Schools.
Thanks, I’ll check it out
inspiringcolours
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thats great, thanks so much for your advice. Best of luck with your Cambridge application!
Thank you so much!
tbofig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As someone who just finished year 13, Oxford are very heavy on GCSEs. You might be better looking at Cambridge as they take a more wholistic approach. Still fantastic results though, well done!
HarrisonTaylr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
As someone who got onto the most competitive course in oxford (E&M), i would say not to worry at all about your GCSE results. I got 3 A*, 2 A, 3 B, 1 C and a G (R.S). I'd say predicted a level results are more important as i was predicted 3 A*. Good Luck anyways
NinjaBurger1337
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
GCSEs really don't matter much man and yours are good enough for you to not worry about them. I was a PPE Oxford applicant and my GCSEs were 3A* 5As 1 B and 1 C whilst my predicated A-Levels were A*AA. I didn't get in because my interview went poorly but that's unrelated to my GCSEs which shows you you're fine since my GCSEs are worse than yours.

I don't know what course you want to apply to but forget about your GCSEs. GCSEs are a big lie and you only realise this after you do them. The only purpose of GCSEs is to get you into 6form and after that no one cares less. Focus on getting A-Levels which are required or preferred for the course you want. If they don't specify any ask around or look around for statistics of previous applicants and what they studied- there is a lot of info about Oxbridge applications out there if you look for it, a lot of statistical breakdowns. If you're not set on a specific course but you know the general direction pick your subjects accordingly. For example if you are a humanities dominant student take History or English Literature. If you would want to go into medicine chose biology or chemistry. If you want to do something to do with finances do maths or economics. Make sure you balance your A-Levels well. You might have a high IQ and a good work ethic but I wouldn't recommend taking three high tier demanding A-Levels such as English Lit, Maths and Biology together since your mental health will take a dive however, if you think you are capable of this go ahead. I know I wouldn't handle three difficult A-Levels at once after watching some of my friends struggle with them for two years.

Super-Curricular activities are important, this should be distinguished from Extra-Curricular. Super-Curricular are things outside your core A-Level education which are related to the course you want to apply for. I don't know if this is a widely used term but I was told of it by a Cambridge representative at a University fair and it improved my chances of getting into Uni greatly. Examples of this are work experience, an EPQ in your area, extra reading which can be mentioned in your personal statement. For example I wanted to pursue law in year 12 so I did a week of work with a Solicitor Firm in central London but in year 13 I changed my mind so I did a week of work with my school's Member of Parliament. If you want to go into history try volunteering at a museum. A lot of my friends who wanted to apply for medicine entered programmes which gave them relevant work experience in research universities and I think some of them worked in hospitals in a limited capacity. Though things such as the Duke of Edinburgh award or an award in some regional sports competition make you sound good Oxbridge doesn't care about this from my experience. They want you to have relevant experience and interests.

However, the most important piece of advice is to do well in your A-Levels. Trust me, you haven't even begun your Oxford journey yet and a lot of things can go wrong along the way but right now you can definitely try. But if it does all go to **** your A-Levels are your best currency. You could get three A*s and not get into Oxford but a lot of very good universities will still take you through adjustment or clearing after A-Level results day. If you sacrifice your A-Level results so you can build up your Oxford application you will be left in an uncomfortable situation if you don't get in, so just focus on your A-Levels as a priority and plan everything else around them.

Good luck, do better than I did.
ahpleasehelpme
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NinjaBurger1337)
GCSEs really don't matter much man and yours are good enough for you to not worry about them. I was a PPE Oxford applicant and my GCSEs were 3A* 5As 1 B and 1 C whilst my predicated A-Levels were A*AA. I didn't get in because my interview went poorly but that's unrelated to my GCSEs which shows you you're fine since my GCSEs are worse than yours.

I don't know what course you want to apply to but forget about your GCSEs. GCSEs are a big lie and you only realise this after you do them. The only purpose of GCSEs is to get you into 6form and after that no one cares less. Focus on getting A-Levels which are required or preferred for the course you want. If they don't specify any ask around or look around for statistics of previous applicants and what they studied- there is a lot of info about Oxbridge applications out there if you look for it, a lot of statistical breakdowns. If you're not set on a specific course but you know the general direction pick your subjects accordingly. For example if you are a humanities dominant student take History or English Literature. If you would want to go into medicine chose biology or chemistry. If you want to do something to do with finances do maths or economics. Make sure you balance your A-Levels well. You might have a high IQ and a good work ethic but I wouldn't recommend taking three high tier demanding A-Levels such as English Lit, Maths and Biology together since your mental health will take a dive however, if you think you are capable of this go ahead. I know I wouldn't handle three difficult A-Levels at once after watching some of my friends struggle with them for two years.

Super-Curricular activities are important, this should be distinguished from Extra-Curricular. Super-Curricular are things outside your core A-Level education which are related to the course you want to apply for. I don't know if this is a widely used term but I was told of it by a Cambridge representative at a University fair and it improved my chances of getting into Uni greatly. Examples of this are work experience, an EPQ in your area, extra reading which can be mentioned in your personal statement. For example I wanted to pursue law in year 12 so I did a week of work with a Solicitor Firm in central London but in year 13 I changed my mind so I did a week of work with my school's Member of Parliament. If you want to go into history try volunteering at a museum. A lot of my friends who wanted to apply for medicine entered programmes which gave them relevant work experience in research universities and I think some of them worked in hospitals in a limited capacity. Though things such as the Duke of Edinburgh award or an award in some regional sports competition make you sound good Oxbridge doesn't care about this from my experience. They want you to have relevant experience and interests.

However, the most important piece of advice is to do well in your A-Levels. Trust me, you haven't even begun your Oxford journey yet and a lot of things can go wrong along the way but right now you can definitely try. But if it does all go to **** your A-Levels are your best currency. You could get three A*s and not get into Oxford but a lot of very good universities will still take you through adjustment or clearing after A-Level results day. If you sacrifice your A-Level results so you can build up your Oxford application you will be left in an uncomfortable situation if you don't get in, so just focus on your A-Levels as a priority and plan everything else around them.

Good luck, do better than I did.
Thanks so much for your reply! I’m going to try and see if I can volunteer somewhere, perhaps a museum or library. Thanks again
ahpleasehelpme
Rep:
?
(Original post by HarrisonTaylr)
As someone who got onto the most competitive course in oxford (E&M), i would say not to worry at all about your GCSE results. I got 3 A*, 2 A, 3 B, 1 C and a G (R.S). I'd say predicted a level results are more important as i was predicted 3 A*. Good Luck anyways
Thanks and congrats that’s fantastic!
ahpleasehelpme
Rep:
?
(Original post by tbofig)
As someone who just finished year 13, Oxford are very heavy on GCSEs. You might be better looking at Cambridge as they take a more wholistic approach. Still fantastic results though, well done!
Thanks!
m_j_
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nah I’ll keep a look out for it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate