First year Maths student at Imperial College Watch

Harlequin2018
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, my son will be studying Maths at ICL in Oct and would like to know when will we receive confirmation of accommodation? Will they also confirm what study books he will need? Thanks
LMcD99
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Accommodation is usually allocated in mid september.

I don't know about maths, but for my course (aeronautical engineering) we didn't require any books before uni started.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Harlequin2018)
Will they also confirm what study books he will need? Thanks

Reading list are given out by the lecturer at the start of the course, and also appear on line via the "Blackboard" system and on the Library website ....

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/admin-ser...reading-lists/

However, unlike US universities, its very rare for a UK course to directly follow a single text, lecturers (particularly at a place like Imperial) much prefer to define their own course content and may well recommend texts for reading around the subject, but problem sets and worked answers etc are always handed out direct rather than saying "do problem 1-3 from book x". Multiple copies of recommended texts are also kept by the main library.

Its best if a student discusses with the lecturer and ideally some older students before shelling out on text books. I found that it was very useful to have a few key texts immediately to hand, but given the cost you cant buy everything so need to be careful with what you spend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
10%
Disagree (2)
10%
Neither agree or disagree (6)
30%
Agree (6)
30%
Strongly Agree (4)
20%

Watched Threads