Provisional Licence at 16 Help

Watch
Thrilla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I want to apply for a provisional at 16, just so I have ID until I turn 17,when I'll start learning to drive a car.

Gov.uk tells me I have to be 17 or I'll only get a provisional moped licence.

However, I've heard that the moped licence and car licence are the same, and the licence just has a date on it for when it is valid for driving a car.

Can anyone tell me if this is still definitely the case in 2019? I don't want just a provisional moped licence, so I need to make sure I can get the right thing.
Last edited by Thrilla; 1 year ago
mosaicenglish
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Thrilla)
Hi, I want to apply for a provisional at 16, just so I have ID until I turn 17,when I'll start learning to drive a car.

Gov.uk tells me I have to be 17 or I'll only get a provisional moped license.

However, I've heard that the moped licence and car licence are the same, and the licence just has a date on it for when it is valid for driving a car.

Can anyone tell me if this is still definitely the case in 2019? I don't want just a provisional moped licence, so I need to make sure I can get the right thing.
As you stated you can apply before you are 16 for immediate moped usage, but you will need to wait until you are 17 to use it for driving a car.
Thrilla
Rep:
?
(Original post by mosaicenglish)
As you stated you can apply before you are 16 for immediate moped usage, but you will need to wait until you are 17 to use it for driving a car.
So if I apply for it now when I'm 16 once I turn 17 the same licence will become valid for driving a car and I definitely won't have to reapply? Sorry I'm going on about this I just want to double check before I apply
dontevenknow2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So if I apply for it now when I'm 16 once I turn 17 the same licence will become valid for driving a car and I definitely won't have to reapply? Sorry I'm going on about this I just want to double check before I apply
I just applied yesterday, I got a moped license, It turns to a driving license once you turn 17. You can drive with the provisional license with someone over 21
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Gov.uk tells me I have to be 17 or I'll only get a provisional moped license.

omg i was about to congratulate you on being the first person on TSR to have ever spelt licence correctly and then you slipped up in the second sentence........
Thrilla
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
omg i was about to congratulate you on being the first person on TSR to have ever spelt licence correctly and then you slipped up in the second sentence........
Oops lol, I'll fix it just for you ๐Ÿ˜…
Last edited by Thrilla; 1 year ago
s817
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dontevenknow2)
I just applied yesterday, I got a moped license, It turns to a driving license once you turn 17. You can drive with the provisional license with someone over 21
And the person must have had their drivers licence for at least 3 years before they can be your instructor
dontevenknow2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by s817)
And the person must have had their drivers licence for at least 3 years before they can be your instruct
Yep and I think L plates are needed
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Gov.uk tells me I have to be 17 or I'll only get a provisional moped licence.

It's the same licence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (41)
16.02%
I'm not sure (8)
3.13%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (92)
35.94%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.56%
I'm not a current university student (111)
43.36%

Watched Threads