Turn on thread page Beta

Media: The Power of Nightmares watch

ReputationRep:
    Id be interested to see how many people watched this documentary, and how many agree with its basic arguments. I have only recently seen the final part.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/3755686.stm

"In a new series, the Power of Nightmares explores how the idea that we are threatened by a hidden and organised terrorist network is an illusion."

"It is a myth that has spread unquestioned through politics, the security services and the international media."

Im utterly disgusted that this heap of nonsense was afforded a 3 part documentary by the BBC. Although,it appears I underestimated how atrocious the entire program appears to have been. http://www.melaniephillips.com/diary...es/000884.html

"The head of MI5, Eliza Manningham-Buller, is reported in the Times as warning against complacency over the prospects of an Islamist terrorist attack on Britain. She said: ‘ “There is a serious and sustained threat of terrorist attacks against UK interests at home and abroad. The terrorists are inventive, adaptable and patient; their planning includes a wide range of methods to attack us”. She suspected that there might be people in the CBI “who doubt this description of the threat or perhaps question the language used to describe its scale… But I would urge you to consider the events of 9-11 (when nearly 3,000 people were killed), in Bali (where 202 died), in Istanbul (31 dead), and in Madrid (191 killed),” she said. She added: “Be under no illusion. The threat is real and here and affects us all.” '

ReputationRep:
    It was a brilliant series, and whats more it was all factual.

Which parts do you disagree with?

I agree there is a threat of terrorist attacks within the UK, but blowing up Iraqi's isnt stoping terrorism, would you suggest it is?

Indeed, there is a risk of being caught in a terrorist attack, but this is out weighed by the chance of you being killed by a staple gun.

The purpose of the series was to demonstrate how the facts we are presented over terrorism are misrepresented, and that the governments are only helping to further the fear of terrorism, as this plays into their hands in order to justify the next step in their ideology. An ideology which was also shown to be flawed.

ReputationRep:
    If you didnt see it how can you give a view either way in the poll........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    If you didnt see it how can you give a view either way in the poll........
    "In a new series, the Power of Nightmares explores how the idea that we are threatened by a hidden and organised terrorist network is an illusion."

"It is a myth that has spread unquestioned through politics, the security services and the international media."

this is the basic assertion of the documentary. the link also provides a synopsis

ReputationRep:
    Power of Nightmares? or Power of appalling journalism?

Watched It - Dont Agree
    Watched It - Do Agree
    Didnt Watch It - Dont Agree
    Didnt Watch It - Do Agree

Which question are we supposed to be answering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)

this is the basic assertion of the documentary. the link also provides a synopsis
    Thats not what the poll is asking, its asking to weigh up the journalism, how do we know what that was like from a summary of the arguement? I think you have asked the wrong question if that is the issue you wanted to address.

This is not an issue which is black and white, the is certainly a threat however I doubt its a large as some people would led us to believe, and I think that the danger of climate change is going to have more a influence on the western way of life than Islamist terrorists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Thats not what the poll is asking, its asking to weigh up the journalism, how do we know what that was like from a summary of the arguement? I think you have asked the wrong question if that is the issue you wanted to address.
    fair point. The poll should basically reflect whether you broadly agree or disagree with the propositions made in the documentary.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the media over plays the fear more then the government, because the government has less to gain from scaring everyone, whereas the media does. Im probably more likely to die while putting my socks on then in a terrorist attack.

EDIT: And when i say more likely, Im not sayin that socks are more dangerous then terrorists, just that more people in the UK die from sock related injuries then terrorist related injuries.

ReputationRep:
    never watched it...

i suspect its all hyped up beyond recognition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)

What kind of drugs were those people on when they came up with that idea? Everyone just collectively imagined planes flying into the WTC and Pentagon. It's all just a conspiracy from the government... I wouldn't expect this much lunacy from someone wearing a tin foil hat, but, somehow, it's not surprising coming from people with journalism degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    What kind of drugs were those people on when they came up with that idea? Everyone just collectively imagined planes flying into the WTC and Pentagon. It's all just a conspiracy from the government... I wouldn't expect this much lunacy from someone wearing a tin foil hat, but, somehow, it's not surprising coming from people with journalism degrees.
    i aint seen it, or payed too much attention

but i dont think it was disagreeing there are terrorists, just that they arent in an organised network.

i believe the terrorists are obviously linked and work together myself.

rofl @ tin foil hat comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i aint seen it, or payed too much attention

but i dont think it was disagreeing there are terrorists, just that they arent in an organised network.
    Still, how could it not be an organized network when the men involved in terrorist activities are calculating? I mean, it's not like these guys just met each other at a shopping mall one day and said "Hey, you know what we should do next week? Hijack some planes and fly them into buildings...it'd be fun."

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't believe how many people in France, for example, actually believe that 9/11 was a conspiracy by the US government. Apparently there was some best-seller about it, don't remember the title. Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    watch it.

Torrent for Part 3 http://conspiracy.hopto.org:6969/tor...57105904386a03

Torrent for part 2 http://conspiracy.hopto.org:6969/tor...a8966c4de7bcab

Torrent for part 1 http://conspiracy.hopto.org:6969/tor...aac3308267486c

ReputationRep:
    I havnt seen the program, alas Im in China and do not have access to it. But I do think that there is a good deal of hype concerning the whole terrorism thing. I think our government has played on it to get certain political support from the citizens to take actions that normally might have been questioned. I kind of correlate it to a form of neo-mcarthyism that, back in the day, had US citizens all scared about 'communist inflitration.'

ReputationRep:
    What, as they say, do you mean by organised?
    An organised network, like the IRA, can be brought to a stage where they effectively give up their war. There are organisations which have broken away, but they are fairly small and rhetorical rather than practical.
    The problem with "al-qaida" and the other islamist terrorist organisations is that they are organised by a set of beliefs not by an actual formal organisation with orders coming down from HQ that could stand down its members. The other complication is that in their reading of the koran they've got to get the whole world under an islamic state and all will be wonderful, so their aspirations cannot be only partly met.
    They aren't very dangerous world-wide. They can kill a few hundred, a few thousand, even- if they get really lucky- tens of thousands of people but they can't do much to the actual structure of countries. What can do damage and has done damage is the response of the USA to them, which gives a set of criminal lunatics far more dignity as threats than they actually have. Imagine if the loonies' rhetoric of war between islam and "the west" was taken seriously by the USA and the rest of the world? These are not countries that take war as a matter of heroism or personal jihad but countries which set out deliberately and systematically to destroy and annihilate their enemies and that have the power to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    They aren't very dangerous world-wide. They can kill a few hundred, a few thousand, even- if they get really lucky- tens of thousands of people but they can't do much to the actual structure of countries.
    That's quite possibly one of the most insensitive and offensive posts I've seen regarding terrorism. You don't think that the families, friends, acquaintances of victims of terrorism have altered lives? That it doesn't effect the greater structure of things that people now stop for a second when they see a low-flying plane above their city?

Terrorists are like the little mice in the structure of civilization. They're small and only bother anybody when they see them, but all the while they are chewing away at the insulation of wires, putting holes in the drywall, making nests, and MULTIPLYING. If left to their own devices, they will cause so much damage that the structure cannot be repaired.

ReputationRep:
    Terrorists are like the little mice in the structure of civilization. They're small and only bother anybody when they see them, but all the while they are chewing away at the insulation of wires, putting holes in the drywall, making nests, and MULTIPLYING. If left to their own devices, they will cause so much damage that the structure cannot be repaired.
    Im surprised to see so many people still living in the BBC-John Kerry-9/10 world of "nuisances". Im not surprised to see the influence of the MSM.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite possibly one of the most insensitive and offensive posts I've seen regarding terrorism. You don't think that the families, friends, acquaintances of victims of terrorism have altered lives?
    The families and friends of people that have died of anything have altered lives. Many more die of other things than die of terrorism
    That it doesn't effect the greater structure of things that people now stop for a second when they see a low-flying plane above their city?
    Only if they stop in the middle of the road and get run over.
    Certainly it affects the structure of things, but only because people panic and allow it to. Statistically, terrorists can't do much harm. They like to think they do, but they don't. It is a foolish mistake to take them at their own valuation.

You kill mice with mousetraps and cats. You do not shoot at them with heavy duty weapons- that is what does the real harm.

If this is a war and you are going to fight a war you do not snivel and whine. You assess your enemies' capabilities, their strengths and their weaknesses, and you find the best way to deliberately destroy them. You do not whimper about peoples' lives being changed. Of course peoples' lives are changed. Nothing changes your life as much as death. They are casualties and casualties are inevitable. This is a psychological war and overestimating what the "enemy" can do is a blunder. We live in complex societies, but they are societies that can lose tens, even hundreds, of thousands of people and continue to function well. The whole of government can be killed and replaced by other people without it making much difference to our ability to go on. Meanwhile we deal with the terrorists. this is more a matter of global psychopathology than any genuine threat to the world and should be dealt with accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that George Bush and Bin Laden ARE linked. That is why i think that GB is covering BL's tracks by creating so much hype. In taliban country you only need an army of believers AKA fanatics. In a way that is orgamnisation. In the western world we interpret organisation as a structure of levels with the secret service etc being at the top.
    It was right in some ways but i think it was an augment that WAS frsh but lacking in its meaning of organisation.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.