OCR Economics GCSE - Any advice on how to get a 9?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Centaurii
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I'm doing Economics GCSE this year, and I'm pretty fine with macroeconomics - microeconomics is my weak spot. Are there any resources I can use to learn and revise from - and any revision tips in general. A second problem I face is that there is no structure for OCRs exam questions that I could find. History has a set structure for 12 markers and 16 markers, yet I can't seem to find any of that for OCR economics. Thanks in advance for any helpful comment/s!
Last edited by Centaurii; 2 years ago
liamlarner
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
bump someone help i have the same question
maddymonster99
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Hey so I did the GCSE this year and got an 8. OCR is honestly such a strange exam board when it comes to structures and offers little help as the exemplars appeared so easy to get 6 out of 6 and then the real exam came and suddenly your answers weren't enough and they ask you to define stuff not even in the course which you won't have studied for. Even the multiple choice was hard and the extracts just really confusing and hard to truly understand. I even dropped in a level diagrams to really broaden and make my analysis stronger, but that didn't seems to be enough for the 9 I wanted and that really irritates me. What advice I would give is to use quotes from the extracts as much as possible and try to really have an meaningful, concluding paragraph that shows you have analysed to the highest degree. I think maybe try to use real world examples to show the examiners you can apply past the textbook. Best revision tips is to know definitions inside and out, but don't be surprised when they ask you to define the 'demand of her friends' (yes they really asked that and yes no one understood what they were on about) even going as far to make us evaluate the importance of PED for people (yes they really asked us that smh). Make as many flashcards as you can and maybe learn some a level diagrams to push your answers it might work for you-j curve, Phillips's curve, Keynesian curve, inequality curve. Ohhh top tip my teacher loved when we linked in other topics into answers like if they ask to evaluate I dunno the importance of PES for businesses you don't just say oh if they take too much time to replenish supply they miss out on selling to consumers decreasing revenue you nuance it and say having quality g/s is more important than PES as even with high PES if the quality decreases then customers are deterred so then you add in a factor of demand that widens your argument. With micro if you're struggling I say a good technique is to draw a basic business on paper (literally) give it a business name and for each topic in micro around the business link the topic to the business so oh this ice cream place would be affected by habitual consumption if people were addicted to ice cream which is good for them as more revenue but the government would be in debt because they'd have to increase spending on healthcare or the ice cream is a excludable g/d as price can limit who uses it so it less likely to see the market failure due to public goods--i actually don't know if that's correct I haven't looked at my economics notes in like 3 months but do you get what I'm saying. Finally mnemonics are a great way to get info in fast like gist for current account, 'trade in' goods, income flows, services, transfers. Lol I hope this ramble helps you and you understood. Best of luck with GCSE economics.

p.s- don't buy the textbook, waste of 25 pounds that didn't tell me the difference between price and cost of purchase or 6 marker structure. Let your teacher/school buy it for you
liamlarner
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by maddymonster99)
Hey so I did the GCSE this year and got an 8. OCR is honestly such a strange exam board when it comes to structures and offers little help as the exemplars appeared so easy to get 6 out of 6 and then the real exam came and suddenly your answers weren't enough and they ask you to define stuff not even in the course which you won't have studied for. Even the multiple choice was hard and the extracts just really confusing and hard to truly understand. I even dropped in a level diagrams to really broaden and make my analysis stronger, but that didn't seems to be enough for the 9 I wanted and that really irritates me. What advice I would give is to use quotes from the extracts as much as possible and try to really have an meaningful, concluding paragraph that shows you have analysed to the highest degree. I think maybe try to use real world examples to show the examiners you can apply past the textbook. Best revision tips is to know definitions inside and out, but don't be surprised when they ask you to define the 'demand of her friends' (yes they really asked that and yes no one understood what they were on about) even going as far to make us evaluate the importance of PED for people (yes they really asked us that smh). Make as many flashcards as you can and maybe learn some a level diagrams to push your answers it might work for you-j curve, Phillips's curve, Keynesian curve, inequality curve. Ohhh top tip my teacher loved when we linked in other topics into answers like if they ask to evaluate I dunno the importance of PES for businesses you don't just say oh if they take too much time to replenish supply they miss out on selling to consumers decreasing revenue you nuance it and say having quality g/s is more important than PES as even with high PES if the quality decreases then customers are deterred so then you add in a factor of demand that widens your argument. With micro if you're struggling I say a good technique is to draw a basic business on paper (literally) give it a business name and for each topic in micro around the business link the topic to the business so oh this ice cream place would be affected by habitual consumption if people were addicted to ice cream which is good for them as more revenue but the government would be in debt because they'd have to increase spending on healthcare or the ice cream is a excludable g/d as price can limit who uses it so it less likely to see the market failure due to public goods--i actually don't know if that's correct I haven't looked at my economics notes in like 3 months but do you get what I'm saying. Finally mnemonics are a great way to get info in fast like gist for current account, 'trade in' goods, income flows, services, transfers. Lol I hope this ramble helps you and you understood. Best of luck with GCSE economics.

p.s- don't buy the textbook, waste of 25 pounds that didn't tell me the difference between price and cost of purchase or 6 marker structure. Let your teacher/school buy it for you
Hi there thanks for your help i really want a 9 in Economics to prepare me for A Level Economics my brother has just finished A Level Economics and i have his old textbooks they were for the new a level spec would you say it would be useful learning some of the a level content like labour market cost and demand the maths skills etc to secure that 9
Centaurii
Rep:
Thanks! OCR seems to be a right devil, your advice comes in handy
astrostardromada
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
literally going through the same problem! I love the macro and I think the micro section is layed out in such a way that it'as just so confusing to read and get your head around!
neha6780
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
hey I got a 9 so I'm happy to ask any specific questions that you may have about revision in general... I would say in the exam make sure you always reference the case study and try to include unique evaluative statements in the long mark questions because they really make your answer stand out. Also, make sure you learn the definitions of all the terms in the glossary of the textbook (remember to start off every long answer defining the point they ask you to explain)
neha6780
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Also don't do the old spec past papers because they are useless and the question style is so different from the new 9-1 spec - I was shocked in my exam because some questions were just so...odd
liamlarner
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by neha6780)
Also don't do the old spec past papers because they are useless and the question style is so different from the new 9-1 spec - I was shocked in my exam because some questions were just so...odd
I have a private tutor for economics so i have seen the 2019 papers and i do have to say some questions are so weird what is your top advice for the multiple choice questions at the beginning because there is so many of them and a lot of the options they give u mislead u to give u the incorrect answer almost cheating you out of marks what would advise to do for a 9 in the multiple choice questions
neha6780
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I was always terrible in the multiple choice part! I practically lost all of my marks in the section 1 of both papers so unfortunately I have no tips for you there... I would say that there are always 2 which you can easily eliminate so try to do that first because it always helps - sometimes my mind would just go blank and so the easiest multiple choice question just wouldn't make any sense to me
liamlarner
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by neha6780)
I was always terrible in the multiple choice part! I practically lost all of my marks in the section 1 of both papers so unfortunately I have no tips for you there... I would say that there are always 2 which you can easily eliminate so try to do that first because it always helps - sometimes my mind would just go blank and so the easiest multiple choice question just wouldn't make any sense to me
ok and my final question is i am aiming for a 6/7 but hoping for a 9 is it a good idea to do the paper in this order

1.Evaluate and big marker questions
2. state questions for example "state what is meant by money "as a medium of exchange
3. multiple choice questions
Centaurii
Rep:
Oh this is fantastic! My email lit up with notifications, thanks for the tips posted. 😊

One question I do have is how often did you do exam questions and was I intensive throughout or towards the exam itself*
Centaurii
Rep:
A little rundown of the exam structure of the analyse and evaluate questions would also be greatly appreciated
neha6780
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
So I basically started doing exam practice closer to the exam and I would regularly go through the revision notes I made - another tip is to do the iGCSE multiple choice questions as they are slightly more challenging - also if you get one wrong its good to make annotations on the side for exactly what it was that you misinterpreted
neha6780
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Personally, I did the paper in order as there are usually 6 questions but with various different parts and sometimes you can use the info from the smaller 2 and 3 mark questions in you 6 mark questions so it would put you at a disadvantage if you did them in any other order - if you don't understand one then star it and come back to it at the end
neha6780
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Another tip would be to never attempt a longer evaluative question unless you have quite a few things in your mind that you can write about - it can be quite upsetting if you come up with a good idea nearer to the end of the exam but have no space to fit it in
Centaurii
Rep:
Would you say the following is good for structuring?

Evaluate (6)
- Give one or two positive points and explain using the PEEL model. (Point, Evidence/Reasoning, Explain, Link)
- Do the same for an alternative to the first point. I.e. if its about PED importance, your second paragraph will be about other factors like non price competition (high quality etc).

-Round off with conclusion

Analyse (6)
- PEEL paragraph for 3 or 4 factors which affect the firm in context of the question. (Refer to given case study)
neha6780
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Yep that sounds good! As long as your analysis is in-depth + remember to add an evaluative point in your conclusion that could link to the effect on the wider economy
Centaurii
Rep:
So dash in a little macro consequence in your conclusion if possible
astrostardromada
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by liamlarner)
I have a private tutor for economics so i have seen the 2019 papers and i do have to say some questions are so weird what is your top advice for the multiple choice questions at the beginning because there is so many of them and a lot of the options they give u mislead u to give u the incorrect answer almost cheating you out of marks what would advise to do for a 9 in the multiple choice questions
Hiya! As a student myself I know that this course has limited resources available to aid students to get those high grades, I was wondering if u could post the exam papers here as I've done all the others available and the OCR have gotten rid of the old spec exam papers. Many thanks xx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (146)
42.44%
Not yet, but I will soon (62)
18.02%
No (136)
39.53%

Watched Threads