The Student Room Group

university this year feel depressed

Hi,

I've really ****ed up badly this time. I got rly good grades in sixth form but didn't know what to study. I was so close to going to uni last september but just didn't turn up and decided to have a year off. This past year was meant to be me sorting me life out. I had a university offer and then in clearing decided to get some more to think about my life. They have all pretty much expired now and I am just choosing between my original course or the clearing offer. It has only just dawned on me today that I should have made this decision months ago, and it wasn't that I wasn't thinking about it, I have just let it drag out for way too long. So now my 2 courses are both ones which idek if I want to do. I am so stuck. I don't want to take a second gap year, I would honestly prefer to just give university a go for the first few months/ year.

I just feel like i was breezing along with my offer and thinking "i'll see if any different ones are available in clearing" without actually making the definite decision about whether, if one I liked was available in clearing, whether I would go for it.

I feel like such an idiot and really really hating myself. My good grades are going to waste pretty much. I don't know what to do and can't believe I have put myself in this situation. Wow.

FYI: my original choice was engineering.

My clearing choice: Neuroscience and maths joint honours.

Other options: Economics, finance, management kind of degree. Neither my original choice or clearing choice will be able for me to transfer onto this.

I choose my first option because I thought it was pretty employable but i don't even know if I would hate studying engineering, and I deffo don't want to be an engineer at the end of it. The neuroscience and maths option is because i will find it more interesting plus I thought this degree would still be well regarded to get into finance. The businessy type courses, I doubt I will find as enjoyable (as I prefer science) but it will get me into a job in the industry. i don't know whether anyone will have me with a degree in maths and neuroscience. I won't be able to take a masters in finance and stuff and arghhhhhh what should I do? I'm basically a ****ing idiot but I think it made sense in my mind at the time why I was just drifting along not doing anything and not taking up my clearing offer for Economics and finance (which has now expired).
Maybe you can change course after a year
Reply 2
Original post by Levi23317
Maybe you can change course after a year

i'd have to go back to first year though wouldn't I? Is an option though
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I've really ****ed up badly this time. I got rly good grades in sixth form but didn't know what to study. I was so close to going to uni last september but just didn't turn up and decided to have a year off. This past year was meant to be me sorting me life out. I had a university offer and then in clearing decided to get some more to think about my life. They have all pretty much expired now and I am just choosing between my original course or the clearing offer. It has only just dawned on me today that I should have made this decision months ago, and it wasn't that I wasn't thinking about it, I have just let it drag out for way too long. So now my 2 courses are both ones which idek if I want to do. I am so stuck. I don't want to take a second gap year, I would honestly prefer to just give university a go for the first few months/ year.

I just feel like i was breezing along with my offer and thinking "i'll see if any different ones are available in clearing" without actually making the definite decision about whether, if one I liked was available in clearing, whether I would go for it.

I feel like such an idiot and really really hating myself. My good grades are going to waste pretty much. I don't know what to do and can't believe I have put myself in this situation. Wow.

FYI: my original choice was engineering.

My clearing choice: Neuroscience and maths joint honours.

Other options: Economics, finance, management kind of degree. Neither my original choice or clearing choice will be able for me to transfer onto this.

I choose my first option because I thought it was pretty employable but i don't even know if I would hate studying engineering, and I deffo don't want to be an engineer at the end of it. The neuroscience and maths option is because i will find it more interesting plus I thought this degree would still be well regarded to get into finance. The businessy type courses, I doubt I will find as enjoyable (as I prefer science) but it will get me into a job in the industry. i don't know whether anyone will have me with a degree in maths and neuroscience. I won't be able to take a masters in finance and stuff and arghhhhhh what should I do? I'm basically a ****ing idiot but I think it made sense in my mind at the time why I was just drifting along not doing anything and not taking up my clearing offer for Economics and finance (which has now expired).

Hi ,it seems frustrating at the moment. I would suggest taking your time when making this decision as going to university is really important so whatever degree you go for, make sure it will help you progress further and make sure the degree you will study it is enjoyable and something you are interested into.
What is the point studying something you do not enjoy and maybe drop off later as in the end it won`t help you actually and just waste time and money because of hurry up just to get into university.

Think about your options really well and where the degree will lead you to and how will actually help you in the future and make the most out of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending