The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by salmarahhal
hey guys what advicee do you give a grade 10 student about to start. and I really dont understand math and the 3 sciences what do I dooo????

maybe head to the year 11 thread to ask :smile: we're only mere year 9s lolol but for maths I definitely think practice makes perfect and just asking a lot of questions until you get it. Corbettmaths is really good (for me at least). For science Seneca learning seems cool. They explain stuff in a simple way.
Hi, for my GCSE I have to do market research. If you are free, could you please fill out this survey about sustainability it would only take a minute.https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/C6CMFR7
Original post by Nevi
Hello you lot

Not a Y9 (I am about to start Y13) but I sure do feel like one. I know my Y9 self would have needed this advice (whether I thought I needed it or not)

My GCSE experience is a pretty miserable one, I won’t scaremonger but I feel that saying this might spare someone else the grief.

Please please please please ignore anything your school tells you that makes you think these GCSEs are a matter of life and death. They are not. In fact, when you leave school and go onto college or sixth form they look like Y6 SATS. I was a top student for so many years at my school but I thought about them way to much and fell at the final hurdle. At the end of the day when you finish Y11 it is like having a fresh start, your GCSEs get you in to your college or Sixth form through their entry requirements but that’s about as significant as they get.

My school was graded “Outstanding” (*choke*) and saw that as an excuse to push their students beyond what they could handle. I only ever tried my best at school yet when I missed my target grades I was always apparently at fault. I know not every school is the same but please please understand that you should never be made to feel inadequate.

I have nine GCSEs.
History - 8
Eng Lit -8
Eng Lang - 7 (did in Y10)
French - 6
Bio - 6
Chem - 6
Phy - 6
Maths -6
Art - 6

Look at those grades and keep in mind what I am about to tell you now

I take 3 A levels and my predictions are
History -A*
Art -A*
Classics -A

In a few months time I am applying to Cambridge. Whether I get in or not is a different question, but in Y9 through to Y11 I would have scoffed at the idea. I was never “good enough” my school never gave me the chance to prove myself and they excluded me from any extra opportunities.

I wish that my school could see me now. Because they were wrong. My GCSEs are good in general standards but they aren’t perfect. I see people in TSR asking how to get all 9s, which is good and I hope you guys get those grades you want. But understand it isn’t everything.

Life will not be any easier to you if you get straight 9s. People I know who did are struggling now they have left school because they don’t have the school to tell them how amazing they are. Please ensure you have a life outside of school. Volunteer, enter competitions, do extra reading and write a diary on your subject. Go for walks where possible or join a sports club. Because GCSEs stay behind in the school you leave, the real world doesn’t care what you get. All your school really cares about it how good THEY look. Please please please be selfish, think only of yourselves, don’t let anyone try and force you into being someone your not for something that will not benefit you whatsoever.

I left school and decided to turn my life around. School had broken me and if I hadn’t the strength to see that they did I probably wouldn’t be going to university. Know that however important these are made out to be, all they do is allow you to enter A Levels. It is those A Levels that matter, so long as you pass maths and English as part of 5 GCSEs.

Don’t take this as my word to not care about them. Please do! Having good grades makes your life a little bit easier. But don’t put your entire life on these exams that don’t mean much in life. Your character and achievement beyond a standard textbook is valued more, absolutely anyone can poop out facts they took from a school book and get praised for it, is it a good life skill? Not necessarily.

My little brother is your age and I hope he and you all do as best as you can. But please please please don’t panic 💖

may i ask how you were the top student since i seem to just be at average but most of the time i end up failing every module test we have and was wondering if you could help
Reply 203
Original post by nikkiblonsky
may i ask how you were the top student since i seem to just be at average but most of the time i end up failing every module test we have and was wondering if you could help

Honestly, I don’t know. I have a good memory, I think earlier on in school years I could just remember the answers, but that only gets you so far...

Just remember module tests mean nothing. I did incredibly well in the first four years then fell at my fifth. The best advice I can give you is try your best, don’t stress, do little but lots of revision so by the time you come to real exams you have all your rss ready, have free time.

School before college really doesn’t matter much at the end of the day. Just try your best xx
HI GUYSSSSSSSS!! what did you all choose for GCSE??
i chose:
higher maths
triple science
business
food & nutrition
french
geography
maybe we could help each other (if you have any subjects in common) xoxo
Original post by harleyx123
HI GUYSSSSSSSS!! what did you all choose for GCSE??
i chose:
higher maths
triple science
business
food & nutrition
french
geography
maybe we could help each other (if you have any subjects in common) xoxo

heyy,
i do higher maths, triple science and geography too. what examboards do you do for them?
Original post by b1nary
heyy,
i do higher maths, triple science and geography too. what examboards do you do for them?

omg that's great !!!

triple science - AQA
higher maths - edexcel
geography - AQA
what about you?
Original post by Nevi
Hello you lot

Not a Y9 (I am about to start Y13) but I sure do feel like one. I know my Y9 self would have needed this advice (whether I thought I needed it or not)

My GCSE experience is a pretty miserable one, I won’t scaremonger but I feel that saying this might spare someone else the grief.

Please please please please ignore anything your school tells you that makes you think these GCSEs are a matter of life and death. They are not. In fact, when you leave school and go onto college or sixth form they look like Y6 SATS. I was a top student for so many years at my school but I thought about them way to much and fell at the final hurdle. At the end of the day when you finish Y11 it is like having a fresh start, your GCSEs get you in to your college or Sixth form through their entry requirements but that’s about as significant as they get.

My school was graded “Outstanding” (*choke*) and saw that as an excuse to push their students beyond what they could handle. I only ever tried my best at school yet when I missed my target grades I was always apparently at fault. I know not every school is the same but please please understand that you should never be made to feel inadequate.

I have nine GCSEs.
History - 8
Eng Lit -8
Eng Lang - 7 (did in Y10)
French - 6
Bio - 6
Chem - 6
Phy - 6
Maths -6
Art - 6

Look at those grades and keep in mind what I am about to tell you now

I take 3 A levels and my predictions are
History -A*
Art -A*
Classics -A

In a few months time I am applying to Cambridge. Whether I get in or not is a different question, but in Y9 through to Y11 I would have scoffed at the idea. I was never “good enough” my school never gave me the chance to prove myself and they excluded me from any extra opportunities.

I wish that my school could see me now. Because they were wrong. My GCSEs are good in general standards but they aren’t perfect. I see people in TSR asking how to get all 9s, which is good and I hope you guys get those grades you want. But understand it isn’t everything.

Life will not be any easier to you if you get straight 9s. People I know who did are struggling now they have left school because they don’t have the school to tell them how amazing they are. Please ensure you have a life outside of school. Volunteer, enter competitions, do extra reading and write a diary on your subject. Go for walks where possible or join a sports club. Because GCSEs stay behind in the school you leave, the real world doesn’t care what you get. All your school really cares about it how good THEY look. Please please please be selfish, think only of yourselves, don’t let anyone try and force you into being someone your not for something that will not benefit you whatsoever.

I left school and decided to turn my life around. School had broken me and if I hadn’t the strength to see that they did I probably wouldn’t be going to university. Know that however important these are made out to be, all they do is allow you to enter A Levels. It is those A Levels that matter, so long as you pass maths and English as part of 5 GCSEs.

Don’t take this as my word to not care about them. Please do! Having good grades makes your life a little bit easier. But don’t put your entire life on these exams that don’t mean much in life. Your character and achievement beyond a standard textbook is valued more, absolutely anyone can poop out facts they took from a school book and get praised for it, is it a good life skill? Not necessarily.

My little brother is your age and I hope he and you all do as best as you can. But please please please don’t panic 💖

bro how did you get 8s in ENGLISH!!
I'm great at every other subject, but NOT English :frown::frown::frown:
please may you guide me?
what shall I do? (if you don't mind):smile:
Original post by harleyx123
omg that's great !!!

triple science - AQA
higher maths - edexcel
geography - AQA
what about you?

heyy,
i do the same for triple science and maths! but for geography i do edexcel b :s-smilie:
Original post by b1nary
heyy,
i do the same for triple science and maths! but for geography i do edexcel b :s-smilie:

ah, that's cool. x
Reply 210
Hi guys. I know this is the year 9 thread and you still have some time before your GCSEs but if anyone wants gcse separate science notes for edexcel, PM me. If you haven't started to make any notes yet or just want grade 9 notes, this will be a create resource for u!
Original post by Sonu44
Hi guys. I know this is the year 9 thread and you still have some time before your GCSEs but if anyone wants gcse separate science notes for edexcel, PM me. If you haven't started to make any notes yet or just want grade 9 notes, this will be a create resource for u!

i'm doing AQA :s-smilie:
Original post by Sonu44

hey, your PMs are closed?
wait so what happens with this thread now bc most of us are basically year 10s now so do we just move to a year 10 2020-2021 thread or what?
Original post by TazmeenX
wait so what happens with this thread now bc most of us are basically year 10s now so do we just move to a year 10 2020-2021 thread or what?

i think in september, someone is gonna make a new thread for the new year 10s (us)
guyssssss, what are you all doing for GCSE?
I'm doing:
triple science - AQA
higher maths - Edexcel
food & nutrition - WJEC
business - edexcel
geography - AQA
french AQA

Original post by b1nary
i think in september, someone is gonna make a new thread for the new year 10s (us)

After GCSE results day (20th August) they (the mods or you guys) can create a new Year 10 2020-2021 thread :smile:. Normally, mods will allow you to post a new year 10 thread the on the week beginning (Monday 24th August) after GCSE results day :smile:

So, if anyone want to plan to create the new year 10 thread 2020-2021 feel free to do so (I recommend Microsoft word) , however DO NOT post it until the 24th August (you'll might get in trouble with the mods if you post it before that time)
(edited 3 years ago)

I think Lemur14 is planning to make all the threads for the year groups on 21st August :smile:
Original post by laurawatt
I think Lemur14 is planning to make all the threads for the year groups on 21st August :smile:

21st is a bit too early don't you think? They (the mods) would still need to support students during from the aftermath of GCSEs results day (unless I'm wrong?)
(edited 3 years ago)
UPDATED Q&A

How are you guys feeling about going into year 10? Tbh I'm very excited for you guys! :h:

What GCSEs options have you chosen now?

How do you feel about finishing year 9?

Have you found out what grades you got for your end of year test?

What are you most worried about for next year?
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest