sofiuni
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello

I am meant to be starting my medicine course in a few weeks and am having second thoughts and just want to know what the best way forward is.

Should I definitely not do it, but may regret it in the future. Should I go and try the course but may have to leave at the end of first year. Should I start the course with the view to intercalating in leaving in third year?

I spoke to another university the other day and managed to get an offer off them through clearing and that's what I do if I do not start my medicine course.

Any of your opinions will be very much appreciated.
username3634736
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by sofiuni)
Hello

I am meant to be starting my medicine course in a few weeks and am having second thoughts and just want to know what the best way forward is.

Should I definitely not do it, but may regret it in the future. Should I go and try the course but may have to leave at the end of first year. Should I start the course with the view to intercalating in leaving in third year?

I spoke to another university the other day and managed to get an offer off them through clearing and that's what I do if I do not start my medicine course.

Hi

First, have you not accepted your place for the medical degree? Second, have you accepted the clearing course?

On the assumption you have declined your medical place, you may be able to re-apply but will have to call the university first to check if there is still a place. I would speak to admissions as you will then need to be removed from the clearing course.

In this situation, I would prepare a list of negatives and positives. Medicine would be lots of practical based work along with exams but very interesting and hands-on and I wish I had the grades to do it. So well done for making those grades.

You could go down the human biology route and then a master degree as a physicians associate for two years and onto a PhD. I know students have changed course after the 1st year but you may have to fund a year of student finance (I'm not certain of this best to check with student finance).

If you want to chat more just message me. I wish you all the best and once again well again for making those grades x
Student user
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think from what I've heard that medicine courses are really intense so I think it's natural to have second thoughts. I think it's a very hard course to get onto so if you leave now before you know what it's like and regret it then it'll be hard to reapply whereas with other courses reapplying would be easier. If you realise that you 100% don't want to do medicine and think you'll really regret having a career as a doctor then I would say decline the medicine course otherwise stay it. If you don't like it after a few weeks see if you can transfer onto another course.
sofiuni
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student user)
I think from what I've heard that medicine courses are really intense so I think it's natural to have second thoughts. I think it's a very hard course to get onto so if you leave now before you know what it's like and regret it then it'll be hard to reapply whereas with other courses reapplying would be easier. If you realise that you 100% don't want to do medicine and think you'll really regret having a career as a doctor then I would say decline the medicine course otherwise stay it. If you don't like it after a few weeks see if you can transfer onto another course.
Thanks both of you who replied. I feel like I'm not doubting it more now than I was at the start. I was never 100% certain about it so I kind of wish now that I had never applied because I now wouldn't have to make this decision to give it up and potentially regret doing so. I'm just not sure if I want to be a doctor or not tbh. I wouldn't transfer course because the medical school I am at is a pretty bad uni so I would probably struggle to get a good job on graduation.
Tabathaxx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
just a note ... if you did decide to transfer course after the 1st year it doesn't have to be at the same uni .. u would need to apply via ucas to ur choice of uni putting entry point 2 which I dictates u want to start at year 2 ( probably only going to be possible to bio medical sciences tho tbh.)
sofiuni
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tabathaxx)
just a note ... if you did decide to transfer course after the 1st year it doesn't have to be at the same uni .. u would need to apply via ucas to ur choice of uni putting entry point 2 which I dictates u want to start at year 2 ( probably only going to be possible to bio medical sciences tho tbh.)
What part of the year would I be able to do that? I don't know if I'd have made a decision by January 15th deadline
Aaliyah2001
Badges: 14
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks both of you who replied. I feel like I'm not doubting it more now than I was at the start. I was never 100% certain about it so I kind of wish now that I had never applied because I now wouldn't have to make this decision to give it up and potentially regret doing so. I'm just not sure if I want to be a doctor or not tbh. I wouldn't transfer course because the medical school I am at is a pretty bad uni so I would probably struggle to get a good job on graduation.
what uni do you go to?
Tabathaxx
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it would need to be the usual 15th of Jan date t go via ucas I'm afraid ... u would have had a full term by then ? or hope for an early clearing choice but that reduces ur options a lot !
Vibration
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello

Congratulations for being offered a place to study medicine, this is amazing.
What makes you think twice ?
If you were to do not go for medicine as it seems the regret will be thousands times more painful than going into medicine see how it goes and if you do not like it find another course and career.
sofiuni
Rep:
?
(Original post by Vibration)
Congratulations for being offered a place to study medicine, this is amazing.
What makes you think twice ?
If you were to do not go for medicine as it seems the regret will be thousands times more painful than going into medicine see how it goes and if you do not like it find another course and career.
thanks for the reply.

I am not really sure if I would regret medicine or not tbh. I'm not sure if I want to study for that long and i'm not sure if I want the stress and pressure that being a doctor brings.
Vibration
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you have any speciality in mind ?
sofiuni
Rep:
?
Do you have any speciality in mind ?
GP or psychiatry
Vibration
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
thanks for the reply.

I am not really sure if I would regret medicine or not tbh. I'm not sure if I want to study for that long and i'm not sure if I want the stress and pressure that being a doctor brings.
It is normal to have second thoughts as we all have thoughts like wtf am I doing ? is this the right thing and so on but actually if you look at the positives they should outweigh the negatives.
Being a doctor is difficult but rewarding and in addition to that you would not study medicine just for 4,5 or 6 years but for your whole life due to advancements in medicine in general and new cases and so on.
Once you are a qualified doctor you do no stop learning suddenly.
Vibration
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
GP or psychiatry
That is amazing.
Vibration
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
GP or psychiatry
Psychiatry is one of my favourites.
Vibration
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
GP or psychiatry
As an apiring psychiatric ,are you looking into psychotherapy aswell ?
Vibration
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As an apiring psychiatric ,are you looking into psychotherapy aswell ?
psychiatrist*
sofiuni
Rep:
?
It is normal to have second thoughts as we all have thoughts like wtf am I doing ? is this the right thing and so on but actually if you look at the positives they should outweigh the negatives.
Being a doctor is difficult but rewarding and in addition to that you would not study medicine just for 4,5 or 6 years but for your whole life due to advancements in medicine in general and new cases and so on.
Once you are a qualified doctor you do no stop learning suddenly.
I don't know if the positives do outweigh the negatives though tbh

positives: rewarding, interesting course, well paid, stable, well respected career.

negatives: responsibility and pressure, nights, weekends, out late, long and hard course, sacrifice social life, exams for years after graduation, having to relocate etc. etc.

Are you at medical school at the moment?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?