EmpraZ
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
How should I approach revision?
Should I take notes or read from books and guides and then other days should I do questions
I am going to go to year 9 and starting GCSE and I am aiming for top grades.

These are the subjects I am choosing if it helps

english lit and language edexcel
maths edexcel
r.s edexcel
economics ocr
science aqa
computer science aqa
german aqa
geography aqa

Thanks
Hazzabear
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Possibly make smart notes by using the book, and then if there’s a topic you’re struggling on, start completing questions on them. When you begin year 10, start to do past papers but don’t burn yourself out in year 9!
Sheyda101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
RoutineAfterschool:1.)Make flashcards from each topic/(lesson from that day) using : CGP(or any revision) books, school books, specifications and YouTube (for understanding)***MAKE SURE YOU ARE SUMMARISING ON YOUR FLASHCARDS NOT FULLY COPYING USE PICTURES AND HIGHLIGHTERS***2.)After finishing each topic of flashcards, learn flashcards by reading them out loud front and back Morning :1.)write down everything you remember from each topic/lesson of flashcards 2.) After each topic, go over flashcards and if you missed anything, write it out in red and stick on walls(post notes)3.) Also put the flashcards you got wrong at the top of the flashcard pile for the bus/train/journey to school4.) *** EXTRA STEP: record yourself talking about each set of flashcards and when done, listen and again whatever you missed/said wrong write out in red and stick on walls***Afterschool again :BEFORE YOU START OVER AGAIN1.) write down what you remember from the flashcards at the top of the pile from your school journeySorry if this is long it took me very long to plan,,hope it helps
A26C
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Going into year 9? I suggest you don’t start with the excessive revision and just have fun whilst you can as it’s the last year where you’ll really be able to live xD. All I did in year 9 was make sure I knew what was going on in lessons and take notes when relevant, other than that I wouldn’t say there’s any point making a revision plan. I started revising on and off at the end of year 10 and managed to come out with basically straight 8s which is more than enough for me.

From watching some of my friends who banged out work in year 9 I wouldn’t suggest it at all. By the time we got round to GCSEs there were completely drained and didn’t perform as well as they could of as they were becoming sick of working so much. Just take it easy next year, do your homework and ask questions if you don’t understand anything. That’s all you need to do
iamverydead
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
How good are you with time management under pressure in exams?

If you're not good at it, then its time to do something about it.

I did geography aqa B, and well, it's less than a minute as mark. Many of my classmates found it hard to finish the mocks and the actual papers because of their poor time management.
EmpraZ
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Hazzabear)
Possibly make smart notes by using the book, and then if there’s a topic you’re struggling on, start completing questions on them. When you begin year 10, start to do past papers but don’t burn yourself out in year 9!
Ok i will take that into consideration. Thanks
EmpraZ
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sheyda101)
RoutineAfterschool:1.)Make flashcards from each topic/(lesson from that day) using : CGP(or any revision) books, school books, specifications and YouTube (for understanding)***MAKE SURE YOU ARE SUMMARISING ON YOUR FLASHCARDS NOT FULLY COPYING USE PICTURES AND HIGHLIGHTERS***2.)After finishing each topthic of flashcards, learn flashcards by reading them out loud front and back Morning :1.)write down everything you remember from each topic/lesson of flashcards 2.) After each topic, go over flashcards and if you missed anything, write it out in red and stick on walls(post notes)3.) Also put the flashcards you got wrong at the top of the flashcard pile for the bus/train/journey to school4.) *** EXTRA STEP: record yourself talking about each set of flashcards and when done, listen and again whatever you missed/said wrong write out in red and stick on walls***Afterschool again :BEFORE YOU START OVER AGAIN1.) write down what you remember from the flashcards at the top of the pile from your school journeySorry if this is long it took me very long to plan,,hope it helps
Thanks this is really helpful probably will start this next year
EmpraZ
Rep:
?
(Original post by A26C)
Going into year 9? I suggest you don’t start with the excessive revision and just have fun whilst you can as it’s the last year where you’ll really be able to live xD. All I did in year 9 was make sure I knew what was going on in lessons and take notes when relevant, other than that I wouldn’t say there’s any point making a revision plan. I started revising on and off at the end of year 10 and managed to come out with basically straight 8s which is more than enough for me.

From watching some of my friends who banged out work in year 9 I wouldn’t suggest it at all. By the time we got round to GCSEs there were completely drained and didn’t perform as well as they could of as they were becoming sick of working so much. Just take it easy next year, do your homework and ask questions if you don’t understand anything. That’s all you need to do
Thanks.
EmpraZ
Rep:
?
(Original post by iamverydead)
How good are you with time management under pressure in exams?

If you're not good at it, then its time to do something about it.

I did geography aqa B, and well, it's less than a minute as mark. Many of my classmates found it hard to finish the mocks and the actual papers because of their poor time management.
Well, it depends on the paper i struggle with geography English and r.s
Thewanabenerd
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
just enjoy your last year of freedom!:bhangra:..dont overwork your self too much so that when you enter year 10 you enter with free and calm motivated mind..if you already put too much stuff in your head then...you will be stressed making it harder for you as you get closer to GCSE..when i was in year 9 all i did was little revision 1hr and a bit more..

year 10 is the year where you start more revision than in year 9... just dont overload your self in year 9..year 9 is like your first baby step to GCSE..they teach you how the GCSE test are done and samples like past papers are shown so you are aware what GCSE will be for you in 2-3 yr time...
also wanna say that at start of year 9 its nothing too important..the most moment of year 9 is at the end of year test where that result will show which set you will be in year 10 which also keeps the teacher aware what type of tier you should do like higher tier paper...

anyways im going to year 11 now:ahee: ..trust me you dont need to worry too much...the biggest revision is mostly in year 10 and year 11

since your going to year 9..for the plan..after school do like 1 hr of home work, then take a break for like 10-20 min then 1-2 hr of revision (obviously a break between these hour gotta give your mind some rest), split the 1-2 hr time to 2 subjects...each day do different subjects but remember to do a 10 min recap from your previous day so the things you revised yesterday is stuck in your head...after your 1-2 hr revision session..enjoy the rest of your day ...i think in a week you can cover all your subjects ....

anyways i hope i helped
EmpraZ
Rep:
?
Thank you all
Sheyda101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EmpraZ)
Thanks this is really helpful probably will start this next year
No worries, and yes I agree you should start this in year 10
EmperorTortoise
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What I did for GCSEs was make flashcards on all the chapters, learn those all off by heart (there were quite a few) then I did past papers to cement my knowledge. It would make it easier if you made these flashcards throughout the year but realistically you don't need to start in year 9.
Racsoix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No point starting now, you'll only burn yourself out. Pace yourself. More isn't always better. Second half of year 11 is more than enough time, though you can be gradually making notes throughout the whole of the year and compiling resources if you see fit. I don't advise cramming, as I did, though don't overdo it either. You can certainly achieve "top grades" without revising from year 9. Just enjoy the year, stay healthy, and make sure you get into a set as high as possible for year 10 so as not to jeopardise your chances of sitting the higher paper.

As for revision techniques: try a variety. Past papers are probably your best friend and there are an abundance of them online. Flashcards work for some, notes work for others, and highlighting key parts of a mind map is an equally viable strategy. It's all about how you learn and the quality of your revision, not necessarily the quantity of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19