confuzzledteen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm starting sixth form in a few weeks, and today I had to decide which A Levels I'm taking. I know that at university, I'll either do medicine or economics, however I haven't decided which yet. Therefore, I want to do A Levels that'll allow me to take either course when it comes to making the decision later on in the year.

I have currently signed up for Chemistry, Biology, Maths & Further Maths. However, I've got this gut feeling that I'm not doing the right thing. I really want to drop biology for economics because if I were to do economics at university, I'd be aiming for a top university whereas if I were to do medicine, I'd aim for a mediocre one.

So I guess my question is; if I were to drop biology & take economics instead, would my chances of getting to a top university for economics improve (e.g. LSE, Cambridge) and would I still be able to do medicine if I change my mind?
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by confuzzledteen)
I'm starting sixth form in a few weeks, and today I had to decide which A Levels I'm taking. I know that at university, I'll either do medicine or economics, however I haven't decided which yet. Therefore, I want to do A Levels that'll allow me to take either course when it comes to making the decision later on in the year.

I have currently signed up for Chemistry, Biology, Maths & Further Maths. However, I've got this gut feeling that I'm not doing the right thing. I really want to drop biology for economics because if I were to do economics at university, I'd be aiming for a top university whereas if I were to do medicine, I'd aim for a mediocre one.

So I guess my question is; if I were to drop biology & take economics instead, would my chances of getting to a top university for economics improve (e.g. LSE, Cambridge) and would I still be able to do medicine if I change my mind?
Well your chances depend a lot on grades. I think biology may be required for medicine though.
Have you checked some medicine courses you’re considering?
And the LSE required subjects for economics?
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by confuzzledteen)

You need to look for most unis they have different things some don’t care about economics for economics though generally it would look quite strange if you applied for economics without having ever studied it. For medicine not all unis require biology, just chem and another science (maths would count) but again would look strange, I think it’s something you would need to really decide before picking one or the other. Because for top uni’s you want to really show your interested in your subjects and while your personal statement can show that you don’t want your alevels to conflict (I.e I’ve always had a passion to study economics but your not actually studying it) overall though top grades are more key and for medicine your test scores. But in an interview they would 100% ask you probably why you didn’t take certain key subjects and you would have to answer most likely
Bill Nye
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm sure quite a few require biology and one other science
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?