A Level Subjects for Politics and International Relations Watch

AbdallaOsama
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello, I would like to study Politics and International Relations in the future at a top uni (hoping for lse or ucl but all depends on results). I've just finished GCSEs and gotten all A* and a B in English.
My current A level choices are (and what I got for GCSE)
History (A*)
Arabic (A*)
Sociology (Wasn't an option for gcse)
Economics (Which I didn't do at gcse)

- So I just wanted to know if this was a decent pick for A levels, and also wanted to know if economics would be terribly difficult and hard to pick up just because I didn't do it for gcse??? If anyone is doing similar subjects, hows the workload?

Thanks
S.carter
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by AbdallaOsama)
Hello, I would like to study Politics and International Relations in the future at a top uni (hoping for lse or ucl but all depends on results). I've just finished GCSEs and gotten all A* and a B in English.
History (A*)
Arabic (A*)

- So I just wanted to know if this was a decent pick for A levels, and also wanted to know if economics would be terribly difficult and hard to pick up just because I didn't do it for gcse??? If anyone is doing similar subjects, hows the workload?

Thanks
Not sure about sociology, I’d probably go for Maths, Politics or another foreign language if you want to do international relations.
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
History (A*)
Arabic (A*)

Thanks
Economics is fine without GCSE economics but most people who do it at alevel also do alevel maths also with sociology it might be better to pick a facilitating subject as some uni’s prefer this but you need to look what counts as facilitating at each uni but usually history geography, English lit, maths, languages and sciences are what they want over newer subjects like sociology or business for example for some of the very top courses but if you look you can see, if not sociology I would maybe do politics if possible as that is a huge part of international relations and most people who apply will have that or maths and economics -
I would say economics politics or history are all good choices
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
History (A*)
Arabic (A*)

Thanks
Are you a native speaker of Arabic? If so, it might be a little pointless to do the A level as universities might just ignore it. History, Sociology and Economics like excellent choices for what you want to do at university. :rambo: Other relevant subjects you could consider doing could be A level Politics, A level Religious Studies or another foreign language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
8.91%
Disagree (5)
4.95%
Neither agree or disagree (32)
31.68%
Agree (40)
39.6%
Strongly Agree (15)
14.85%

Watched Threads