Is Boris preparing to suspend British democracy? Watch

Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
A leaked memo indicates that Boris has been seeking legal advice on suspending Parliament from 9 Sept for 5 weeks, to get through Brexit by executive Privy Council powers.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...iament-closure

Not since the English Civil War has something like this been done.

If this happens, there will literally be no point in voting going forwards. An unelected Prime Minister chosen by a narrow cabal of activist right wing Torys and former UKIP members will be taking arrogant state decisions invoking the monarch and suppressing any debate.

If Boris does do this, the people will and must take to the streets.
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would you mind explaining what a thing like this entails? I'm not very knowledgable on politics.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
A leaked memo indicates that Boris has been seeking legal advice on suspending Parliament from 9 Sept for 5 weeks, to get through Brexit by executive Privy Council powers.

If this happens, there will literally be no point in voting going forwards. An unelected Prime Minister chosen by a narrow cabal of activist right wing Torys and former UKIP members will be taking arrogant state decisions invoking the monarch and suppressing any debate.

The people can do whatever they want. Boris should suspend Parliament to get Brexit through and not allow Parliament to mugg us off.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by JustOneMoreThing)
Would you mind explaining what a thing like this entails? I'm not very knowledgable on politics.
He would have to suspend Parliament and that would probably require a vote of no-confidence in his government first, which he would have to win. (This is a little bit doubtful at present, because some of his own MPs are saying they might not vote for that - on the other side, there are some pro-Brexit Labour MP rebels who might vote with him.)

Once he'd won that, he would consider it sufficient to suspend Parliament and take executive decisions on Brexit.

The Privy Council would meet to rubber-stamp them (he would hope). The council consists of people like former cabinet ministers and PMs, the Speaker and others.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Privy_Council

Once he'd driven Brexit through on his terms, Parliament would be summoned again.

Personally I think parts of the establishment have long wanted dictatorial rule in Britain and they would use the inevitable major civil disorder that would result as a pretext to impose it.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Right here we go again surprises, stick em up Borris Johnson is not an unelected Prime Minister every prime minister is unelected we don't directly elect prime minister in the current system. I was a member of the Labour Party when Gordon Brown became PM and there wasn't even an internal election process, as a member of the Labour Party did not get a vote! So let's be Labour calling Boris Johnson and unelected PM completely fallacious and ridiculously hypocritical and a argument really starts to wind me up a little bit.

Secondly you talk about no point in voting, I'm astounded that you have picked that sentence to describe the current situation. I think it's time to take a reality check, let's take stock and have a look at the facts

- Every single one of the Conservativep arliamentarians have been elected on a manifesto that clearly stated No Deal

- Every single one of the Labour parliamentarians have been elected on a pro-brexit manifesto

- even many independent and some Lib Dems have been elected on pro brexit manifestos.

- the last national election one party with no manifesto and no policies apart from no-deal sweeped to electoral Victory!

Do you think that that sentence you pick is accurate?

What do you want the British government to do now regarding brexit and how do you deem that to be democratic?

May I also ask who you voted for in the European elections? and who you intend to vote for in an up coming general election?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
The people can do whatever they want. Boris should suspend Parliament to get Brexit through and not allow Parliament to mugg us off.
If you want to live in a dictatorship, feel free to go and live in Saudi or Russia. Dictatorships are great as long as you either agree with or suck up to the dictator.

Boris suspending our democratically elected parliament is a very sad day for our democracy especially as many of those who voted to leave did so to be free of ehat the perveived to be a lack of democratic democracy from Europe.

That said, seeking legal advice is not the same as doing at this point.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by ByEeek)
With Cummings at the helm and Trump's team of oligarch-lackies pressuring Bojo at the current summit, it's pretty much a certainty they will go down this or a similarly extreme road.
Prussianxo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
But I thought we must adhere to Brexit unless we wish to be undemocratic. Seems a bit hypocritical
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I think he could lose MoNC - however, Corbyn really needs to get his act together when the Commons resumes. I think a VoNC is more doubtful - but I could see Grieve, Gymiah and the likes potentially voting to bring him down if he's threatening the proroguing of parliament.

I think will all come down to the Labour 26 ultimately - they're unlikely to want to cooperate with the Liberals, SNP, Plaid and Greens and the prospect of a Corbyn PM is probably as galling as a Boris PM to them.

If Boris does survive Parliamentary votes, though, and does successfully prorogue, constitutional law is going to have to be seriously reconsidered.
Qup
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Boris doing...whatever you state he is, to pass Brexit isn't undemocratic, especially when Brexit itself is the product of a democratic voting process.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Right here we go again surprises, stick em up Borris Johnson is not an unelected Prime Minister every prime minister is unelected we don't directly elect prime minister in the current system. I was a member of the Labour Party when Gordon Brown became PM and there wasn't even an internal election process, as a member of the Labour Party did not get a vote! So let's be Labour calling Boris Johnson and unelected PM completely fallacious and ridiculously hypocritical and a argument really starts to wind me up a little bit.

Secondly you talk about no point in voting, I'm astounded that you have picked that sentence to describe the current situation. I think it's time to take a reality check, let's take stock and have a look at the facts

- Every single one of the Conservativep arliamentarians have been elected on a manifesto that clearly stated No Deal

- Every single one of the Labour parliamentarians have been elected on a pro-brexit manifesto

- even many independent and some Lib Dems have been elected on pro brexit manifestos.

- the last national election one party with no manifesto and no policies apart from no-deal sweeped to electoral Victory!

Do you think that that sentence you pick is accurate?

What do you want the British government to do now regarding brexit and how do you deem that to be democratic?

May I also ask who you voted for in the European elections? and who you intend to vote for in an up coming general election?
Gordon Brown became PM that way only because there was no opponent. I agree that rules are rules, but the PM is such a presidential role now (and just look at how Johnson intends to use it, the mind boggles) that it really does throw into doubt the current constitutional arrangements, as do a bunch of other things. That doesn't mean that what BJ is proposing is not crushingly anti-democratic, even by the norms of our battered and establishment-favouring 'constitution'.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I would think this would be exceptional and sui generis.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qup)
Boris doing...whatever you state he is, to pass Brexit isn't undemocratic, especially when Brexit itself is the product of a democratic voting process.
It wasn't the result of a splendid democratic process. It was completely manipulated by a narrow slice of billionaire global finance capital interests and implemented by internal traitors like the Tory Right and the current PM, who lied and lied about our true interests.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
With Cummings at the helm and Trump's team of oligarch-lackies pressuring Bojo at the current summit, it's pretty much a certainty they will go down this or a similarly extreme road.
Perhaps. I guess it depends what the legal advice says. I believe the queen could potentially be involved too she is the one who ultimately suspends parliament. She could theoretically say no.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you want to live in a dictatorship, feel free to go and live in Saudi or Russia. Dictatorships are great as long as you either agree with or suck up to the dictator.

Boris suspending our democratically elected parliament is a very sad day for our democracy especially as many of those who voted to leave did so to be free of ehat the perveived to be a lack of democratic democracy from Europe.

Yes, seeking advice is different, but I still support PM suspending Parliament. If you think you live in a democracy then you are deluded. We have been lied to for decades and this is just one of the examples of how anti-democratic the system really is. You need to wake up and fight for your nation. There are people who have boldly decided to ignore the will of the people and do whatever they want, yet they claim it is a democracy.

Yes, people voted to leave to have their own Parliament as supreme, but that is not what is happening. Parliament is clearly defying the wish of the people and have entered the realm of treason in my opinion.

We need to get past Brexit, deal or no deal, we have been on our knees for 3 years and the uncertainty have destroyed our economy. It is so bad and I have begun to hear businesses beg the Government to do whatever it takes.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
parliament is full of quislings so suspending parliament to deliver on the referendum is the most democratic thing he can do
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
I would think this would be exceptional and sui generis.
Every act that appears to be approved of by the non-constitution British constitution becomes a precedent pretty much by default. Going forwards can we expect Parliament to be prorogued every time the PM wants to pass a bill to enrich his/her pals, make fox hunting compulsory in schools or to abolish Liverpool? (Sorry to bring that last one in, just one of Boris's former ideas.)
SteveyStack
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

We do live in an EU dictatorship though. The EU has a history of reversing votes they don’t like.

Ultimately if we are not allowed to leave the EU by Parliament then you can as has been said forget about democracy in this country.

I don’t deny this is not particularly democratic but today’s politics is horrendously hypocritical. Just because you disagree with a democratic vote does not give you the right to subvert it!
Saffron08
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I am acc sick of Brexit 🤦🏽*♀️
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Gordon Brown became PM that way only because there was no opponent. I agree that rules are rules, but the PM is such a presidential role now (and just look at how Johnson intends to use it, the mind boggles) that it really does throw into doubt the current constitutional arrangements, as do a bunch of other things. That doesn't mean that what BJ is proposing is not crushingly anti-democratic, even by the norms of our battered and establishment-favouring 'constitution'.
Not how I remember 2007 mate, the PM is not a president, we can't have the monarchy when it suits and ignore it when it doesn't.

I notice you missed my questions, you probably know me by now they are leading questions I will admit lol

I don't think parliament will be suspended, however I do think that the cmfake cries of anti democracy is laughably biast from the group who are quite literally wishing to defy the actions of every single national election since 2016, including the referendum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (168)
24.56%
Pop (170)
24.85%
Jazz (27)
3.95%
Classical (41)
5.99%
Hip-Hop (123)
17.98%