mollyallison
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi all

Hoping to start uni in Sept 2020 and will have a 2 year old by this time (planning on putting him into nursery when I am at uni).

Just wanted to know what the typical timetable is like (how many days and hours per week, placements etc)

Northumbria would be my first choice, just wanting to prepare myself for it as best I can, I am currently on an Access to Higher Education course in Nursing which covers both adult and child nursing, midwifery, mental health nursing.
AshleyW97
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mollyallison)
Hi all

Hoping to start uni in Sept 2020 and will have a 2 year old by this time (planning on putting him into nursery when I am at uni).

Just wanted to know what the typical timetable is like (how many days and hours per week, placements etc)

Northumbria would be my first choice, just wanting to prepare myself for it as best I can, I am currently on an Access to Higher Education course in Nursing which covers both adult and child nursing, midwifery, mental health nursing.
First of all congratulations on hoping to do your nursing degree in 2020.

Are you not already doing the same hours and shifts as nurses now on your current course work or are you just university or college based .??

Right your hours of work depends on what you are doing on placements like.
Examples is - if you placed on the day clinics for out patients appointments then you may be working from about 8.30 - 9am until about 5.30 - 6pm Monday to Friday okay ( approx 37.5 hours a week or 7.5 hrs per day ).
If you happen to be on hospital wards placements then it usually a 12.5 hours shift over 3 days with working weekends and nightshifts as well, you normally do between 6 - 8 weeks block placements with the same thing at university, the course is usually about 50/50 or 60/40 - meaning equal time spent at university and hospital throughout the training, or 60% at hospital and rest of the time at university. Each university and hospital board have different set up but usually the course work is about equal time.

As said it depends on what your placements are as you could be fully hospital based throughout or maybe do some community placements at surgeries to.
And the days and shifts with either are different from each other.

And they will expect you to fully commit to doing this course regardless of your personal situation.
PM me if you want to for further information ok
Hope this helps you.
mollyallison
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AshleyW97)
First of all congratulations on hoping to do your nursing degree in 2020.

Are you not already doing the same hours and shifts as nurses now on your current course work or are you just university or college based .??

Right your hours of work depends on what you are doing on placements like.
Examples is - if you placed on the day clinics for out patients appointments then you may be working from about 8.30 - 9am until about 5.30 - 6pm Monday to Friday okay ( approx 37.5 hours a week or 7.5 hrs per day ).
If you happen to be on hospital wards placements then it usually a 12.5 hours shift over 3 days with working weekends and nightshifts as well, you normally do between 6 - 8 weeks block placements with the same thing at university, the course is usually about 50/50 or 60/40 - meaning equal time spent at university and hospital throughout the training, or 60% at hospital and rest of the time at university. Each university and hospital board have different set up but usually the course work is about equal time.

As said it depends on what your placements are as you could be fully hospital based throughout or maybe do some community placements at surgeries to.
And the days and shifts with either are different from each other.

And they will expect you to fully commit to doing this course regardless of your personal situation.
PM me if you want to for further information ok
Hope this helps you.

Thank you very much for replying to me

For placements, will it be in 6 - 8 week blocks where i will be in a care setting either hospital or community etc and then another block of X amount of weeks in uni?

I was unsure how it worked and if i would do so many days a week in uni and the same in placement.
Sorry im just trying to understand what it entails a little bit more.

Thank you
AshleyW97
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mollyallison)
Thank you very much for replying to me

For placements, will it be in 6 - 8 week blocks where i will be in a care setting either hospital or community etc and then another block of X amount of weeks in uni?

I was unsure how it worked and if i would do so many days a week in uni and the same in placement.
Sorry im just trying to understand what it entails a little bit more.

Thank you
Hi there
Apologies for not getting back quicker, I'm on a break at the moment,

Yes your placement blocks are between the 6 & 8 weeks periods based either at a hospital or in the community ok which you will find out when you start your course eventually ok. It's not scary, I thoroughly enjoyed the journey of becoming a nurse like and I am enjoying my time at my nursing position of full-time nursing. It's worth it at the end once it's over and you are qualified and can call yourself a proper nurse.

The only thing I hate at this present time is wearing a nursing dress instead of wearing the tunic and trousers that we are use of wearing during the student training, when I applied for the Job I'm doing I was told that it would be a mixture of wearing a nursing dress and the tunic and trousers as would be provided with both of these but when I went to collect my nursing uniform for to start with I was handed over a bundle of nurses dresses and I quired this with the hospital at the time and was told that they decided to just give me the nurses dresses instead, it fine as the staff are wearing mixed uniforms anyway and they are heavily made as well but fine.

And then will do xxx weeks at the university for lecturing and training there,
The whole course is split into two almost like I said previously with xx % at either way ok.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (21)
6.03%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (203)
58.33%
No (124)
35.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed