The Student Room Group

GCSE results advice

My son is disappointed in his gcse results, as am I he got 4 English Lang 4 maths 55 science 5 history 4 eng lit 3 German and a u in Dida he was predicted 5/6 minimum grades in all subjects except the Duda which was minimum expected grade A. He now doesn’t really have enough for A levels although he has passed them all he feels like a complete failure. I am so disappointed for him. He did work hard but admits with hindsight could have worked harder. None of the btecs sixth form offer really appeal except applied science but he is. Considering primary school teaching , could this get him on a Bedwith qts? Is it better to consider a Btec in children? He wanted to leave as many options open as he can as he is still so unsure about what he wants to do he likes the idea of teaching but also being a surveyor would science fit that ? I really don’t have any ideas to help him so any advice would be appreciated I also think he should retake English and maths
Reply 1
Ah, a BEd with QTS. The University of Derby, as an example, requires five GCSEs at grade 4 or above including Maths, English Language and a Science. Your son has achieved that.

This is still two years away. It's a shame that the college hasn't accepted him onto an A Level course. Are there any alternative colleges that would accept him onto an A Level course?
Reply 2
I know, which is why it is so disappointing, His 6th form have said no because he needs a 6 in science (which he got with a 6 and 5 but it brings overall grade down to 55) the local college only offer btec and the nearest alternative have said only offer him a level sociology and media which I think he would enjoy as he is keen on current affairs, relatively political ly aware and likes history so they are a good fit, but 2 Alevels won’t get him enough ucas points for a degree so not sure if it’s an option I am going to think about finding a one year course btec with maths and English retakes and then he could apply to a sixth form or to the colleges for A level but it all seems so unfair. I got to resit my GCSE’s and took new subjects I went from 3 Cs to Two A two Bs And a C it’s seems so unfair to take away this option many kids just aren’t ready at 15/16. In large classes . He had a change of teacher for four of his subjects, two of which were not qualified teachers as it’s an Academy. I really hate what our government have done to education in our country it is killing social mobility and not addressing the skills shortage , but that’s probably for a different post
Reply 3
Oh dear. This all sounds very unfortunate, and rather short sighted on the part of the local college. I would have thought they'd be prepared to accept him onto a history course, along with the sociology and media. They must be aware that three A-Levels is what people want to take. Perhaps they're oversubscribed or perhaps their standpoint might change once the dust settles and they know how many students they have and which courses they're taking. The uncertainty is frustrating and the problem is exacerbated by your dissatisfaction with the service provided by his existing school.

Quick Reply

Latest