The Student Room Group

Is Btec IT easier than Btec Software Development?

So I was made to enrol in level 3 Btec software development since the enrollment officer thought I'd find level 3 Btec IT too easy.

It might just be me overthinking, but I was wondering if anyone found software development alright?

I'm more into the theory side of IT and I don't really know if I'd be good at programming.

Can anyone tell me how the programming projects are like in Software development? Are they really difficult and how are you assessed on them?

Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
bump
I don't know what BTEC Software Development is like but I honestly found BTEC IT to be boring as ****. It was almost all either stuff I already knew or stuff that was completely irrelevant to what I plan to do as a career. Even the teachers agreed that one of the modules would fit better in a business course than IT. If you already know a fair bit about IT then you would probably find BTEC IT easy and boring. Some people on the course enjoyed it though so that's just my opinion.
Reply 4
Original post by morningstar461
I don't know what BTEC Software Development is like but I honestly found BTEC IT to be boring as ****. It was almost all either stuff I already knew or stuff that was completely irrelevant to what I plan to do as a career. Even the teachers agreed that one of the modules would fit better in a business course than IT. If you already know a fair bit about IT then you would probably find BTEC IT easy and boring. Some people on the course enjoyed it though so that's just my opinion.

can I ask what it is you plan to do as a career and if you had studied computer science/computing/it or similar at gcses?

some things in particular that I really would like to find out is:
1. what were the programming projects like?
2. were the programming projects hard?
3. what type of projects were they like? (as in were they long or hard or short etc)
4. what languages did you learn?
Original post by a.xyl12
can I ask what it is you plan to do as a career and if you had studied computer science/computing/it or similar at gcses?

some things in particular that I really would like to find out is:
1. what were the programming projects like?
2. were the programming projects hard?
3. what type of projects were they like? (as in were they long or hard or short etc)
4. what languages did you learn?

I didn't take any computing related GCSE because I changed school during GCSEs and it was full. I plan to work in cyber security. For your other questions:

1: There was only one programming project in the first year (I only did the first year but I don't think there's much/any programming in the second.). It was a very simple one - making a program to calculate the cost of printing orders.
2: It was very easy for me as I already had some background in programming, other people who hadn't programmed before found it hard.
3: It was a relatively short project, I finished the actual programming part in a couple of hours but the planning and report took a couple of weeks.
4: Python and C# but only to a really basic level.

There was also some programming involved in Games Development but most people did it just using drag and drop rather than actually programming.

If you want I could share my programming project so you can see what it was like, but it was really very basic.
Reply 6
I didn't take any computing related GCSE because I changed school during GCSEs and it was full. I plan to work in cyber security. For your other questions:

1: There was only one programming project in the first year (I only did the first year but I don't think there's much/any programming in the second.). It was a very simple one - making a program to calculate the cost of printing orders.
2: It was very easy for me as I already had some background in programming, other people who hadn't programmed before found it hard.
3: It was a relatively short project, I finished the actual programming part in a couple of hours but the planning and report took a couple of weeks.
4: Python and C# but only to a really basic level.

There was also some programming involved in Games Development but most people did it just using drag and drop rather than actually programming.

If you want I could share my programming project so you can see what it was like, but it was really very basic.

thank you so much for answering those!

so is it safe to assume that there was a lot more theory work based on computer systems/networks etc?

and yes, that would be great if you could share those with me, please.
Reply 7
Original post by a.xyl12
So I was made to enrol in level 3 Btec software development since the enrollment officer thought I'd find level 3 Btec IT too easy.

It might just be me overthinking, but I was wondering if anyone found software development alright?

I'm more into the theory side of IT and I don't really know if I'd be good at programming.

Can anyone tell me how the programming projects are like in Software development? Are they really difficult and how are you assessed on them?

Thanks!

It's the same course. The Software development BTEC is just a pathway within the IT BTEC suite, with some core units that are mandatory to get the 'Software development' title. See here - https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/btec-nationals/it-2010.html#tab-4 (look at pathways and read the course spec)
Original post by a.xyl12
thank you so much for answering those!

so is it safe to assume that there was a lot more theory work based on computer systems/networks etc?

and yes, that would be great if you could share those with me, please.

There wasn't really much about computer systems/networks, only part of one unit. The units we did in the first year were:
Information Technology Systems
Creating Systems to Manage Information (Databases)
Using Social Media in Business (Literally the most boring thing I have ever studied)
Programming
Website Development
Computer Games Development

Here's a link to my work for the practical assignment for programming - the assignment brief, my program and my report.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VZ6QB2Q5bMPmDOIGkxmFi2_Qu01DjlGB
Reply 9
There wasn't really much about computer systems/networks, only part of one unit. The units we did in the first year were:
Information Technology Systems
Creating Systems to Manage Information (Databases)
Using Social Media in Business (Literally the most boring thing I have ever studied)
Programming
Website Development
Computer Games Development

Here's a link to my work for the practical assignment for programming - the assignment brief, my program and my report.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1VZ6QB2Q5bMPmDOIGkxmFi2_Qu01DjlGB

thanks for the link!

Quick Reply

Latest