itsnotthatdeepp
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So I was planning on doing optometry at uni in September but I unfortunately didn’t get the grades required even though I was predicted AAB. I got into Plymouth through clearing but didn’t accept the offer because of how far it is from me (over 4 hours away).

Now I’m going to start pharmacy at Wolverhampton. I went to an open day and spoke to a lecturer and a current MPharm student and I liked the course, however, I understand that they must’ve been somewhat biased.

Anyway, I’m now worried that this isn’t the right course for me after seeing the amount of threads on here that are warning against doing pharmacy!! I also don’t think I’m mentally prepared to retake my a levels as I was extremely stressed when doing them. Can anyone who’s done/ is doing pharmacy give me some hope or is it as bad as they say?😩
Ace_star
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
optometry is poor pay. do dentistry in Europe there's loads of ppl from uk there and there's no test.
optomgeek99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ace_star)
optometry is poor pay. do dentistry in Europe there's loads of ppl from uk there and there's no test.
optometry has excellent pay, I only qualified 1 year ago and I'm earning 53k basic salary plus roughly 2-4k bonus a year. You can also locum and get rates of £450 per day
Ace_star
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
put 53k in tax calculator and what you left with, its all about net not gross. still good salary. peak salary is £450 for optometry but dentist's careers can peak into the millions
optomgeek99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ace_star)
put 53k in tax calculator and what you left with, its all about net not gross. still good salary. peak salary is £450 for optometry but dentist's careers can peak into the millions
if you become an ophthalmic director of a practice (very easy to do after 5 years of experience) you can also earn millions. 53k after tax is averaging around 3k a month which is an excellent salary for a person aged 22. The salary also gets higher with experience, 75k is easily achievable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (7)
7.87%
Disagree (5)
5.62%
Neither agree or disagree (26)
29.21%
Agree (37)
41.57%
Strongly Agree (14)
15.73%

Watched Threads