Adam14701470
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Sorry if this isn't the right place to post)
Quite long post ahead:
Like many others, I've just received my GCSE results. At the sixth form I'm going to next year, they allow students to take 3 subjects, but 4 in certain circumstances A career choice which I'm considering is Law, but I'm not locked on it. In general, as my careers adviser has told me, law courses at university don't care about subjects but rather look at the grades for A-Levels. Currently, I've chosen to take History, Psychology and French.

Initially, I had wanted to change these if my History or French GCSEs didn't come out as I wanted, but it turns out that I got 9s in all my GCSEs (sorry, this sounds really cocky.), so it's made me really indecisive and not really helped me to choose my subjects. I still want to keep my options open for different career choices if I end up not doing Law.
To add to the stress, one of my parents' close friends, who's a chartered surveyor, came round earlier to essentially tell me that he thinks all my options are rubbish, that employers will look dismissively at them, and has now convinced my parents to get them changed to Maths, Further Maths, and any two of the three sciences (which aren't subjects I'll struggle in, but rather ones I don't think I'll enjoy). My family is Chinese, so expectations are naturally high and a lot of my parents' other friends who are Asian see the subjects I want to study as a 'waste of talent/potential' when I could go into medicine/dentistry/engineering.

Now that my parents' friend has gone, he thinks that these new options are sealed, when I don't even know if I'll be able to change them at this point. I understand that he just wants the best for me, but I honestly feel like I'm going to have a breakdown because I'm so stressed right now and school is starting really soon. Any advice?
Last edited by Adam14701470; 3 weeks ago
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nah, your parent's friend is so wrong. :rofl:

I'm also into Law (:five:) and I can confirm you don't need all of those. Essay based subjects are nice, and Maths could be helpful (if you enjoy it), but don't take anything unless you really WANT to do it.

What did you pick on enrolment day?
Blossom-
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think if your original options are still the ones you think you will enjoy the most then you should do those. Even though you may be capable of doing other subjects I think you may lack the motivation to work for them due to you saying you don’t think you’ll enjoy them.
JJJJJAAAAMES
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Adam14701470)
Quite long post ahead:
Like many others, I've just received my GCSE results. At the sixth form I'm going to next year, they allow students to take 3 subjects. A career choice which I'm considering is Law, but I'm not locked on it. In general, as my careers adviser has told me, law courses at university don't care about subjects but rather look at the grades for A-Levels. Currently, I've chosen to take History, Psychology and French.

Initially, I had wanted to change these if my History or French GCSEs didn't come out as I wanted, but it turns out that I got 9s in all my GCSEs (sorry, this sounds really cocky.), so it's made me really indecisive and not really helped me to choose my subjects. I still want to keep my options open for different career choices if I end up not doing Law.

To add to the stress, one of my parents' close friends, who's a chartered surveyor, came round earlier to essentially tell me that he thinks all my options are rubbish, that employers will look dismissively at them, and has now convinced my parents to get them changed to Maths, Further Maths, and any two of the three sciences (which aren't subjects I'll struggle in, but rather ones I don't think I'll enjoy). Now that my parents' friend has gone, he thinks that these new options are sealed. I understand that he just wants the best for me, but I honestly feel like I'm going to have a breakdown because I'm so stressed right now and school is starting really soon. Any advice?
I think this link is particularly good: https://university.which.co.uk/advic...-level-choices

Pick the subjects you like most and do well in, but keep in mind your future prospects. Choosing facilitating subjects lets you be qualified for a wider range of degrees should you have a change of heart.
Adam14701470
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Nah, your parent's friend is so wrong. :rofl:

I'm also into Law (:five:) and I can confirm you don't need all of those. Essay based subjects are nice, and Maths could be helpful (if you enjoy it), but don't take anything unless you really WANT to do it.

What did you pick on enrolment day?
Thanks for the reply! I've said above that I want to take History, Psychology and French. The thing is, I'm not locked onto Law at uni, so I still want to keep options open.
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ok,subjects do matter, especially at higher ranked unis.
For example, someone studying Dance, Drama and Cooking won’t be offered a place over someone studying Law, History and English Literature.
Your subjects seem okay though.
Honestly don’t choose subjects you won’t enjoy. You probably won’t do well in them either.
Stick with yours. If you don’t like Them swap in the first few weeks
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the reply! I've said above that I want to take History, Psychology and French. The thing is, I'm not locked onto Law at uni, so I still want to keep options open.
Your options WILL be open. French is a language that unis look out for and History and Psychology consolidate those essay skills. You've got 9s in the cores at GCSE so they will see that too. Your options are fine!
confuzzledteen
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Sorry if this isn't the right place to post)
Quite long post ahead:
Like many others, I've just received my GCSE results. At the sixth form I'm going to next year, they allow students to take 3 subjects, but 4 in certain circumstances A career choice which I'm considering is Law, but I'm not locked on it. In general, as my careers adviser has told me, law courses at university don't care about subjects but rather look at the grades for A-Levels. Currently, I've chosen to take History, Psychology and French.

To add to the stress, one of my parents' close friends, who's a chartered surveyor, came round earlier to essentially tell me that he thinks all my options are rubbish, that employers will look dismissively at them, and has now convinced my parents to get them changed to Maths, Further Maths, and any two of the three sciences (which aren't subjects I'll struggle in, but rather ones I don't think I'll enjoy). My family is Chinese, so expectations are naturally high and a lot of my parents' other friends who are Asian see the subjects I want to study as a 'waste of talent/potential' when I could go into medicine/dentistry/engineering.

Now that my parents' friend has gone, he thinks that these new options are sealed, when I don't even know if I'll be able to change them at this point. I understand that he just wants the best for me, but I honestly feel like I'm going to have a breakdown because I'm so stressed right now and school is starting really soon. Any advice?
I think that if you want to get into Law, then your choices were really good. There are no specific subjects that you need to do at A Level to do law actually, but I believe that having an essay-based subject like history/english increases your chances of being accepted as law requires a lot of writing papers and whatnot. I understand your parents' friend as since you're not completely sure about what you want to do, the friend probably thinks that taking maths/ further maths keeps many pathways open for you. And that is true, because with maths/further maths, there really are so many pathways you can go down, like engineering, economics, actuarial science etc. So I think that if you're really unsure about what you want to do, then taking maths/further maths would be a good way of keeping your options open - you don't need FM though, just maths is good enough.
So yeah, to do law, I'd say keep history.
But psychology & French really aren't needed.
I think what would be best to keep your options open since you're undecided about what course you want to do in university would be to do history, maths, (maybe FM too if you really enjoy maths/ see yourself potentially straying down a Mathsy career pathway) and a Science, probably chemistry as its useful.
Maths, FM, history, chem - you could do so much, law included. Plus FM is a good indicator of potential to universities, so even if you don't need it for law, it shows them that you're bright
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your subjects look fantastic to me. Universities and employers will equally love them. :rambo:

Ignore the family friend. Literally does not know what he's talking about. This is coming from someone who's done an undergraduate degree and will now be doing postgraduate. And, I literally have hundreds of friends who have gone on to become lawyers, doctors, interpreters and the like without doing what your family friend suggested.
Catriona23
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry, but what on Earth is that guy on about? I’m about to do law and I’ve visited many universities and their law departments, who ALL say they look for essay based subjects. I would agree with taking maths, if you enjoy it to keep your options open (not if you’re doing law though - Scottish unis at least only look for N5 Maths or a Science at B) Maybe English Lit/Lang is one to consider?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Catriona23)
Maybe English Lit/Lang is one to consider?
OP could consider this if they really liked it but English actually isn't that relevant to Law (apart from picking up basic literary skills which they'll have attained through GCSE English Lit/Lang). History is definitely the most relevant and useful to Law and after that I'd go so far as to argue that both French and Psych (especially the latter) will teach OP critical research and analytical skills for Law (should they choose to do it) than English.

Don't get me wrong - I loved English at school and considered doing it at university (alongside Law or Classics) but I found AH English to be the most useless (out of my AH subjects) in terms of preparing me for my university studies (even though I ended up studying classical, medieval and contemporary literature throughout my undergrad). My friends who went onto doing Law said A level / AH History was invaluable.

Ergo, OP you're completely gucci with your subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate