The Student Room Group

Does FSMQ Additional Maths matter to universities?

It's at the top of my GCSE results and it's not a very good grade... I got a C because my teacher told me it wouldn't really be seen anywhere because it's not a GCSE so I didn't take it seriously and didn't revise (big mistake, I know).

I am aiming to go to a top university like Oxford, Cambridge or Harvard but I'm scared that when they see that C in FSMQ Add Maths and just reject me :frown:

So my question is: does this qualification matter to universities or am I just overthinking it? And if not, will they find out about it?
What grade did you get in normal maths?
Original post by thrifty_reviser
What grade did you get in normal maths?

Grade 8
Original post by DaQuestioner
Grade 8

That's a really good grade, so you have nothing to worry about. The only reason some maths teachers teach their classes to do further maths is if the class is already doing very well in normal maths and want to teach something extra and so gain a gcse level qualification at the end of it.

They won't base their decision on that one qualification alone, don't let this concern you and focus on smashing A levels :smile:
wait till your actual certificate in november, it wont be on the same sheet as your maths unless you did ocr maths
Reply 5
(FSMQ is a Level 3 qualification which is considerably harder than the Level 2 Cert in Further Maths and has pass grades A-E.)

It will be on a certificate all on its own. A Grade C's not bad at all and I can't see it being a black mark against you.

Quick Reply

Latest