mannumo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I have 2 years of A-levels left, is there anything I can do to get as many UCAS points as possible?
EmperorTortoise
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mannumo)
I have 2 years of A-levels left, is there anything I can do to get as many UCAS points as possible?
DofE, EPQ
claudia.2802
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
EPQ can be a good one, since you can make it relate to what you want to study.
Some performing and musical awards can give you UCAS points, but only if you are at a high standard so unless you are musical it may not be worth it.
Could do an AS subject? Not worth many even with an A grade.
mannumo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by claudia.2802)
EPQ can be a good one, since you can make it relate to what you want to study.
Some performing and musical awards can give you UCAS points, but only if you are at a high standard so unless you are musical it may not be worth it.
Could do an AS subject? Not worth many even with an A grade.
My school doesn't do EPQ so if I do some independent research will it still give me UCAS point or help me get an offer from universities?
mannumo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EmperorTortoise)
DofE, EPQ
DofE doesn't give UCAS points.
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you can play any musical instrument/ perform to a high standard, I believe that some of those awards can provide UCAS points
claudia.2802
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My school doesn't do EPQ so if I do some independent research will it still give me UCAS point or help me get an offer from universities?
Doing independent research will not give you UCAS points, but will look good as it shows you are doing further reading and may be beyond what you are learning.
Some universities do not look at UCAS points and will look at grades instead. Just depends where you go.
If you dont mind me asking, what are you planning on doing and where?
mannumo
Rep:
?
(Original post by claudia.2802)
Doing independent research will not give you UCAS points, but will look good as it shows you are doing further reading and may be beyond what you are learning.
Some universities do not look at UCAS points and will look at grades instead. Just depends where you go.
If you dont mind me asking, what are you planning on doing and where?
I'm trying to get into UCL, Cambridge or any university around that kind of level and I want to do medicine.
DGeorge13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm trying to get into UCL, Cambridge or any university around that kind of level and I want to do medicine.
Only QMUL uses ucas tariff for medicine the rest use grades
mannumo
Rep:
?
(Original post by DGeorge13)
Only QMUL uses ucas tariff for medicine the rest use grades
Thank you I wasn't sure before, but I'll try to get my UCAS points up anyway. There's no harm.
学生の父
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Realistically, even universities which use the UCAS tariff for entry may cap the number of qualifications at the equivalent of 3 A-levels. In other words, piling more and more qualies on won't be of much benefit.

If you are doing A-levels, and are trying for Medicine, do your level best in your 3 or 4 subjects. An extra AS or EPQ may help you stand out, but a Grade 8 in bass trombone is unlikely to do so.

UCL and Cambridge care far more about your BMAT score and your performance at interview. If you get a place, you will then need to concentrate on getting the A*AA (UCL) or A*A*A (Cambridge) in your offer.
2500_2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
CoPE
Arts Award

Upping your tariff absolutely is worth doing if you want to apply to Barts as it takes your pressure off your UCAT score. But an epq or a 4th Alevel is an easier way to do that (but the 4th Alevel is often a hindrance elsewhere if it brings anything else down). But no one else worries about the tariff.
mannumo
Rep:
?
(Original post by 2500_2)
CoPE
Arts Award

Upping your tariff absolutely is worth doing if you want to apply to Barts as it takes your pressure off your UCAT score. But an epq or a 4th Alevel is an easier way to do that (but the 4th Alevel is often a hindrance elsewhere if it brings anything else down). But no one else worries about the tariff.
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (26)
6.62%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (229)
58.27%
No (138)
35.11%

Watched Threads