Bazyli
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
So I graduate in a year and I’m wondering whether I should get a job for a couple of years or go for a masters straight after uni. My dream course is the MPhil in Modern Middle Eastern Studies from the University of Oxford. I currently study Geography and Economics at LSE and I’m on track for a first. Is it a good idea to go straight into another degree? Thanks!
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Do it.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It's not clear what really you're getting at.

If you're asking, is it inherently unwise to do a master's straight away? No. Plenty of people do it.
Bazyli
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
It's not clear what really you're getting at.

If you're asking, is it inherently unwise to do a master's straight away? No. Plenty of people do it.
Sorry about the ambiguity, I’m getting at the employment prospects really. I guess I’d get internships etc during the course but it would still be a gap of 5 years with no full-time employment (the masters is a 2 year course)
username4923090
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
so you're doing a masters because you believe you will get an internship? what field do you want to go into?
Bazyli
Rep:
?
(Original post by nightswatch1)
so you're doing a masters because you believe you will get an internship? what field do you want to go into?
I would like to get into international relations/diplomacy, specifically in Middle Eastern affairs, hence the course at Oxford looks ideal for me (you can study two Asian languages alongside it). Before I went to uni I took a gap year to work at a consultancy firm so I do have some work experience, but I’m wondering whether it’s a good idea to work for a couple of years and then do a masters instead
Diplomatic
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Bazyli)
I would like to get into international relations/diplomacy, specifically in Middle Eastern affairs, hence the course at Oxford looks ideal for me (you can study two Asian languages alongside it). Before I went to uni I took a gap year to work at a consultancy firm so I do have some work experience, but I’m wondering whether it’s a good idea to work for a couple of years and then do a masters instead
Well you don't need a master's to work as a diplomat in the Civil Service, which is the main way you'd get to do that in the UK (see the Fast Stream website). Plus they'd be able to give you some funding to do a master's if you like.

But the work you're talking about doing is very competitive, probably less difficult to get on the Oxford master's. So realistically it might be good to apply to both and see what you get.
Last edited by Diplomatic; 7 months ago
Bazyli
Rep:
?
(Original post by Patagonia)
Well you don't need a master's to work as a diplomat in the Civil Service, which is the main way you'd get to do that in the UK (see the Fast Stream website). Plus they'd be able to give you some funding to do a master's if you like.

But the work you're talking about doing is very competitive, probably less difficult to get on the Oxford master's. So realistically it might be good to apply to both and see what you get.
Thanks for the advice! I will certainly look into the diplomatic service, that looks so interesting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (93)
27.03%
No (251)
72.97%

Watched Threads