Freshers- have you started your reading list? Watch

Poll: Have you started 1st Year Uni reading yet?
Yes (19)
8.02%
No (90)
37.97%
I do not have a list yet (105)
44.3%
Planning to start soon! (23)
9.7%
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone! :hi:
I am just wondering if anyone has started their pre-degree reading yet, or even books that will give them a step up!
I will also include an option where you have not received your reading list yet
Feel free to discuss below!
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I graduated last year and still haven't started
Bought all the recommended books before uni started and they're all still untouched, collecting dust on my bookshelf
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
I mean... if they released student finance at the same time you started any pre reading then sure. But no money no study I’m afraid lol
cathasatail
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it's going to depend on the degree you're studying.
For example, I bought the recommended books (for reference, I'm studying biomedical science- heading into 3rd year) and you quickly realise that there's absolutely no point in reading through multiple books which are sometimes >1200+ pages before the teaching has actually commenced. For that you need context- you can't just dive straight into them without any introduction, and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone in the same situation. They do have their uses though and often either supplement lecture material or are essential for some tasks (such as certain books on histology).
However, if you're on a course which has works of fiction on the reading list, then I'd suggest having a quick flick through them.
NanaA23432
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cathasatail)
I think it's going to depend on the degree you're studying.
For example, I bought the recommended books (for reference, I'm studying biomedical science- heading into 3rd year) and you quickly realise that there's absolutely no point in reading through multiple books which are sometimes >1200+ pages before the teaching has actually commenced. For that you need context- you can't just dive straight into them without any introduction, and I wouldn't suggest it to anyone in the same situation. They do have their uses though and often either supplement lecture material or are essential for some tasks (such as certain books on histology).
However, if you're on a course which has works of fiction on the reading list, then I'd suggest having a quick flick through them.
I already have a textbook for biomed (first year in Sep).I was just a little worried about being behind in understanding with new concepts etc. Hopefully it will come in handy, if not I may sell it.
cathasatail
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NanaA23432)
I already have a textbook for biomed (first year in Sep).I was just a little worried about being behind in understanding with new concepts etc. Hopefully it will come in handy, if not I may sell it.
Which book is it? (and if you don't mind me asking, which uni?)
-Some of the books have been essential (Wheater's functional histology) and one or two pharmacology and neuroscience books have been very helpful. I was also worried about somehow being behind when I first started, but you'll soon find that in the first few weeks they recap on A-level concepts and then build on them, it is only once those are nailed down that you will get the brand new/never heard of before content
NanaA23432
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cathasatail)
Which book is it? (and if you don't mind me asking, which uni?)
-Some of the books have been essential (Wheater's functional histology) and one or two pharmacology and neuroscience books have been very helpful. I was also worried about somehow being behind when I first started, but you'll soon find that in the first few weeks they recap on A-level concepts and then build on them, it is only once those are nailed down that you will get the brand new/never heard of before content
It’s called Essential Cell Biology (Fourth Edition) and Hertfordshire.

Thank you for the information 😊
ForeverYoungx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
LOL the reading list! It’s still rotting on my email, still don’t know when ima make a move
cathasatail
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NanaA23432)
It’s called Essential Cell Biology (Fourth Edition) and Hertfordshire.

Thank you for the information 😊
Ah gosh, I don't think I've come across that particular one- I do have Molecular Biology of the Cell (both books share a few authors so I imagine the content is fairly similar). I expect that the "Essential"s will probably be more accessible than "Molecular Biology..." and so you might find more use out of it, but I can't say that I used that particular one beyond the first few lectures. Often the lectures covered far more niche topics in far more detail than the book, but for general concepts it's ok.

If you have anatomy/histology sessions then Wheater's Functional Histology has been a lifesaver, along with a copy of Gray's Anatomy (the student versions will be sufficient)- but these should be available from your uni's library.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads