Soon to be fresher looking for uni advice! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've got a couple of questions that I'd be super thankful if perhaps 2nd or 3rd years might be able to answer for me. All advice welcomed regardless!

1) Is it worth it to have 2 separate bank accounts, a student loan one and a personal savings one? I'm fortunate enough to have a large sum of savings that I think I'd prefer to have in an account separate to my dedicated student one, and then as and when transfer money into my student one if needed. Is this common? Could anything go wrong with it?

2) My Uni has a number of part time jobs available on campus, however I'll be in a major city which will also offer job opportunities. Would there be a benefit to working on campus vs in the city - I'm thinking that perhaps working in the student union etc might be more understanding of my study etc.

3) What will the first day be like? And then the first week? I'm pretty apprehensive about it all, but excited as well. Thanks!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've got a couple of questions that I'd be super thankful if perhaps 2nd or 3rd years might be able to answer for me. All advice welcomed regardless!

1) Is it worth it to have 2 separate bank accounts, a student loan one and a personal savings one? I'm fortunate enough to have a large sum of savings that I think I'd prefer to have in an account separate to my dedicated student one, and then as and when transfer money into my student one if needed. Is this common? Could anything go wrong with it?

2) My Uni has a number of part time jobs available on campus, however I'll be in a major city which will also offer job opportunities. Would there be a benefit to working on campus vs in the city - I'm thinking that perhaps working in the student union etc might be more understanding of my study etc.

3) What will the first day be like? And then the first week? I'm pretty apprehensive about it all, but excited as well. Thanks!
1)it's not that common but if it helps you budget then go for it.
2) campus jobs mean no travel costs and can mean more flexibility.
3) it ll be introductory lectures and freshers events
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

1. I suggest you do that so it's easier to sort your finances out, however I suggest take advice from your bank too that's always recommended.
2. I work on campus and I suggest that you do too because they generally have a zero hour contract so you can decide which shift you want to do and work around your assignment submissions. They also tend to pay more and like it was mentioned, commute will be much easier.
3. The entire first week will be induction and they'll introduce you to what you'll be studying. They'll give you the year's plan and all. And there will be a bunch of fresher events, I suggest you go to as many as you can. Also free food!
stabilo20619
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't think there's any need for two bank accounts unless you can't manage your funds well - so since you have savings, I imagine you're doing alright!

Work on campus x1000%. They will be a lot more accommodating to your student lifestyle than an external employer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
9%
Disagree (5)
5%
Neither agree or disagree (31)
31%
Agree (40)
40%
Strongly Agree (15)
15%

Watched Threads