The Student Room Group

macbook or Windows for uni

I'm considering switching from Windows to a macbook but I'm really lost on everything, I'm not great with tech so I was wondering if someone could help me navigate the suitable specs for a typical uni student? Won't be used for much other than the typical research, stats analysis, typing up assignments and general browsing/social media. I've never had a MacBook either so if anyone can get me clued up I'd be really grateful, all the staff at the Apple store seemed to just push this information on me that I didn't get and seems desperate to close a sale so I felt a little intimidated lol. I also noticed there were different versions of the Macbooke with the 2017/2018 ones being obviously cheaper than the newer model, is there much difference between them?
Get a 13 inch macbook pro (refurbished) with your student discount from unidays. If you can get an Apple Credit Card it's even better as you get 3% on top of that as well.
Get a Chromebook.

Cheap. Fast. Exceptional battery. No nonsense and pure basics what you need for uni.
Reply 3
Original post by maachu_pichuu
Get a 13 inch macbook pro (refurbished) with your student discount from unidays. If you can get an Apple Credit Card it's even better as you get 3% on top of that as well.

Is this available on the Apple store online? Also do I just get the minimum specs of 8GB memory and 128GB SSD? Is that enough or should I consider upgrading?
Reply 4
Original post by BusMan21
Get a Chromebook.

Cheap. Fast. Exceptional battery. No nonsense and pure basics what you need for uni.

Is there a particular brand/model you recommend, there's loads😅
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I'm considering switching from Windows to a macbook but I'm really lost on everything, I'm not great with tech so I was wondering if someone could help me navigate the suitable specs for a typical uni student? Won't be used for much other than the typical research, stats analysis, typing up assignments and general browsing/social media. I've never had a MacBook either so if anyone can get me clued up I'd be really grateful, all the staff at the Apple store seemed to just push this information on me that I didn't get and seems desperate to close a sale so I felt a little intimidated lol. I also noticed there were different versions of the Macbooke with the 2017/2018 ones being obviously cheaper than the newer model, is there much difference between them?

Windows because MacBook are very overpriced and their specs are quite outdated. However, they do last long. With windows you'll get a laptop with superior specs for far less price. Some good ones are HP Envy (some stores offer student discounts, so check often on unidays and such), Acer Aspire etc.

Macs are mostly worth it if you're doing some sort of creative course and require the use of some apple products.
Original post by BusMan21
Get a Chromebook.

if OP needs any software packages for stat analysis (stata/spss etc) DO NOT GET A CHROMEBOOK actually if you need any proprietary software don't

but if OP means spreadsheets, go for it. i had a chromebook and it's excellent for browsing and word processing
Original post by kkboyk
Windows because MacBook are very overpriced and their specs are quite outdated. However, they do last long. With windows you'll get a laptop with superior specs for far less price. Some good ones are HP Envy (some stores offer student discounts, so check often on unidays and such), Acer Aspire etc.

Macs are mostly worth it if you're doing some sort of creative course and require the use of some apple products.

I personally wouldn't recommended hp envy as I gotten one for myself in preperation for uni and found it constantly has problems that need to get fixed. It's always breaking down so wouldn't recommend it (this is one of the higher range envys that burnt a hole in my pocket when buying, defo not worth it). I don't know about the others brand though, but hp is a no no
Let me sum it up for you.

Question 1: Can you afford one?
Yes: Move to question 2
No: Windows

Question 2: Are you/do you want to be sexually active?
Yes: Macbook
No: Windows

Alright serious answer now, in my personal opinion they're a rip off but also the best option if you have the money. I've got a windows laptop and things go wrong with it constantly, (trackpad doesn't work, messes up with external keyboard, sometimes doesn't detect monitor, goes into sleep for no reason sometimes, fans spin up for no reason, bad battery life). I've never used a macbook but they really do seem to be more reliable. I'm hoping to do GEM in a few years and will be replacing my windows laptop with a mbp even though they're a rip off, I'm not wasting time messing around anymore.

Exception to this is if you play videogames or do anything intense which it doesn't look like you do. If you or anyone else cares, my laptop is a hp omen from 2016, it's a cheap gaming laptop. To its credit it plays games very well.
Get the macbook... it's more money up front but will save you so much bull**** in the long run.

this is not necessarily good. i had a macbook on my first job and couldn't cope because of how i was used to windows.

get a Dell XPS 7590 15.6" or an Acer Swift 5 15.6" if you can't afford that.

WINDOWS. It's far more compatible. Everyone's talking about money and costs. But you want the more useful less headache OS. Nothing is compatible with Mac aside from Apple products. I've had projects and assignments halted or cocked up because a group member had Mac and couldn't use Word or Powerpoint so their formatting bull ****ted and held us back. You'll learn this working in offices that 95% maybe more use strictly Windows. It's simple, compatible, keeps the format across transferring documents for your lecturers, tutors, teammates, peers, etc; it's affordable, professional, and does the job nicely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending