Pearidigm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello all,

I am a rising senior in the Northeast US. I am exploring university options abroad, but there really aren't many good resources to look through, so I am still a bit confused with everything.

I am considering Classics Course II, History, History and Politics, History (Ancient and Modern), Geography, and Law. Although it is my preferred course, I am unsure if applying to Law is wise. Are there many international students studying law at Oxbridge? Moving abroad is not the main issue, it's just that I do not want to waste an Oxbridge application on a course that is just too competitive for international students to get in to. I am also really interested in History, but I fear that the career prospects for history graduates is not that great, even for Oxbridge graduates.

The website states that for American applicants they require three AP scores in relevant subjects, and while I do feel like I have completed this requirement, I am still wondering whether some of these other scores would help my application.

I have taken the following so far:

AP World History - 5
AP Art History - 5
AP European History - 5
AP United States History - 5
AP Human Geography - 5
AP Comparative Government and Politics - 5
AP English Language and Composition - 5
AP French - 5
AP Macroeconomics - 5
AP Microeconomics - 4
AP Physics 1 - 3

Next year I will take the following:

AP English Literature and Composition
AP United States Government
AP Statistics
AP Spanish

Are all these subjects, barring Statistics and Physics 1, considered relevant for my courses?

I have not taken any SAT II's, and I just took the SAT I today. I am sure I scored above a 1470 though, as I did really well on the PSAT (1500/1520) last year, and I am a National Merit Scholar.

On another note, are extracurriculars truly not considered in an application? I have a few relevant extracurriculars that I think would help my application.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
Last edited by Pearidigm; 3 weeks ago
vapeboi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
the UK?,

we don't give a flying bat about any extracurriculars, unlike the us where half the application is based on it.
we just want grades, grades and GRADES.
Muppetress
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not aware of international applicants being at a disadvantage, aside from medicine. You should be aware that in the UK, the degree you do and the job you get after isn't as strongly connected as it is in the US. The current British PM, Boris Johnson, did a degree in Classics. You can do Classics, History, or Geography and still become a lawyer, you just take the one year course after your undergraduate degree. That is a very popular option. All courses are competitive, and you have to have a dedication to your subject to get in.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by vapeboi)
the UK?,

we don't give a flying bat about any extracurriculars, unlike the us where half the application is based on it.
we just want grades, grades and GRADES.
don't talk out your arse. your personal statement is there to prove interest and dedication for your subject, so extracurriculars (such as readings) genuinely relevant to your subject are imperative .

obviously Oxford won't care about non-relevant ones.

OP, plenty of international law students at Oxbridge. look up Elena Handtrack at Cambridge on youtube
fiddletrio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Pearidigm)
Hello all,

I am a rising senior in the Northeast US. I am exploring university options abroad, but there really aren't many good resources to look through, so I am still a bit confused with everything.

I am considering Classics Course II, History, History and Politics, History (Ancient and Modern), Geography, and Law. Although it is my preferred course, I am unsure if applying to Law is wise. Are there many international students studying law at Oxbridge? Moving abroad is not the main issue, it's just that I do not want to waste an Oxbridge application on a course that is just too competitive for international students to get in to. I am also really interested in History, but I fear that the career prospects for history graduates is not that great, even for Oxbridge graduates.

The website states that for American applicants they require three AP scores in relevant subjects, and while I do feel like I have completed this requirement, I am still wondering whether some of these other scores would help my application.

AP World History - 5
AP Art History - 5
AP European History - 5
AP Human Geography - 5
AP French - 5
AP Macroeconomics - 5
AP Microeconomics - 4
AP Physics 1 - 3

AP Statistics
AP Spanish

Are all these subjects, barring Statistics and Physics 1, considered relevant for my courses?

I have not taken any SAT II's, and I just took the SAT I today. I am sure I scored above a 1470 though, as I did really well on the PSAT (1500/1520) last year, and I am a National Merit Scholar.

On another note, are extracurriculars truly not considered in an application? I have a few relevant extracurriculars that I think would help my application.

For international applicants they care more about your personal statement and where your specific interests lie in history. That can be shown through any extra reading which you have done and what you thought about it, and through putting it on your personal statement!
Enzo.Montana
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I understand the conversion. I would say yes you have very good grades in your AP subjects and since you did about 10 you should stand a solid chance in the application process. they don't care about SAT tho as it is not equivalent to A level but they do care about AP which is almost equivalent to an a level and since u did 10 it is equal so well done.

yes do include extra curricular if possible in the personal statement and good luck. you have a solid chance

I think most students are not international but I'm not sure. either way you'll be fine
Last edited by Enzo.Montana; 3 weeks ago
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Extra curriculars that are relevant can be put on PS. One quarter of statement at most on these though.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello all,

AP World History - 5
AP Art History - 5
AP European History - 5
AP Human Geography - 5
AP French - 5
AP Macroeconomics - 5
AP Microeconomics - 4
AP Physics 1 - 3

AP Statistics
AP Spanish

That's a LOT of APs! And yes they are fine in terms of relevance.

Sometimes we talk about 'supercurriculars' rather than 'extracurriculars'. So if you volunteer at an orphanage and are an olympic swimmer, that's great but you're applying for a degree, not a world's best human competition. You could very very briefly mention that stuff, but in theory it will not help you get in. Whereas say doing competitions in History or setting up a History Club or something actually to do with History/Law/whatever the subject is, would be entirely relevant and definitely worth mentioning.

Bear in mind that as American education is very broad, sometimes switching down to one subject so fast means its harder for Americans. Make sure you know your subject well before interview.

Bear in mind the fees - there isn't exactly a wide provision of scholarships for internationals.
BrasenoseAdm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello all,

AP World History - 5
AP Art History - 5
AP European History - 5
AP Human Geography - 5
AP French - 5
AP Macroeconomics - 5
AP Microeconomics - 4
AP Physics 1 - 3

AP Statistics
AP Spanish

Hola Pearidigm,

Many thanks for your post.In response to your main queries:

1) Your transcript looks fine.
2) Yes, international students do get offers. Last year for Law (including Law with Law Studies in Europe), 191 offers were UK, 15 EU and 47 international. The latter included 4 US nationals. However, another 2 US nationals got offers who were classified as UK home applicants. Overfall success rate for US was 13.7%.
3) Selection is driven by LNAT results and prior attainment but given that Law is very competitive your personal statement will certainly be read. The key is how relevant to studying Law your extracurriculars are.

Brasenose Admissions
Pearidigm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks all for your responses, I'll be looking into everything a bit more to try to settle down on only one subject soon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (208)
23.64%
Pop (218)
24.77%
Jazz (33)
3.75%