abc3fghi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys, this is really a question for those that have done their first year of a GEM course. I’m going to be starting Graduate Entry Medicine in around two weeks and was wondering how intense I should expect it to be, how many hours should I be putting in outside of what’s scheduled by the university? I come from a completely non biology/chemistry background so am not sure what to expect. Also any recommendations for how to cope with it and any other tips and advice would be very helpful.

Thank you.
Marathi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I'm a second year GEM student (nearly third - hopefully!).

First year was intense. There's no right or wrong amount of hours, it's whatever you need to do to stay on top of your notes and understanding so that when revision time rolls round (which it soon does) you're ready to hit the ground running. Our cohort was quite split in first year with ~2/3rds of the year not turning up to lectures (certainly towards the end of the year, numbers were maybe even worse) and the rest attending lectures. People who didn't attend lectures would even go through the presentations on their own, or watch the lecture recordings (normally at 1.5 speed!). I preferred attending lectures in person though.

People tended to either work in the evenings spending maybe 1-3hrs a night doing things, or would work at weekends. I would do a bit of both but probably did the majority of my work at weekends.

Having a good network of friends and social support will help tremendously. At times we have all had our low moments and having people to turn to and vent with was really welcoming and helpful. Also make use of support services offered by your uni, if you're struggling let someone know!

Regardless of all this, my first year of GEM was great. I've never learnt so many fascinating and mind-blowing things in such a condensed amount of time. Everyday I would leave lectures in awe of the human body and what it can do. We also had fun in clinical skills and taking histories from patients for the first time, so lots of things to look forward to! (Plus there's still time to get to the pub, mental health pints are a necessity!)
abc3fghi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Marathi)
Hey, I'm a second year GEM student (nearly third - hopefully!).

First year was intense. There's no right or wrong amount of hours, it's whatever you need to do to stay on top of your notes and understanding so that when revision time rolls round (which it soon does) you're ready to hit the ground running. Our cohort was quite split in first year with ~2/3rds of the year not turning up to lectures (certainly towards the end of the year, numbers were maybe even worse) and the rest attending lectures. People who didn't attend lectures would even go through the presentations on their own, or watch the lecture recordings (normally at 1.5 speed!). I preferred attending lectures in person though.

People tended to either work in the evenings spending maybe 1-3hrs a night doing things, or would work at weekends. I would do a bit of both but probably did the majority of my work at weekends.

Having a good network of friends and social support will help tremendously. At times we have all had our low moments and having people to turn to and vent with was really welcoming and helpful. Also make use of support services offered by your uni, if you're struggling let someone know!

Regardless of all this, my first year of GEM was great. I've never learnt so many fascinating and mind-blowing things in such a condensed amount of time. Everyday I would leave lectures in awe of the human body and what it can do. We also had fun in clinical skills and taking histories from patients for the first time, so lots of things to look forward to! (Plus there's still time to get to the pub, mental health pints are a necessity!)
Thank you for the reply, this is calming in a lot of ways to hear, can I ask what you studied before medicine? And how was second year compared to first?
Marathi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by abc3fghi)
Thank you for the reply, this is calming in a lot of ways to hear, can I ask what you studied before medicine? And how was second year compared to first?
Not a problem! I did Graphic Design before starting medicine, so a very big change. Second year has been a lot different for us at Warwick, we go from having a lot of lectures and taught content in first year (and start of second year), to just being let loose in the hospitals on our own after the Christmas break until August. Some people have struggled with the freedom and others take advantage of it. The content has been less difficult in second year and a lot more time to wrap your head round it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (29)
6.94%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (244)
58.37%
No (145)
34.69%

Watched Threads