Top Uni worry... dealing with spiders in my flat 😬 Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
So It’s a bit pathetic...

I know they’re harmless but have a terrible fear of spiders and what really doesn’t help is I’ve always had a habit of waking in the middle of the night which is when they seem to be more active.

It’s currently 5am and I’ve been sitting awake since 2 after seeing a big one... despite fam catching it 😬 Of all the things I could be worried about starting uni in September this is at the top...!! I don’t know how I’m going to cope when fam aren’t there to catch them for me. I’ll literally have a meltdown... better try not to scream late at night 🤣 I know it’s so silly but just can’t help it

I guess I just want to see if anyone else is the same and any comforting advice would be much appreciated! Cross fingers there is someone on my floor good with spiders I can sweet talk 🤞🤞😅
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't get many spiders on my flat, it's mostly silverfish or moths. We did once have a plague of ladybirds though.
Just invest in one of those spider catcher things, squirt them with deodorant or cup them and put them outside
Anonymous #1
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I don't get many spiders on my flat, it's mostly silverfish or moths. We did once have a plague of ladybirds though.
Just invest in one of those spider catcher things, squirt them with deodorant or cup them and put them outside
That’s good to know (other insects I’m ok with). thanks for replying so quickly 😊
wxgmak
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is literally one of my worries. I’m training my self to get rid of spiders now so I’ll be less scared SMH
Anonymous #1
(Original post by wxgmak)
This is literally one of my worries. I’m training my self to get rid of spiders now so I’ll be less scared SMH
Nice to know I’m not alone, good luck! 💪
I’m just too much of a wimp even using the hoover on them completely freaks me out ha
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Nice to know I’m not alone, good luck! 💪
I’m just too much of a wimp even using the hoover on them completely freaks me out ha
I have this problem too (not all spiders though, just certain species) - I've invested in a handheld vacuum to take back to uni with me to get any spiders with. In my old halls room, I didn't have a vacuum, and my ceiling was very high - as you can imagine, when any spiders decided to chill out near my ceiling, I couldn't reach them to remove them, hence why I got a vacuum this time around.
Dunya
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Name:  IMG_7855 3.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  8.4 KB
Me waiting outside my house waiting for someone to come and take the 8 legged monster out.
SteveyStack
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I know they’re harmless but have a terrible fear of spiders and what really doesn’t help is I’ve always had a habit of waking in the middle of the night which is when they seem to be more active.

It’s currently 5am and I’ve been sitting awake since 2 after seeing a big one... despite fam catching it 😬 Of all the things I could be worried about starting uni in September this is at the top...!! I don’t know how I’m going to cope when fam aren’t there to catch them for me. I’ll literally have a meltdown... better try not to scream late at night 🤣 I know it’s so silly but just can’t help it

I guess I just want to see if anyone else is the same and any comforting advice would be much appreciated! Cross fingers there is someone on my floor good with spiders I can sweet talk 🤞🤞😅
Are you living with others? I’ve had to remove a few spiders during the last couple of years because my mate is petrified of them
S2M
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SteveyStack)
Are you living with others? I’ve had to remove a few spiders during the last couple of years because my mate is petrified of them
You’re a good friend, aren’t you.
SteveyStack
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S2M)
You’re a good friend, aren’t you.
Nah I’m a bit of a twat. Laugh at him for a couple of mins first but I will get rid of it eventually
S2M
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nah I’m a bit of a twat. Laugh at him for a couple of mins first but I will get rid of it eventually
That’s ok, at least you get rid of it 😂
MezmorisedPotato
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
To be honest, I didn't see a single spider in my flat but that widely depends on where you are, how far up you are above ground etc. But my other friends have said things like silverfish or moths are more common. Having a spider catcher would be useful if you have a fear though (like poster before mentioned) just in case.
Lauren_F1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You can buy a spider repellent spray which doesn't harm them, it just repels them. You can spray it near doors and windows to stop or reduce the amount that come in and spray it where you particularly don't want them like near your bed. I have one and it works well!
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm terrified of them too. Invest in a couple of bottles of No More Spiders. You can get it on Ebay and Amazon. It doesn't harm them but stops them from entering in the first place. The smell is quite nice ( for us humans ) too !
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

get over it, use a shoe, tissue or vaccum and get rid of them
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Typically I can Hoover up spiders I see, but spiders aren't as common as I thought they would be in my uni house. I've only had 1 scary spider experience, where I had to empty out my whole wardrobe, spray the spider with Lynx, cover it with a cup, and then wait 24 hours to make sure it was dead before flushing it down the loo. I'm not proud of myself, but when you're terrified of spiders you do things like that. You'll be fine
manueljenni
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
tip: get an mosquito net like the people do in Asia for your bed. So then you wouldn't be afraid that they somehow ended up in your bed when you sleep.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
anyone else read this as top uni (as in oxbridge etc.) issues? Like spiders only exist at RG univeristies
Nessuno
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I used to be scared of spiders too but then I kept watching Spiderman and now I'm more or less over it😂 just think of them as small things that can easily be disposed of - thank goodness where I live there aren't any poisonous spiders, good luck at uni!😁
Dunya
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Pure evil 😂😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?