The Student Room Group

Is this the right choice for me?

I’ve been stressed and depressed since results day.

From getting rejected by my firm (Queen Mary), thinking of going to my insurance only to see how bad it is (Westminister) and going through clearing and getting into a good uni only to find it’s too faraway for my liking and on my campus visit just didn’t like it (Royal Holloway University)

Hence I’ve ultimately decided to just take a gap year and resit bio and chem that I’m confident I can get an A in this time round hence pushing my grades to AAB

However, what I’m worried about is what if resit and the universities I want to go to like kings and queen Mary don’t accept resits (and I don’t know if my extenuating circumstances are satisfying)

(There’s also the whole ucas application stress because if I decided to defer my year at RHUL or if I go back; Westminster, I can’t apply through ucas during my deferred year, so it’s either not doing an application until reuslts day and having a referee on hand or rejecting my place at uni this year and not having a guaranteed place at university for next year just in case my resits somehow go awful)

(As well as that because I can’t afford to enroll at sixth form and college and pay tuition fees for retaking year 13, so I’ll be studying independently and taking the resits at an exam centre or school, I’m gonna be charged council tax and rent and stuff which is all new to me, and I feel bad about putting more burden on my parents shoulder even though I’m gonna work during my year and help out)

I’m just worried that QM and kings won’t consider me even if I let’s say called them during clearing next year because of my grades being resit

I don’t know, the other option would be to start pharmacology at westminister and resit during my first year there and then try to transfer, but considering resit results come out during August it’ll be too late to transfer so idk.

Taking a gap year and resitting is the best option but I don’t know if it’s going to be considered for the London universities I want to apply to.

I’m gonna call kings and queens tomorrow about it and ask them.

(Btw I had slight extenuating circumstances throughout my exams, my mental health was really bad, my anxiety had been through the roof and there was a lot of stuff going on at home like a lot of screaming and violence, but I was too ashamed and scared to tell my GP about it when she was writing a medical note for me)
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Alayna1234

From getting rejected by my firm (Queen Mary), thinking of going to my insurance only to see how bad it is (Westminister) and going through clearing and getting into a good uni only to find it’s too faraway for my liking and on my campus visit just didn’t like it (Royal Holloway University)

Hence I’ve ultimately decided to just take a gap year and resit bio and chem that I’m confident I can get an A in this time round hence pushing my grades to AAB

However, what I’m worried about is what if resit and the universities I want to go to like kings and queen Mary don’t accept resits (and I don’t know if my extenuating circumstances are satisfying)

(There’s also the whole ucas application stress because if I decided to defer my year at RHUL or if I go back; Westminster, I can’t apply through ucas during my deferred year, so it’s either not doing an application until reuslts day and having a referee on hand or rejecting my place at uni this year and not having a guaranteed place at university for next year just in case my resits somehow go awful)

(As well as that because I can’t afford to enroll at sixth form and college and pay tuition fees for retaking year 13, so I’ll be studying independently and taking the resits at an exam centre or school, I’m gonna be charged council tax and rent and stuff which is all new to me, and I feel bad about putting more burden on my parents shoulder even though I’m gonna work during my year and help out)

I’m just worried that QM and kings won’t consider me even if I let’s say called them during clearing next year because of my grades being resit

I don’t know, the other option would be to start pharmacology at westminister and resit during my first year there and then try to transfer, but considering resit results come out during August it’ll be too late to transfer so idk.

Taking a gap year and resitting is the best option but I don’t know if it’s going to be considered for the London universities I want to apply to.

(Btw I had slight extenuating circumstances throughout my exams, my mental health was really bad, my anxiety had been through the roof and there was a lot of stuff going on at home like a lot of screaming and violence, but I was too ashamed and scared to tell my GP about it when she was writing a medical note for me)

you didn't get very good grades and didn't flag up mental health issues at the time. Westminster is ok for your situation
Reply 3
Original post by A Rolling Stone
you didn't get very good grades and didn't flag up mental health issues at the time. Westminster is ok for your situation

But I don’t want it to effect my options.

I want to ultimately do grad med.

I’m just worried if I get a first in westminister they’ll discriminate cos of the bad university, and if grad med somehow doesn’t work out I will have to temporally work in industry and my degree even if it’s a first if it’s from a bad uni, it might hinder my career, that’s what I’m worried about.

I’m gonna resit a levels regardless, let’s see, if I resit during my first year, can I just apply to kings and queens like normal? Like apply for year 1 instead of a transfer?

I’m just worried if I get a first in westminister they’ll discriminate cos of the bad university, and if grad med somehow doesn’t work out I will have to temporally work in industry and my degree even if it’s a first if it’s from a bad uni, it might hinder my career, that’s what I’m worried about.

I’m gonna resit a levels regardless, let’s see, if I resit during my first year, can I just apply to kings and queens like normal? Like apply for year 1 instead of a transfer?

sorry to be blunt here but i am very sceptical that you are medicine calibre. whilst i can't be sure what graduate medicine is like, undergrad medicine is like doing 10-12 AS levels every year which is too much for most students to cope with
Reply 5
sorry to be blunt here but i am very sceptical that you are medicine calibre. whilst i can't be sure what graduate medicine is like, undergrad medicine is like doing 10-12 AS levels every year which is too much for most students to cope with

I’m going for grad med. it is what I want to do. My a levels didn’t go well because of multiple reasons, just bc my a levels have gone bad and mind you not bc I couldn’t do well personally but bc of other issues doesn’t mean I’m too stupid to do med.

I’m not thinking of doing undergrad med but grad med, I still want to make sure my a levels are okay.
Reply 6

You didn’t answer any of my questions other expressing your skepticism about my abilities :/

I’m sorry but that’s not what I need, I’m well aware I’ve done bad. I don’t need anyone rubbing that in my face, especially because I know where I went wrong.
I’m going for grad med. it is what I want to do. My a levels didn’t go well because of multiple reasons, just bc my a levels have gone bad and mind you not bc I couldn’t do well personally but bc of other issues doesn’t mean I’m too stupid to do med.

I’m not thinking of doing undergrad med but grad med, I still want to make sure my a levels are okay.

in terms of getting into university, it's well known that graduate medicine is even more competitive than undergrad.

ask yourself honestly, if your mental health was 100% would you have been able to cope with up to 12 AS levels at once?

Are you just looking at London? You need to ask if resits are acceptable. Otherwise go to RH - it's better than Westminster -
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
in terms of getting into university, it's well known that graduate medicine is even more competitive than undergrad.

ask yourself honestly, if your mental health was 100% would you have been able to cope with up to 12 AS levels at once?

Yes, I’m a motivated and hard working person Well was until my mental health deteriorated, I’ve been getting help and I’m starting to get back to myself so yes if it’s something I want do then he’s.
Original post by Muttley79
Are you just looking at London? You need to ask if resits are acceptable. Otherwise go to RH - it's better than Westminster -

I hated RH, though, I didn’t like anything about the university and I know I’ll be miserable there.

Do you think i should just take a year out and resit?
I hated RH, though, I didn’t like anything about the university and I know I’ll be miserable there.

Do you think i should just take a year out and resit?

Personally no - don;t resit without checking with unis. What didn't you like about RH? I know people that have loved it - without students around any uni feels strange.
try a foundation year if possible or access course allowing you to proceed to the normal course or fast track.
Original post by TheRealSaifali
try a foundation year if possible or access course allowing you to proceed to the normal course or fast track.

There isn’t any from my knowledge
Original post by Muttley79
Personally no - don;t resit without checking with unis. What didn't you like about RH? I know people that have loved it - without students around any uni feels strange.

The fact that it’s faraway, I never wanted to go so far, and the fact that in the middle of nowhere in a village and the vibe just didn’t click with me. I wasn’t happy with it all.

Obviously I’m gonna call before I decide to resit, I’m just hoping if not through normal applications they’ll let me try again on results day for clearing if there’s spaces left
The fact that it’s faraway, I never wanted to go so far, and the fact that in the middle of nowhere in a village and the vibe just didn’t click with me. I wasn’t happy with it all.

Obviously I’m gonna call before I decide to resit, I’m just hoping if not through normal applications they’ll let me try again on results day for clearing if there’s spaces left

Faraway is Edinburgh or Belfast - are you planning to commute then?
Wait so let’s make this clear, you did your a levels but you didn’t perform as well as you wanted to, now you are thinking of waiting a year and then doing resits?

Please confirm this is right so I can help to the best of my knowledge
Reply 17

what subject are you applying for/did you apply for?
Original post by 2500_2
what subject are you applying for/did you apply for?

Mostly biosciences, kings college does take resits, I don’t know why everyone keeps saying no, but I just checked their website and they do.

I think I’m gonna just resit.
There are plenty of bioscience courses that offer foundation years

Quick Reply

Latest