Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I passed everything. I'll just tell you the main ones:
English Lit: 5
English Language: 4
Maths: 4
Chemistry: 4

I want to do A-Level Maths and Chemistry. The entry requirements is a 5 at a minimum but if I explain to the college my circumstances, do you think they might let me slip on to these courses if I promise to work really hard?
adviceisallineed
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheOkayStudent)
I passed everything. I'll just tell you the main ones:
English Lit: 5
English Language: 4
Maths: 4
Chemistry: 4

I want to do A-Level Maths and Chemistry. The entry requirements is a 5 at a minimum but if I explain to the college my circumstances, do you think they might let me slip on to these courses if I promise to work really hard?
you said 'I tell them my circumstances' so they might consider you. like you do have an explanation
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Maybe they would but I would say you would struggle they have level requirements for a reason, they don’t want you to take it and do badly, I would say especially with maths I got a 7 in maths and I switched alevels bcz I found it to hard so maybe think about it ? But if your super determined (which is the first step to success) you have to ask and see the worst they can do is say no and they would only do that to prevent you from undertaking something you would struggle at (they say an A at GCSE is like an E at alevel which I found true I took my first maths course assement and got an E) is there other choices or alevels you would consider ?
username4925522
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
(Original post by adviceisallineed)
you said 'I tell them my circumstances' so they might consider you. like you do have an explanation
Yeah, there are a lot of things which were setbacks. My school had lots of supply teachers, our mocks went missing, for some subjects we barely had a stable teacher, they switched our Maths exam board halfway through Year 11, and we were messed around with Maths teachers as well. And I'd tell them that I'm willing to catch up and do any extra work they need to set me, which I would be.
ohdearstudying
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It depends what your circumstances was, unless you had something that would fit the extenuating circumstances criterions and were predicted 9-7s prior, I would not suggest it.

A friend of mine got straight 9s at GCSE and is (temporarily albeit because everyone's grades in my school change) predicted A*A*C because she finds maths so difficult.

It's not really about trying to 'slip on' it's about the rigour of the subject. As someone who got a 4 in Chemistry and you only needed ~32% last year for that grade I would argue that I am not qualified to take the subject on.

I disagree with schools having grade requirements so low as it's not fair on the students who will suffer for two years.
username4925522
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilybond:))
Maybe they would but I would say you would struggle they have level requirements for a reason, they don’t want you to take it and do badly, I would say especially with maths I got a 7 in maths and I switched alevels bcz I found it to hard so maybe think about it ? But if your super determined (which is the first step to success) you have to ask and see the worst they can do is say no and they would only do that to prevent you from undertaking something you would struggle at (they say an A at GCSE is like an E at alevel which I found true I took my first maths course assement and got an E) is there other choices or alevels you would consider ?
Hi Emily,

I understand I may find these A-Levels difficult and if I do I have a backup plan. If these A-Levels become too much of a struggle for me, then I will switch to English Literature and Law.

My "circumstances" were mainly my school. Sometimes we had teachers, sometimes we didn't- for some subjects, we didn't really have a stable teacher. Our mocks went missing too, for Maths we switched exam boards halfway through Year 11, the mode of marking was a lot stricter than how our teachers marked our papers too- a lot of us got way lower than expected. Not to mention my school is over £4 million in debt.

I would definitely be willing to work extra hard to catch up, even if that means staying back after class, doing extra homework, stopping watching TV and spending time with friends or on social media.

Thanks for your reply by the way
emilybond:)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheOkayStudent)
Hi Emily,

I understand I may find these A-Levels difficult and if I do I have a backup plan. If these A-Levels become too much of a struggle for me, then I will switch to English Literature and Law.

My "circumstances" were mainly my school. Sometimes we had teachers, sometimes we didn't- for some subjects, we didn't really have a stable teacher. Our mocks went missing too, for Maths we switched exam boards halfway through Year 11, the mode of marking was a lot stricter than how our teachers marked our papers too- a lot of us got way lower than expected. Not to mention my school is over £4 million in debt.

I would definitely be willing to work extra hard to catch up, even if that means staying back after class, doing extra homework, stopping watching TV and spending time with friends or on social media.

Thanks for your reply by the way
You can always try if they let you if your willing to do lots of work and I hope it works out well for you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.8%
Disagree (4)
7.84%
Neither agree or disagree (14)
27.45%
Agree (18)
35.29%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.61%

Watched Threads