jadarose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(I got 9s in bio,chem and physics
I got 8 in maths for context and I hope to do medicine at uni)

For AS level I'm going to do bio ,chem, maths & physics.
For A level I definitely want to do bio & chem.
For the 3rd option, I think it might be better for me to do physics bc:
- I enjoyed physics more than maths at GCSE (yh ik A level is different)
- physics is a less popular subject than maths, and physics generally has lower grade boundaries
- With physics, the exams would be way more spaced out than with maths (I looked at the 2019 timetable, the first two physics exams are before half term so I could focus more on bio & chem)
- I looked at the spec and physics is more interesting ( astrophysics!!) whereas I can't find maths interesting smh

my question is: will AS maths knowledge be enough for A Level physics? and which A level Physics topics contain the same content as A Level maths?

Thanks.
btw physics would be AQA and maths would be edexcel
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
AS maths is enough to know what you need to for physics - I do physics without having done any maths alevel and maths I got a 7 which was my worst gsce - I find it harder than the students who do further maths but am at the same level in physics as the normal maths students just had to work slightly harder - it’s totally fine just in Y2 you might have to put in slightly more work on the mathsy parts than people who still do maths but u can buy maths for physics workbooks and stuff to practise - depends what grade you want to achieve - probably could get an A but in my experience all the A* students are like the ones who r brill at maths I only want a B so I’m not so bothered by that - tho I did know a girl who didn’t even study maths alevel and got an A* but she went to Cambridge to study medicine so she wasn’t an average human - if you want to do it go for it though it’s a really interesting subject and I think you would be absolutely fine - good luck
jadarose
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by emilybond:))
AS maths is enough to know what you need to for physics - I do physics without having done any maths alevel and maths I got a 7 which was my worst gsce - I find it harder than the students who do further maths but am at the same level in physics as the normal maths students just had to work slightly harder - it’s totally fine just in Y2 you might have to put in slightly more work on the mathsy parts than people who still do maths but u can buy maths for physics workbooks and stuff to practise - depends what grade you want to achieve - probably could get an A but in my experience all the A* students are like the ones who r brill at maths I only want a B so I’m not so bothered by that - tho I did know a girl who didn’t even study maths alevel and got an A* but she went to Cambridge to study medicine so she wasn’t an average human - if you want to do it go for it though it’s a really interesting subject and I think you would be absolutely fine - good luck
tysm! I would be happy with an A in physics so I'll just prepare myself to do a lot of work in physics this year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
10.81%
Disagree (3)
8.11%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.03%
Agree (12)
32.43%
Strongly Agree (8)
21.62%

Watched Threads