This discussion is closed.
igotthatsauce
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Take action on the unjustified criminalisation of drill music

This petition is regarding the recent increase in use of CBO orders to 'crack down' on drill music. Although inciting violence is seen as a crime, the ambiguity around it has allowed courts to stop artists from exercising freedom of expression through their creative talents. This is the FIRST TIME in British legal history that the justice system has issued prison sentences for performing drill songs.

It's frankly ridiculous that the justice system is wasting time on this rather than punishing the real criminals on the streets who are inciting violence. So I call upon the Government to take legislative means to protect artists from unnecessary restrictions on their freedom to express themselves through their music.

This cannot continue.
Last edited by igotthatsauce; 3 weeks ago
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
CatusStarbright

Or anyone with these powers.

Could you add P97 to the thread title please? So it reads P97- Take action on the unjustified criminalisation of drill music
Last edited by Andrew97; 3 weeks ago
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
CatusStarbright

Or anyone with these powers.

Could you add P97 to the thread title please? So it reads P97- Take action on the unjustified criminalisation of drill music
Nevermind.
yassineouerda57
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by igotthatsauce)

This petition is regarding the recent increase in use of CBO orders to 'crack down' on drill music. Although inciting violence is seen as a crime, the ambiguity around it has allowed courts to stop artists from exercising freedom of expression through their creative talents. This is the FIRST TIME in British legal history that the justice system has issued prison sentences for performing drill songs.

It's frankly ridiculous that the justice system is wasting time on this rather than punishing the real criminals on the streets who are inciting violence. So I call upon the Government to take legislative means to protect artists from unnecessary restrictions on their freedom to express themselves through their music.

This cannot continue.
my guy
gang gang
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Could someone explain for the poorly educated, what "drill music" is?

My best guess is it's music which has drilling as part of the bassline, but I fear I may be somewhat off here.

I think I'd need to hear some significant evidence that drill music causes increased violence before I'd support its criminal status.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
Could someone explain for the poorly educated, what "drill music" is?

My best guess is it's music which has drilling as part of the bassline, but I fear I may be somewhat off here.

I think I'd need to hear some significant evidence that drill music causes increased violence before I'd support its criminal status.
It's a subgenre of hip hop which puts emphasis on violence and dark lyrics with a slow tempo.The word "drill" is slang for automatic weapons. Listen to chief keef to get a better idea what the music sounds like.
Last edited by Mr T 999; 3 weeks ago
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mr T 999)
It's a subgenre of hip hop which puts emphasis on violence and dark lyrics with a slow tempo.The word "drill" is slang for automatic weapons. Listen to chief keef to get a better idea what the music sounds like.
I knew you'd be on hand to offer information about the hip and the hop Mr T, much appreciated. :youbetcha:
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I still have no idea what drill is.
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I honestly thought drill music was music that was solely performed using a power drill. You'd think with my age I'd know about these things...
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Mr Speaker, i will abstain as with all petitions however i would support government action on this.

As offensive as the music is to ones ears it should not be a crime and is yet another waste of police time.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This music isn’t to my taste but I agree with Rakas, musical expression shouldn’t be criminalised and it would be a total waste of police time
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
FYI on the above couple of posts to TheRadishPrince BosslyGaming and barnetlad. I'd be interested to hear what you folks think of this petition.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
And we have a significant oversimplification, we aren't talking about innocent people who have done nothing wrong, you're often looking at relationships with organised crime with some creators sitting in jail for murder. Context is an important thing. Also worth noting that no such criminalisation has happened with there being no blanket ban rather some restrictions on some individuals and groups.
Last edited by Jammy Duel; 3 weeks ago
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Aye. This country was founded on the principles of democracy, freedom and equality, and one essential freedom is free speech. Although I do not think wearing a balaclava and shouting at 200 bpm is particularly tasteful music, I support these drillers' right to free expression.
Mustafa0605
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Drill music can influence kids to commit crime. Also a lot of it is generally bad stuff.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Inciting violence should remain a crime. Perhaps part of the response should be a better definition and guidance for the Police and CPS over inciteful speech.

The other things this highlights is the need for more youth work and provision, and more to tackle the hate spread by social media. Though most of the hate spread by social media is not music related.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
And we have a significant oversimplification, we aren't talking about innocent people who have done nothing wrong, you're often looking at relationships with organised crime with some creators sitting in jail for murder. Context is an important thing. Also worth noting that no such criminalisation has happened with there being no blanket ban rather some restrictions on some individuals and groups.
Would you be anle to tell us what the law does and doesn't allow on this?
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm going to abstain, I don't feel I have a sufficient understanding of the petition and the situation it addresses.
LiberOfLondon
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
Drill music can influence kids to commit crime. Also a lot of it is generally bad stuff.
You are Mary Whitehouse and I claim my£5.
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 3 weeks ago
there is no statute law against drill music, although the Criminal Behaviour Order has been used to prevent gang members from creating/distributing it. while i am not pro banning music, i am against limiting judicial discretion and i don't think parliament should interfere in this instance. sadly i must vote no tho it is reminiscent of the irrational fear around NWA's F*** tha Police.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (164)
24.59%
Pop (164)
24.59%
Jazz (26)
3.9%
Classical (40)
6%
Hip-Hop (121)
18.14%