AdenHazard
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys!

I'm from Non-EU country, currently working for a well known analytics company. I'm planning to take MSC Data Science next year and hope to work in London in the future.

From what I see, City module suits me the most but I'm not sure about the low ranking which might affect my job prospect working for a big company.

For data science graduates and people who is taking msc data science, what do you think of this course? Is Data science course popular in City University of London? Thanks!
Last edited by AdenHazard; 1 year ago
AdenHazard
Rep:
?
BUMP!!
AdenHazard
Rep:
?
Bump!!
AdenHazard
Rep:
?
Hazard > CR7 / Messi
TasteLikeChicken
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not a data scientist, but I've completed a BSc in Computer Science and I'm going to do an MSc in Intelligent Robotics, which can be seen as a different application of the same tools used in Data Science. From what I've studied about data science in undergrad, and the reading I have done on the subject when I was interested in becoming one, it looks like a good course which covers all bases. I'm pretty sure many DS jobs want a Masters, so it's good that you're pursuing it. I suspect that it is a fairly competitive job in London, as many people with numerate degrees (not just CS/DS, maths, physics, engineering etc) will be attracted to the lucrative industry, but having the MSc will definitely be a huge help. Make sure to work hard, get a good grade, choose an interesting (and applicable project)- and maybe even have side projects- and you should be good to get a job after your graduate.

Just re-read your post and see that you have analytics experience. That is great, and will almost certainly ensure that you will have good job prospects.

Best of luck.
dislikechocolate
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by TasteLikeChicken)
Not a data scientist, but I've completed a BSc in Computer Science and I'm going to do an MSc in Intelligent Robotics, which can be seen as a different application of the same tools used in Data Science. From what I've studied about data science in undergrad, and the reading I have done on the subject when I was interested in becoming one, it looks like a good course which covers all bases. I'm pretty sure many DS jobs want a Masters, so it's good that you're pursuing it. I suspect that it is a fairly competitive job in London, as many people with numerate degrees (not just CS/DS, maths, physics, engineering etc) will be attracted to the lucrative industry, but having the MSc will definitely be a huge help. Make sure to work hard, get a good grade, choose an interesting (and applicable project)- and maybe even have side projects- and you should be good to get a job after your graduate.

Just re-read your post and see that you have analytics experience. That is great, and will almost certainly ensure that you will have good job prospects.

Best of luck.
Have you started on your program? How did you find it so far?
TasteLikeChicken
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by dislikechocolate)
Have you started on your program? How did you find it so far?
Yeah, I have started. It's pretty good, just doesn't go into my favourite areas of robotics, it's more general. Luckily I have gotten into a PhD starting September, where I can finally start working on my dream research areas. Are you interested in robotics?
dislikechocolate
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by TasteLikeChicken)
Yeah, I have started. It's pretty good, just doesn't go into my favourite areas of robotics, it's more general. Luckily I have gotten into a PhD starting September, where I can finally start working on my dream research areas. Are you interested in robotics?
Not quite, though now that you asked i remember building a little ladybug 'robot' with my dad when I was younger haha. I was just considering City's offer but I applied for a different program- MSc in Data Science. How do you find resources or teaching quality in City? I'm not quite interested to continue until PhD, so I'm more concerned about employability- are there any of your classmates who have started looking for a job yet?
TasteLikeChicken
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by dislikechocolate)
Not quite, though now that you asked i remember building a little ladybug 'robot' with my dad when I was younger haha. I was just considering City's offer but I applied for a different program- MSc in Data Science. How do you find resources or teaching quality in City? I'm not quite interested to continue until PhD, so I'm more concerned about employability- are there any of your classmates who have started looking for a job yet?
Oh sorry, I don't go to City. In initial post, I just highlighted I did robotics (and some data science in my undergrad) to show I knew some stuff about the topic. I'm sure that the course will be fine, I wouldn't worry about that. People in my cohort were applying for graduate schemes at around November/December time, because they usually close in January. There are loads of data science/analysis graduate schemes and graduate jobs, so you won't have trouble finding any. I actually did a data analysis module in my MSc, just finished the coursework, so if you want to know some basic concepts, or what programming languages and libraries are used, do let me know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads