xorxxxxx
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
By the grace of God alone, i got all 9s for science and i thought i would share what i did to get them as I know this would have helped me.

Constantly watch freesciencelessons whenever you have free time or need to understand a concept

I absolutely loved science with hazel’s all of ____ in 1hr videos, i preferred them over primrose kittens videos as she covers everything on the spec, goes through past papers and she phrases everything as the mark scheme says. Literally her all of chem paper 1 video is the only thing i used to revise paper 1 content & i would recommend rewatching her videos as many times as possible

I rewrote what the cgp revision guide said word to word when making notes (honestly i never looked at the spec and only did this as the revision guide covers everything, i never used textbooks)

I would also STRONGLY recommend buying the CGP revision question cards for science as a lot of the questions that were there actually came up in the real exam, im selling mine so if you would be interested in buying it for a cheaper price, you can message me.

Use seneca learning!!

Go through past papers and markschemes, but this is what i did last.

Also be a verryyy strict marker as to get a level 9, it’s important that in your exam you write what the mark scheme wants, what helped me and all my classmates out so much is that we never gave ourselves marks in the allow section.

Also with every question i did, i would only give myself the mark if i wrote EXACTLY what the mark scheme said, even if what i said was write, if i phrased it differently i wouldnt give myself the mark & i would rewrite exactly what the mark scheme said.

I hope this helps & good luck!
Sannah 21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Too much work...
liya_36
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got 9 in Biology (145) and Chemistry (146) and 8 in Physics (138)- just 5 marks off a 9.
My main source of revision was Seneca Learning. I highly recommend it for science it goes over everything you need to know for your course and I also actually upgraded to Premium as well which was quite useful. It's a form of active learning which really helped me to remember everything. (I started using Seneca from the end of Year 10)

I also used the CGP revision guides on the side and the CGP flashcards are very useful for testing yourself.Guys remember the marks schemes are usually extremely specific so you HAVE to read through a lot of them and basically understand what they want you to say if you want to get the marks.Do lots of practice papers. Print out the equations and learn them off by heart as there were few questions simply asking to state it.

Before the exams, I would go over my previous mock papers and the mark schemes for the most recent GCSE (2018 for me). I watched freesciencelessons videos on all the practicals. (there are a lot of questions on practicals in the exam so make sure you know them well: method, errors and how it can be improved). I also often did all the contents of the exam on Seneca the night before (i was really good at cramming) and this made me more confident for the exam

That's basically everything I did. I didn't really use any of my class notes and I didn't make any other notes at all. You can actually do well in GCSE science without making any notes as there sooo many resources. Unless of course notes are what works for you
Last edited by liya_36; 4 weeks ago
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have two questions for both liya_36 and xorxxxxx.

I have a friend who got all 9s in GCSE science, and he said it wasn't that great of an achievement and that it was a pisstake with the grade boundaries (he just about scraped them after seeing the mark breakdown). What do you think of this?

Also, what were your raw marks for each of the sciences (if you got them)?
liya_36
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
I have two questions for both liya_36 and xorxxxxx.

I have a friend who got all 9s in GCSE science, and he said it wasn't that great of an achievement and that it was a pisstake with the grade boundaries (he just about scraped them after seeing the mark breakdown). What do you think of this?

Also, what were your raw marks for each of the sciences (if you got them)?
I don't understand, isn't he happy with his grades? That is an achievement, he did really well
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by liya_36)
I don't understand, isn't he happy with his grades? That is an achievement, he did really well
I can only assume that he felt as though the reaction by his parents was a little over the top. He's someone who doesn't really like attention being drawn to himself.

He's also bee raised in a similar way to me. We judge our results mainly by marks, not by grades.
Last edited by Tolgarda; 4 weeks ago
Roseee003
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I've been told that freesciencelessons doesn't cover all of the content?
ClubNeon
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Roseee003)
I've been told that freesciencelessons doesn't cover all of the content?
It isn’t complete, I believe he started 2 years ago. But it still covers key concepts.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads