barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Le Male)
https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/12/more-...hows-10560183/

The silent majority stands with Boris.
In one sense but not another in that they do not want to split the Union.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

I don't think you understand what 'silent majority' means, but thank you for the link
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Well, I think that conclusively proves that Parliament is in touch with the British public. The British public want two inconsistent outcomes simultaneously and Parliament has been striving remorselessly to deliver that for the last three years.
_Wellies_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

No surprise really. The majority of people are instinctively followers and will meekly stand how their establishment masters tell them to.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
In one sense but not another in that they do not want to split the Union.
There is of course no guarantee that the union will be lost. The only Scottish polls to support your case are those with DK excluded which is a stupid way to perform polling analysis. There are no polls to support the idea that the union will fall in NI or Wales, those myths are spouted by those who support such an outcome.

As a unionist myself I would be in despair if we actually lost a part of ourselves (indeed Boris losing such a referendum would see me abandon support) however I don’t believe the threat is quite as large as stated. Indeed there is every chance that the SNP-Greens will lose their Hollywood majority in 2021 (polling could change of course).
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
As a unionist myself I would be in despair if we actually lost a part of ourselves (indeed Boris losing such a referendum would see me abandon support) however I don’t believe the threat is quite as large as stated. Indeed there is every chance that the SNP-Greens will lose their Hollywood majority in 2021 (polling could change of course).
Caroline Lucas will be thrilled to hear that she's in power in Hollywood. :teehee:

Setting aside trivial spelling moans, the issue of Scottish independence will come storming back if there's a hard Brexit and (as is very likely) it results in a severe recession. The Scots will rightly question why they should remain involved under those conditions. With a more rational Brexit, Scotland will stay with the UK and the SNP will either split or fizzle. It's always been two parties, a Tory SNP and a leftwing SNP - and that could split.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Caroline Lucas will be thrilled to hear that she's in power in Hollywood. :teehee:

Setting aside trivial spelling moans, the issue of Scottish independence will come storming back if there's a hard Brexit and (as is very likely) it results in a severe recession. The Scots will rightly question why they should remain involved under those conditions. With a more rational Brexit, Scotland will stay with the UK and the SNP will either split or fizzle. It's always been two parties, a Tory SNP and a leftwing SNP - and that could split.
I agree that the timing of the Scottish election vs Brexit is a complication. If the economic shock is long rather than short and stretches into 2021 then the Snats will try to call one with a fresh mandate. Fortunately the OBR suggests growth returns in 2021.

The SNP won’t weaken properly until they have to endure opposition and even then it requires Labour in Scotland to have a brain.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
I agree that the timing of the Scottish election vs Brexit is a complication. If the economic shock is long rather than short and stretches into 2021 then the Snats will try to call one with a fresh mandate. Fortunately the OBR suggests growth returns in 2021.

The SNP won’t weaken properly until they have to endure opposition and even then it requires Labour in Scotland to have a brain.
Labour in Scotland have hardly made a good case for themselves sitting on the fence over Brexit for so long so I am not really holding my breath re their chances being massively improved.

Regarding would Scotland swing over to leaving the UK, let me put it this way- I spent a lot of time in 2014 campaigning to preserve the Union, if a No Deal Brexit now occurs, and if its economic outcome is as I fear it will be, I doubt I will be campaigning that strongly in Indy Ref 2. I also know a few people up here who are now of similar viewpoint.

Indy Ref 1 did not succeed as it foundered on the economic arguments but the UK referendum succeeded to bring about a leave vote despite the economic arguments, there could quite readily be a sod it backlash where Scotland becomes as economically irrational as large parts of England.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Protestors marched on Buckingham Palace angry at the queen for allowing the "couq"

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/st...cian-arrested/

Looks like the UK may finally get its bourgeois revolution. :france:
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Protestors marched on Buckingham Palace angry at the queen for allowing the "couq"

Nothing will come out from this nonsense. What are the expecting, the Queen to resign from being Monarch? It is laughable.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
What are the expecting, the Queen to resign from being Monarch?
No

Mainly poking fun at liberals who thought some legal process was going to save them from Brexit being radicalised.
Last edited by ChaoticButterfly; 3 weeks ago
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No

Mainly poking fun at liberals who thought some legal process was going to save them from Brexit being radicalised.
They will do whatever they can to stop the will of the people.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Including overthrowing the monarchy?

*fingers crossed*
_Wellies_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Brexit was never about the will of the people and was certainly never about what was best for Britain.

It was about the Eurosceptic faction of the establishment vying for power. Ever wondered why the likes of the Telegraph and Mail were pumping out articles about how anti-establishment Brexit was? Or why we haven't seen the emergence of a new breed politicans not drawn from the establishment?

They won. They achieved the power they wanted by feeding the easily manipulated people the message they wanted to hear.
Le Male
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Do you honestly think, overweight, over-wined, red-skinned, LibDem-voting middle class gammons have the balls to do anything other than write not very witty slogans on placards and prance around like fools before going to work tomorrow?
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Including overthrowing the monarchy?

*fingers crossed*
Overthrowing the monarchy will destroy the UK.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by _Wellies_)
Brexit was never about the will of the people and was certainly never about what was best for Britain.

It was about the Eurosceptic faction of the establishment vying for power. Ever wondered why the likes of the Telegraph and Mail were pumping out articles about how anti-establishment Brexit was? Or why we haven't seen the emergence of a new breed politicans not drawn from the establishment?

They won. They achieved the power they wanted by feeding the easily manipulated people the message they wanted to hear.
It was about the will of the people. It showed how dissatisfied the people were in their government.

Can you tell me who are the establishment? I have heard this word use so many times but nobody can tell me who they are.

Please provide a list of establishment politicians with clear links to your defined establishment.
Le Male
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Overthrowing the monarchy will destroy the UK.
It will also never happen. The monarchy could abdicate if enough people stop caring, but the very idea that dissatisfied Londonite remoaners can or will do anything is the stuff of fantasy.

People revolt when they feel they have little to lose, upper middle class homeowners in London are afraid their houses might becoming worth a bit less. This is a coward's march, not a revolution.

The other issue is how tired people are of the LibDem/UMC/Remoaner class trying to stifle Brexit, even people who either did not vote or voted remain are now feeling the damage done by the indecision is worse than that done by Brexit itself. In fact I have a theory that leave only won because of the insufferable snobbery of the remain campaign. People don't want Brexit, they want people like Geldoff and their Guardian reading lackies to just be quiet and show some humility.
Last edited by Le Male; 3 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Wellies_)

Indeed. One of the silliest imaginable things is Boris trying to pass himself as some sort of anti-establishment figure. This is simply one part of the global plutocracy as reflected in London feuding with another part.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Please provide a list of establishment politicians with clear links to your defined establishment.
Feel free to continue with your comforting but foolish belief that the likes of Farage and Johnson are in this for the interests of the ordinary person.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed