--
Last edited by Anon2325; 1 month ago
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anon2325)
Agreed, a new London Underground S-stock train car costs about £5 million and the source was from nearly 10 years ago. :eek:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads...-to-buy.29297/
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeh its way too expensive. Wouldnt mind the price if they ran on time and had loads of room on them but they are like cattle trucks half the time if they even show up at all
Anon2325
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Agreed, a new London Underground S-stock train car costs about £5 million and the source was from nearly 10 years ago. :eek:

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads...-to-buy.29297/
I'm sorry I think i phrased that wrong! I meant train travel is super expensive to me
TheOnlyIzzy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
haha I know its ridiculous. its cheaper for my to fly to Geneva (where my family is based in holiday times) than it is for me to get a an hour and a half train to London.

the only advice I can give you is get a rail card!!! you pay £30 for a year pass, and you get a 1/3rd of all journeys (which REALLY adds up inn you favour by the end of the year, Ive saved 100s from them)
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry I think i phrased that wrong! I meant train travel is super expensive to me
Also agreed, hence I drive everywhere.

(apparently if you book in advance it's much cheaper than European trains, but I doubt everyone can easily book in advance)

In fact, it was only 10 days ago that the BBC Reality Check analysed this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49346642

The cheapest single a month in advance:
  • London to Sheffield - £22
  • Paris to Dijon - £32.43
  • Rome to Florence - £20.06
  • Nuremberg to Kassel - £27.71

On the day:
  • London to Sheffield - £79
  • Paris to Dijon - £32.43
  • Rome to Florence - £46.33
  • Nuremberg to Kassel - £73.21

The European Commission published a report in 2016 that compared different types of train fares.
  • The UK had the fourth most expensive regional, peak, single fares bought on the day of travel, behind Switzerland, Slovenia and Spain
  • It was the third most expensive if bought a week or a month in advance
  • For off-peak, return, regional fares it was 12th for on the day and 11th for a week or a month in advance
  • The UK had the most expensive inter-city fares for peak single tickets
  • For inter-city peak return tickets, it had the sixth most expensive tickets bought on the day, the second most expensive a week in advance and the dearest a month in advance

Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
Anon2325
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Yeh its way too expensive. Wouldnt mind the price if they ran on time and had loads of room on them but they are like cattle trucks half the time if they even show up at all
and the only alternative is coach travel and that is absolutely horrible
Anon2325
Rep:
?
(Original post by IzzyGC)
haha I know its ridiculous. its cheaper for my to fly to Geneva (where my family is based in holiday times) than it is for me to get a an hour and a half train to London.

the only advice I can give you is get a rail card!!! you pay £30 for a year pass, and you get a 1/3rd of all journeys (which REALLY adds up inn you favour by the end of the year, Ive saved 100s from them)
see that's the thing, i don't even need it that much. I travel like twice a year really. Its hurting me spending this much money on the commute part of my travel
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
and the only alternative is coach travel and that is absolutely horrible
The only reason I would consider the train is because driving into London is absolutely horrible and takes ages (in my head, driving 10 miles elsewhere = driving 1 mile in London).

Apart from the fact that someone else is driving you, taking the coach negates the advantage that the train has (i.e. not travelling with cars on congested roads) - because the coach usually takes the long way round, leaves the motorway and stops in towns and cities along the route, making an already long journey even longer.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 month ago
Anon2325
Rep:
?
The only reason I would consider the train is because driving into London is absolutely horrible and takes ages (in my head, driving 10 miles elsewhere = driving 1 mile in London).

Apart from the fact that someone else is driving you, taking the coach negates the advantage that the train has (i.e. not travelling with cars on congested roads) - because the coach usually takes the long way round, leaves the motorway and stops in towns and cities along the route, making an already long journey even longer.
also do you know how train changes work? I'm travelling to plymouth from london with 2 huge bags and the train says 2 changes so will i need to like take out all my luggage and take it to another train?
Enzo.Montana
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I like trains
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
also do you know how train changes work? I'm travelling to plymouth from london with 2 huge bags and the train says 2 changes so will i need to like take out all my luggage and take it to another train?
It's not like planes' checked-in luggage at all!

You must keep your belongings with you at all times.
Anon2325
Rep:
?
It's not like planes' checked-in luggage at all!

You must keep your belongings with you at all times.
damn, i'm better off in a coach then. Thank you!
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is bizarre that plane travel is so cheap, when train travel is so expensive.

Capacity seems to be the main issue though. With trains so crowded you'd have thought it'd be profitable to run more, but apparently not.
KSM87
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you’re in Great Britain you should definitely get a railcard. I now live in Lausanne, Switzerland where train fares are incredibly expensive unless you buy the annual half price railcard (SwissPass) for about 180 Swiss Francs. I’m not sure if it’s available for non residents of Switzerland.
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I think. well trans within London are not horrible but when I was booking tickets to go from London to Cambridge it was quite a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (47)
25.41%
No (138)
74.59%

Watched Threads