The Student Room Group

Why do we get smarter as we age?

I have nothing to do on sunday so i opened my secondary school math textbook and did some of the exercises. I was never good with math and didn't score well in exams. But now i find it rather easy. Now thinking back i wonder why did i struggle...
Because your brain develops....😂 😂 And now you know math's concepts more advanced.... So you know where the next steps of the math's from secondary school leads. Making it far more simple.
Reply 2
Original post by HucktheForde
I have nothing to do on sunday so i opened my secondary school math textbook and did some of the exercises. I was never good with math and didn't score well in exams. But now i find it rather easy. Now thinking back i wonder why did i struggle...

I don't really agree with this in your example.

I know If I oppened my secondary school maths textbook there would be quite a few things I wouldn't be able to do, that I was able to do in the past, ...and the reason why comes down to this. Use it or Loose It!

I've not been using this stuff for many years [since i left school], so have forgotton a lot of it!
Reply 3
In some ways yes and some ways no
Reply 4
Original post by HucktheForde

It is due to the experiences you have faced. For example, if I struggled in English and then I started revising consistently, I would not struggle and rather enjoy it.
Cos your brain knows how to do it. Before, it was figuring out how to do it.

It's called neuroplasticity
You can do if you choose to.

With age comes more experience generally, but not necessarily more intelligence. ^^

Edit: Welp I read the thread question wrong. Oops.
We do?
Something has gone wrong with me then.
I don't think we do get smarter as we age, in fact brain cells are dying every day.

It's just that we get more experienced so certain things seem easier. Plus maybe we pay more attention as we're not so distracted by hormones and other teenage issues
Original post by harrysbar
I don't think we do get smarter as we age, in fact brain cells are dying every day.

It's just that we get more experienced so certain things seem easier. Plus maybe we pay more attention as we're not so distracted by hormones and other teenage issues

To be fair though, as humans we only ever use a tiny portion of our brain's capability. And, we only actually lose around 10% of neurons by the time we're 75, so with life experience and the time for our brains to process what we learned earlier in life, we will undoubtedly get "smarter" as there is plenty brain left to make the most of, but it's not always something everyone manages to do.

Quick Reply

Latest