Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What was everyone’s experience of not drinking at uni? I’ll still go out occasionally, I just have more fun without it
Conorstephensx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ooo this is a good question. I sometimes drink and then sometimes don’t but it was not a good time sober because everyone’s so drunk they become aggravated and rude. This lead to things like pushing and shoving which I must be able to handle drunk.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
In also curious about this, I very rarely drink because I'm a huge lightweight and tend to have 24 hour hangovers. I do find alcohol helps me relax and be a lot more social though so I'm worried that if I don't drink at uni I'll struggle so much to make friends and feel uncomfortable being out and surrounded by people drinking.
Conorstephensx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m a 2nd year going into my 3rd year. I made so many friends in first year through going out and partying but some I made stone cold sober. You just have to have common ground and make conversation out of anything you can think of so people see you as easy to get along with. If a girl wants to talk about jeffree stars liquid lipsticks or a boy wants to talk about the football on the weekend just be versatile.

(Original post by Anonymous)
In also curious about this, I very rarely drink because I'm a huge lightweight and tend to have 24 hour hangovers. I do find alcohol helps me relax and be a lot more social though so I'm worried that if I don't drink at uni I'll struggle so much to make friends and feel uncomfortable being out and surrounded by people drinking.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 weeks ago
I worry about this too. I rarely drink and I’m about to start uni. I can’t stand crowds either so clubbing is like my worst nightmare
stabilo20619
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You can definitely survive uni without drinking and going to clubs. Just don't isolate yourself when people are drinking socially because you'll find yourself becoming an outcast in your flat/halls etc.

Perhaps attach yourself to someone in your flat/group who's like minded/not a wild party animal (there will always be at least one!), grab some non-alcoholic drinks and try and participate in the predrink games, then quietly disappear as everyone is going to the club if you don't fancy that. Most of your flatmates will be too drunk to notice you're gone!
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to. Wherever your friends go, there will most likely be alcohol free drinks you can have, so you can stick to them if you wish.

If it's the venues or (lack of) activity you don't like, then you'll need to be a bit more proactive in finding people with similar interests. Go to your freshers' fair and sign up for everything that even slightly interests you (and collect all the freebies). You can make your mind up later which are your favourites, or which would push you out of your comfort zone most.
Last edited by ThomH97; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
oh my gosh!
I have the exact same worry.
I'm starting medicine this year at Kings. the medics have their own bar on campus called guys bar.
on the open day, my tour guide was going on about how medics party hard and are always drunk...

All my friends are excited for Freshers, and I'm so scared.
I dont drink because I just dont want to and I've never really enjoyed parties.
I'm dreading the first week.

that said, the advice above has reassured me slightly
stabilo20619
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
oh my gosh!
I have the exact same worry.
I'm starting medicine this year at Kings. the medics have their own bar on campus called guys bar.
on the open day, my tour guide was going on about how medics party hard and are always drunk...

All my friends are excited for Freshers, and I'm so scared.
I dont drink because I just dont want to and I've never really enjoyed parties.
I'm dreading the first week.

that said, the advice above has reassured me slightly
There will definitely be party animal medics but also ones who don't enjoy drinking. You will be fine, don't worry!

Plus medicine will be more time consuming than most degrees, so you have a good reason not to party all the time.
Anonymous #4
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by stabilo20619)
There will definitely be party animal medics but also ones who don't enjoy drinking. You will be fine, don't worry!

Plus medicine will be more time consuming than most degrees, so you have a good reason not to party all the time.
thank you for the reassurance. still not completely confident but I guess this is all part of growing up!
thanks again
Greywolftwo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What was everyone’s experience of not drinking at uni? I’ll still go out occasionally, I just have more fun without it
You don’t need to be drunk to have a good time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads