The Student Room Group

What could I study/work as in the future with these A-level subjects?

I don't really know what I want to do in the future. I like writing, and it's what most people agree is my best skill. However, it's my understanding that writing, be it as a journalist, author or freelancer, is a very unstable job, so I'm avoiding it.

I'm planning on doing English Literature because I thoroughly enjoy the subject. I kind of want to do Biology. I usually don't like STEM subjects, but I love studying that particular science. I'm unsure if I would want to do a career in it though. I also have some worries if its okay to only do one science.

For the third A-level, I'm struggling to decide between Psychology, History and French, all being subjects I enjoy. I worry about how respected psychology is and also don't know what it's like to learn it in the classroom, so that's the subject I'm least likely to do. I also worry about how useful a language would be.

If you'd like to know, I did three GCSEs early and the results I got were a 7 in Chemistry, an 8 in Biology and a 9 in Spanish. In my mocks (done a month ago) I got a 7 in History, a 5 in French (the whole year had to sit the Foundation paper so I don't know how I would fare in the Higher, but I got the highest amount of marks in the year) and a 6 in English Literature.

Since I don't know what I want to do in the future, I just would like to know what doors these subjects would open for me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Most jobs don't require specific A Levels, so you're hardly closing the doors by picking English Literature, Biology and any of the third ones, especially considering you have two facilitating subjects there already. I feel like doing French would be a good one, as knowing a second language opens LOADS of doors to different careers (not just as a translator!). English Literature is just an all round good one for building skills and you could use it to work in certain sectors like media or journalism. Biology would allow for quite a few careers as well, though I'm less knowledgeable on which ones don't require maths or another science (please don't take this to mean that you need to do maths or another science, you don't have to).
Reply 2
Original post by _polaroid
Most jobs don't require specific A Levels, so you're hardly closing the doors by picking English Literature, Biology and any of the third ones, especially considering you have two facilitating subjects there already. I feel like doing French would be a good one, as knowing a second language opens LOADS of doors to different careers (not just as a translator!). English Literature is just an all round good one for building skills and you could use it to work in certain sectors like media or journalism. Biology would allow for quite a few careers as well, though I'm less knowledgeable on which ones don't require maths or another science (please don't take this to mean that you need to do maths or another science, you don't have to).

Thank you! You've given me a bit more confidence in studying Biology :smile:
I'm fluent in Spanish, would a job I apply to not recognise a language unless I studied it for A-levels? Should I still study French even though I'm already bilingual?
Reply 3
Original post by 07dasein
Thank you! You've given me a bit more confidence in studying Biology :smile:
I'm fluent in Spanish, would a job I apply to not recognise a language unless I studied it for A-levels? Should I still study French even though I'm already bilingual?

Not sure I understand - are you bilingual in French and also fluent in Spanish?
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Not sure I understand - are you bilingual in French and also fluent in Spanish?

No, I'm fluent in Spanish which makes me bilingual. Should I also study French?
Reply 5
Original post by 07dasein
No, I'm fluent in Spanish which makes me bilingual. Should I also study French?

Ah, cool. Well I wouldnt take Spanish A level unless you have a bit of an emergency, but French would be great - and leave loads of options for university courses.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, cool. Well I wouldnt take Spanish A level unless you have a bit of an emergency, but French would be great - and leave loads of options for university courses.

Okay, thank you for your advice! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest