robwynn87
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I am currently studying a distance learning masters in Philosophy through Staffordshire University, due for completion May 2020.

I have been receiving the government funded masters loan. I am hoping to continue on with PhD study, probably via distance learning through Staffordshire again.

On the government website, in respect to the eligibility for the PhD loan, it says you are not eligible for the loan if “you’re behind in repayments for any previous loans from the Student Loans Company”.

I am currently working only part-time and not earning enough to pay back my student loan from way back or my Masters loan. Does this mean I am “behind in repayments” and thus I am not eligible for the PhD loan?

Thanks for any advice. Rob
Amy SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by robwynn87)
Hi, I am currently studying a distance learning masters in Philosophy through Staffordshire University, due for completion May 2020.

I have been receiving the government funded masters loan. I am hoping to continue on with PhD study, probably via distance learning through Staffordshire again.

On the government website, in respect to the eligibility for the PhD loan, it says you are not eligible for the loan if “you’re behind in repayments for any previous loans from the Student Loans Company”

I am currently working only part-time and not earning enough to pay back my student loan from way back or my Masters loan. Does this mean I am “behind in repayments” and thus I am not eligible for the PhD loan?

Thanks for any advice. Rob
Hi Rob,

You would only repay your loan if you are earning over the repayment threshold, if you are not earning over the repayment threshold this will not affect your eligibility to apply for a masters loan. The “you’re behind in repayments for any previous loans from the Student Loans Company” refers to arrears i.e if you are eligible to make payments and have not done so.

Thanks, Amy
robwynn87
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amy SFE)
Hi Rob,

You would only repay your loan if you are earning over the repayment threshold, if you are not earning over the repayment threshold this will not affect your eligibility to apply for a masters loan. The “you’re behind in repayments for any previous loans from the Student Loans Company” refers to arrears i.e if you are eligible to make payments and have not done so.

Thanks, Amy
Hi, thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify though, I hope to able to apply for the PhD loan. I am currently still receiving the masters loan. It sounds though the situation is the same? As I am not earning enough to repay the masters loan, this wont effect my eligibility for the PhD loan (which would be great news).

Thanks
Rob
Amy SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, thank you for the reply.

Just to clarify though, I hope to able to apply for the PhD loan. I am currently still receiving the masters loan. It sounds though the situation is the same? As I am not earning enough to repay the masters loan, this wont effect my eligibility for the PhD loan (which would be great news).

Thanks
Rob
Hi Rob,

You're welcome.

Yes if you are not eligible to repay then this will not affect your application to apply for the PhD loan.

Thanks, Amy
robwynn87
Rep:
?
(Original post by Amy SFE)
Hi Rob,

You're welcome.

Yes if you are not eligible to repay then this will not affect your application to apply for the PhD loan.

Thanks, Amy
That's really good to know. Thank you very much

Rob
Amy SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's really good to know. Thank you very much

Rob
You're welcome Rob

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks, Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
7.34%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (29)
16.38%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (25)
14.12%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (48)
27.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (33)
18.64%

Watched Threads